Sony 4k tv displaying 1080p

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I have recently purchased a Sony 4k tv (XBR55X850A) due to getting a 30% discount from the store as well as a Sony Blue-Ray Home Theatre System (BDV-N8100W). They are connected together with a good quality HDMI cable. My question is this, Why does the TV when selected to the Satellite receiver through the Blue Ray Home Theatre System only display 1080P. The picture displayed is very good quality, but i was on the understanding that because the Home theatre System has 4K Upscaling, it would upscale the TV Picture to possibly 4096P. The same happens if i play a Blue Ray Disc, the Picture displays 1080P/24P. Is this correct? and what does the 24P part of 1080P/24P represent.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Do you get any black bars on your tv when using sattelite, if not then it is upscaling to 4K on your tv, (if it fills the whole picture/screen), 24p relates to blu-ray meaning it runs smoothly at 24 frames per second if you didn't have it the pans would be all juddery when watching a blu-ray film.

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Thank you mate, i do not get any black bars on it when watching satellite. So even though it says 1080P on the tv, it is actually upsclaing to 4K? Why doesnt the tv then display 4096P e.g.

If the picture fills the screen, it means the picture is getting upscaled to 4K. If it did not upscale, the picture would be tiny in the middle of the screen with black all round.

It will still say "1080p" because the source is 1080p. 4K upscaling only fills up the screen, it does not "improve" 1080p picture quality.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Logically, this isn't quite correct in this case: If his HT system IS upscaling to 4K, then the TV would be receiving a 4096P picture and should display the signal info as such (assuming this particular model does, however why shouldn't it). The original source and type of that signal being upscaled by HT is irrelevant.

OP (Andrew?), are you sure your HT unit IS set to "upscale to 4K"?

bigboss said:
If the picture fills the screen, it means the picture is getting upscaled to 4K. If it did not upscale, the picture would be tiny in the middle of the screen with black all round.

It will still say "1080p" because the source is 1080p. 4K upscaling only fills up the screen, it does not "improve" 1080p picture quality.

It doesn't matter who's upscaling the signal to 4K and whether it's displaying the source as 1080p or 4K. The very fact that the end picture is upscaled 4K means the OP is getting the desired result. In any case, I would expect the TV to be a better upscaler (although I suspect both being Sony, the upscalers are the same).

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Bigboss is right, if your TV is displaying "1080p" this means the source is 1080p and your television is upsclaing the picture.

Apologies, but I didn't check which Blu-ray player you own.

If your BDP can upscale to 4K you might have a play around to see if this yields better results. Check your BDP's output resolution to see if 4K upscaling is available. If so, give it a try. If not, leave as is. Either way, everything's fine and your TV's working as it should.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
It doesn't matter who's upscaling the signal to 4K and whether it's displaying the source as 1080p or 4K. The very fact that the end picture is upscaled 4K means the OP is getting the desired result.

_Of course_, however his question was regarding the signal type display, that's what I'm referring to, not whatever the visible result is.

"My question is this, Why does the TV when selected to the Satellite receiver through the Blue Ray Home Theatre System only display 1080P."

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Bigboss is right, if your TV is displaying "1080p" this means the source is 1080p and your television is upsclaing the picture.

Apologies, but I didn't check which Blu-ray player you own.

If your BDP can upscale to 4K you might have a play around to see if this yields better results. Check your BDP's output resolution to see if 4K upscaling is available. If so, give it a try. If not, leave as is. Either way, everything's fine and your TV's working as it should.

Hey strapped, how goes it?

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, thank you all for your comments, i havent had a chance to reply sooner, i have checked the blue ray Home theatre System (BDV-N9100W) and the only information regarding its 4k output is as follows

" Auto1 : outputs 2k (1920 x 1080) video signals during photo play when connecting to a sony 4K compatible equipment. Outputs 4K video signals during playback of 24P video contents in BD/DVD ROMs or photo play when connecting to a non-Sony 4K Compatible equipment.

"Auto 2: Automatically outputs 4K/24P video signals when you connect a 4K/24P-compatible equipment and make the appropriate settings in [BD-ROM 24P output] or [DVD-ROM 24P output], and also outputs 4K/24P photo images when you play 2D photo files."

My understanding with reference to the above again leaves me confused, i have connected in what i think is a 4K/24P compatible equipment (4K TV), so why does it display 1080P?

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
When you put and SD picture through a HD TV 1920 x 1080 you should see 576i unless the player is upscaling to 1080. then you will see 1080 in the TVs display.

So to me if you put a 1080 picture through a 4K TV it will show 1080 in the TV display unless you upscale it to 4K from the BD player.

If you are watching TV which will be 1080i, I think even if the TV is upscaling to 4K the source is 1080 so that's what it will show. If there's an option to see what the TV is outputting then if upscaling is being performed the TV display should show 4K.

I don't think any (or very very few) DVDs exist in 24fps or even with a progressive picture instead of the normal 567i or 480i but I suppose you can still put a 24p contenct on a DVD. Not sure why Auto 2 shows DVD-ROM 24p.

I'm finding your TV confusing like you.

If could be similar to the "HD Ready" TVs back in the day that only accepted a 1080 signal and put it out at 720 and unless the panal is receiveing a 4K source direct it will only show 1080 even if there is upscaling going on.

You may need to get hold of some proper 4K material to see what the TVs display shows then, otherwise how can you tell you are watching 4K.

My understanding is that the OP has a Sony home cinema in a box system which is also capable of upscaling pictures to 4K.

So if it upscaled the pictures to 4K before sending it to the TV, the TV shouldn't know that the source is less than 4K. So it should display 4K instead of 1080p.

I would expect the TV to be a better upscaler in any case. The end result is a 4K image because it fills the screen.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey bigboss. Yeah if the all in one can upscale too then that's what I wouls expect. In which case it may be a setting in the TV.

Are you saying that if the panal only gets a 1080 picture it will show up like a non anamorphic 1:78.1 DVD picture does on a 1080 TV?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
andrew hugh callaghan said:
"Auto 2: Automatically outputs 4K/24P video signals when you connect a 4K/24P-compatible equipment and make the appropriate settings in [BD-ROM 24P output] or [DVD-ROM 24P output], and also outputs 4K/24P photo images when you play 2D photo files."

My understanding with reference to the above again leaves me confused, i have connected in what i think is a 4K/24P compatible equipment (4K TV), so why does it display 1080P?

Have you done the bit in bold? AFAICT if you don't tell the home cinema box to upscale to 4k, it won't upscale to 4k, which is kind of obvious really...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts