My Sony Bravia KDL-46HX853 Settings After Calibration

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
This may be of help to anyone with a Sony HX853 TV

My Sony 46HX853 2D Settings For General TV Viewing, Blu-ray & 3D Done After 1hr Warm Up Time[/b]

On the home button[/b]

Settings>System>settings[/b]

Scene select: Cinema

ECO settings[/b]

Power Saving: Off

Scene Select Sync: Off

Light Sensor: Off

Idle TV Standby: Off

PC Power Management: Off

Display>Picture[/b]

Target Inputs: Common

Picture mode: Cinema 1

Backlight: 2 or 3 (dependant on room lighting)

Contrast: 90

Brightness: 50

Colour: 50

Hue: 0

Colour Temperature: Warm 2

Sharpness: 50

Noise Reduction: off

MPEG Noise Reduction: off

Dot Noise Reduction: off

Reality Creation: Off

Video Area Detection: Off

Resolution: Min

Noise Filtering: Min

Smooth Gradation: Off

Motionflow: Clear or Clear Plus for General TV Viewing & OFF For Blu-ray[/b]

Film Mode: AUTO1 or OFF

Advanced Settings[/b]

Black Corrector: Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off

Gamma: -1

LED Dynamic Control: Low

Auto Light Limiter: Off

Clear White: Off

Live Colour: Off

White Balance: RGB Gain / Bias -5 0 -2 -1 0 0

Detail Enhancer: Off

Edge Enhancer: Off

Skin Naturaliser: Off

i/p Conversion Preference: Quality

3D Settings[/b]

All Settings stay the same except the following Change[/b]

On the home button[/b]

Display>Picture[/b]

Contrast:[/b] 98

Motionflow: [/b]Off[/b]

Film Mode[/b]: Auto 2

Advanced Settings[/b]

White Balance[/b]: RGB Gain / Bias -2 -6 0 0 0 0

Display>3D Settings[/b]

3D Depth Adjustment: 0

3D Glasses Brightness: Low

I hasten to add that these settings relate to my tv, all panels are not created equal, but it may be a good point to start from when calibrating your HX853.

Regards ...

D

Deleted member 2457

Not too many settings then!
smiley-laughing.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

f1only said:
lol it has a big menu gel, more so than my old Samsung..

smiley-laughing.gif
Say that again, I can't believe how complicated they are!

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
The way thing are going your going to need a degree in setting a tv up, it is certainly worse than the old CRT TV's. Personally I think all TV's should be calibrated at the factory.
smiley-laughing.gif

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi.

I'm thinking of buying the 46HX853... One thing that confuses me on the WHF review of this set. What doesthe below sentance mean..!
No great shakes at upscaling DVD and to let Blu-ray do the duites..! ?

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
HI f1only,

I've recently bought a 55HX853 and would like to know if you see any backlighlight bleed on the TV in dark surroundings. I've seen that Oldboy has posted previously that it is apparent on his when there's no input and on certain menus. I'm seeing it too (again, it seems to be localised to the bottom left of the screen). For the vast majority of the time it's not noticeable during normal viewing, but I can still notice it on an almost entirely black screen. My backlight setting is 2 and even at minimum, it's still visible on the menus. I haven't seem too many issues of backlight bleed on these TVs and am starting to wonder if I'm over analysing it. Any advice from others is also appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
mikey2008 said:
HI f1only,

I've recently bought a 55HX853 and would like to know if you see any backlighlight bleed on the TV in dark surroundings. I've seen that Oldboy has posted previously that it is apparent on his when there's no input and on certain menus. I'm seeing it too (again, it seems to be localised to the bottom left of the screen). For the vast majority of the time it's not noticeable during normal viewing, but I can still notice it on an almost entirely black screen. My backlight setting is 2 and even at minimum, it's still visible on the menus. I haven't seem too many issues of backlight bleed on these TVs and am starting to wonder if I'm over analysing it. Any advice from others is also appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

I've never had an instance of bleed that has impacted the picture when watching tv or movies after calibrating the screen and bleed has only been visible when viewing the menus or in Game mode, at all other times it's not an issue. I'm sure the tv is boosting the backlight when it's visible as it's done for Game mode to give the picture more impact and I'm sure the menus are boosted for clarity so you can read the text easier.

Have you tried using the Auto Light Limiter and the Light Sensor options? Light Limiter reduces contrast glare which can help reduce the effects and the Light Sensor adjusts the picture to better suit your viewing enviroment and both when used together can reduce the effect of bleed quite considerably but most people with some knowledge stear clear of them as they tend to affect picture quality and are no substitute for a well calibrated screen.

I would suggest that if you are seeing bleed through normal use when watching tv and movies then it may indicate an issue, have you calibrated the screen? The settings left by f1only are a great starting point but my tvs settings are slightly different to those he posted so it's worth doing a calibration of brightness, contrast and colour at least I would suggest.

As long as the bleed doesn't impact on picture quality during normal viewing it's not an issue but if it is visible after calibration then it may indicate an issue. One other thing...I found the LED Dynamic Control really helped too so keep this set to standard at all times, it also produces far better black levels too.

Hope that is of some help.

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks Oldboy. So far, I've left the Auto Light Limiter, Light Sensor and LED Dynamic Control options off, but I'll certainly look at the settings, particularly the latter. The TV hasn't been calibrated with a disc, but I've used what I think have been sensible settings. I haven't seen the clouding on anything other than a black screen - I checked the Star Wars BD just before the opening credits when the screen is black and the Lucasfilm logo appears and I could see it slightly in the bottom left. I'll have another play tonight. Thanks again for the info.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
mikey2008 said:
Many thanks Oldboy. So far, I've left the Auto Light Limiter, Light Sensor and LED Dynamic Control options off, but I'll certainly look at the settings, particularly the latter. The TV hasn't been calibrated with a disc, but I've used what I think have been sensible settings. I haven't seen the clouding on anything other than a black screen - I checked the Star Wars BD just before the opening credits when the screen is black and the Lucasfilm logo appears and I could see it slightly in the bottom left. I'll have another play tonight. Thanks again for the info.

No worries. The LED Dynamic Control should see the issue disappear so set it to standard, my screen has some quite bad bleed that is visible as you describe on the bottom left and also bottom right of the screen (although it's not as bad here) just as I see it when viewing the menus but during normal viewing when the picture presets kick in there is no issue so I'm pretty sure this will be the same for you.

If you use the settings supplied by f1only in this thread you won't be far off from having a spot on picture, if you can adjust the brightness, contrast and colour with a THX dvd such as Star Wars (it's not on the bluray unfortunately) that will make sure the settings are correct for your room. It's found under the language menu if I recall correctly, you click on the THX logo and away you go...it's all clearly described for you and won't take long (about 10mins).

Let me know how you get on, fingers crossed the LED Dynamic Control sorts out the bleed for you :pray:

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
How are you getting on Oldboy any better or worse for you?

+1 to Oldboys reply mikey2008 , as i mentioned in my settings post every panel is not created equal. I did have a small amount of backlight bleed in the bottom left & right of the panel but once calibrated properly it has disappeared. These settings given are from my calibrated TV & are probably a good starting point for you to continue from using a calibration disc for your TV using your own specific preferences.

Regards ...

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Oldboy and f1only. I think it probably is the settings as I haven't seen a snifter of any problems in forums/reviews with normal picture viewing. I'll give the suggestions a go and get the calibration discs.

Cheers,

Mike

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
If you want to do it on the cheap you can download the AVCHD 709 disc which should play in most Blu-ray players & includes video introduction on basic TV calibration. Found here clicky you have to download AVCHD.EXE file & write it to a normal DVD there are instructions on the website.

Regards ...

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
f1only said:
If you want to do it on the cheap you can download the AVCHD 709 disc which should play in most Blu-ray players & includes video introduction on basic TV calibration. Found here clicky you have to download AVCHD.EXE file & write it to a normal DVD there are instructions on the website.

Regards ...

Which is exactly what I done when I got my first plasma tv some years ago now and have continued to use it ever since, I've found it better than both of the retail discs I bought (DVE Essentials and Spears and Munsil) and it even includes some handy videos if you are a first time user, it's really accurate too and if you use the settings given by f1only then you should only need a few tweaks to get the best picture for your room.

Yes it looks daunting at first when you look at what you need to do to get the disc copied onto a dvd but trust me it's really simple and every stage is clearly explained to you and best of all it's completely free, well worth doing as I've got so much use out of it since I first copied my disc.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
f1only said:
How are you getting on Oldboy any better or worse for you?

+1 to Oldboys reply mikey2008 , as i mentioned in my settings post every panel is not created equal. I did have a small amount of backlight bleed in the bottom left & right of the panel but once calibrated properly it has disappeared. These settings given are from my calibrated TV & are probably a good starting point for you to continue from using a calibration disc for your TV using your own specific preferences.

Regards ...

Hello Paul, my sincere apologies for not getting back to you sooner...just kept forgetting to reply with the results of your settings as I seem to have the memory of a goldfish of late lol.

I have indeed used your settings for both 2D and 3D and I must say that the difference made by just adjusting the white balance to your setting was remarkable, whites are now lovely and clean and it's really made a difference to colours too with skin tones now much more lifelike. The only changes I have had to make to your setting is to increase the brightness slightly from 50 to 51 and a slight increase to colour too from 50 to 52 after checking the results against my AVSHD disc.

It's the contrast too which has really changed from my previous setting which has taken a jump from my previous 72 setting to your 87 calibration result, it felt really alien at first and too strong but now I've got used to it I really like it and it gives more insight into dark scenes. I've always struggled to get the contrast setting correct so this is one setting (along with the white balance) that I seriously doubt I would have got correct without your help so many thanks for sending me the results of your calibration it's been very much appreciated.

Even the 3D settings have made things better and really helped with picture quality, as with 2D the white balance has really been remarkable and I'm much happier as it seems to take alot of strain away from 3D viewing with your settings. I've even applied your 2D settings to all my 2D picture modes as it's that good and the results have been great across the board!

I can't thank you enough for taking the time and trouble to send the calibration results to me, you are a top man for doing that :cheers:

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Nick, glad to be of help, anything to improve the viewing experience is a bonus.

I found the contrast setting for me over the 709 disc an improvement as you say the Black & white, once the white balance was corrected it's almost a night & day difference - excuse the slight pun there. Reducing the Red bias was also the major factor & i am now very impressed with the quality of picture on this set. A definate improvement on image quality over my old Samsung 40" 656 but then the tech has come on at a pace since 2008 with TVs.

On the Sony BDPS790 Blu-ray player front that i bought with the TV, though the picture is on a par with the old Pioneer i still own, it is not quite as jaggy on panning & fast moving shots. Sound wise i think it just edges it but not by a massive amount & as i never used the PQLS system on the Pioneer BDP320 with a Pioneer amp i dont know if it would be an improvement on it. The only thing that lets the Sony player down is the lack of inbuilt HDD of 1Gb for the Blu-ray live feature, i do have a 16gb pen drive i can plug in to it, if i needed it.

Regards ... Paul

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Oldboy and f1only,

Turns out, I was being really stupid with the settings. The main problem was a bleed effect with the BD picture. Had a look at an old thread where someone asked about being unable to change BD picture settings during playback. Oldboy mentioned the sync settings to open the picture options during playback. This is what I hadn't done - I assumed the picture settings were transferable between TV and BD playback, but obviously not. The default backlight setting for playback was 7, which explains everything. I've now switched it to 3 and everything's good. Many thanks lads!

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi mikey2008

Sounds good to me glad you are pleased with the TV now.

I have my backlight setting set to 3 for everything, works well for me, the settings as it were out of the box are not brilliant & need just a bit of tweeking to get a good picture without the bleed.

The settings out of the box are set up for shop viewing, which tends to make it brighter due to conditions in most outlets being well lit, so therefore needing the brightness of the higher backlite to make the TV stand out.

Regards ... Paul

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Paul,

I understand that the settings are rubbish out of the box, so adjusted them accordingly, within the TV input. What I didn't realise that there were different input settings which weren't transferable. So, TV input settings were different from HDMI2 (blu-ray), etc. Anyway, it was a bit of a stupid assumption. Thanks again.

Mike

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Er no i would'nt call it a stupid assumption, i did exactly the same on my previous TV & wondered why the picture looked like tut on the other HDMI inputs & it was the very same reason you have just experienced. Not the first or the last to do it i would think.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
mikey2008 said:
Hi Paul,

I understand that the settings are rubbish out of the box, so adjusted them accordingly, within the TV input. What I didn't realise that there were different input settings which weren't transferable. So, TV input settings were different from HDMI2 (blu-ray), etc. Anyway, it was a bit of a stupid assumption. Thanks again.

Mike

More a case of a stupid way of Sony arranging the picture options than it being your fault, every tv I have owned up until this one had the option of carrying calibration over to different inputs but for some unknown reason Sony decided that was far too easy. It took me a little while to work it out myself which is why I quickly posted the issue on these forums, I should have remembered to be fair and suggested you try it... :oops:

Anyway it's good to hear you have it sorted out now so just hope you are happy with the tv and that it gives you years of happy viewing, enjoy!

muzzer

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys.

First posting on this forum and I would just like to say thanks for the settings info that has been posted. I have the tv ordered and it is arriving Thursday so the info should have me up and running in no time.

I am currently running a five year old 37inch Panny plasma and I am hoping the Sony will be as good and hopefully a step up from the Panny, the Sony gets plenty of good reviews and I was torn between it and the Panny GT50 plasma but settled for the Sony as it was the best size for my current room.

Hope I have made a good choice. :pray:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts