Sony 40w4500 and PS3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Right, after much hesitation, review reading and forum wanderings, I finally took the plunge for a W4500.

The reason I went for it is that the Sales guy at the sony center acknowledged that  there was a recognised Clouding/Bachlight issue, and that if I was unsatisfied with the set, he would get me a new set, o questions asked. So, as I know it is supposed to be a very descent model, and the price was quite acceptable (£979 with 5year warranty), I decided to go for it.

As I am well aware of issues people have been having, I spent about 2 hours when I received it trying to fault it in a pitch black room, looking for any trace of clouding and unacceptable backlight bleed, and guess what? It's all good, no problem at all!

So, Yay!

But I'm not posting this to gloat, but rather to see wether anyone has any advice on  how to set up both TV and PS3 to work well together.

While I understand that TV picture settings are personal, there are a couple of settings on the ps3 that I found to make a MASSIVE difference in the picture.

So here goes:

- When the RGB profile setting is set to "full" on the ps3, I find the brightness of the picture varies quite a lot between different menu levels, same with games (GT4 Prologue especially). The upside is that Blacks are very black, the downside is that the variation in brightness is a bit distracting. This brightness variation disappears totally if I set the ps3 RGB Profile to "limited", but I wonder if therefore I'm not using the full capabilities of the TV.

-In the PS3 main menu, with the output set to 1080p, I occasionally see a localized flicker in the horizontal middle of the screen. This only seems to happen in the PS3 menu. I have found other posts in other forums where this happens, and a way to sort it is to set the ps3 output to 1080i. BUT once again, doesn't that mean that the TV's full potential is not used? Or will the PS3 only use this 1080i setting for the menu and automatically switch to 1080p when an HD source such as a blue ray or a 1080p game is displayed?

This is all a bit confusing considering that both TV and PS3 are able to process/display high quality picture, but that some settings seem to clash with eachother...

So, does anyone out there have any advice about the best way to set both the W4500 and the PS3 so they work well together?

Any advice welcome!

A

Anonymous

I would also find any advice in this point useful.

X:y colour? RGB profile? I don't really understand what the PS3 is doing other than it has effect on the picture which isn't consistant. Ie somethings look better some things look worse.

A

Anonymous

Hi, i cant answer all your questions unfortunately, but one thing i would say in regards to display output is that you should set your out put to automatic so that it displays the games or main dashboard bit in its native resolution....so if a game is made in 720p then it will output it at that (which most are) and if its made in 1080p (eg. GT5 prologue...there's actually very few true 1080p games) it will automatically set it to 1080p......my dashboard runs at 1080p

i would imagine that if you force one thing into 1080i then you will force everything into 1080i as it wouldn't be clever enough to know when you wanted which resolution....i don't think.....either way, is better to set it to automatic!!

you will know what its being output at as it tells you on a sony bravia in the top left corner when whatever it is your putting through it starts up, each game, each disc, it always says in the top left if its 720p or 1080i so you'll know from there.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
If blacks are 'clipped' (Such as yours ~ and mine for that matter), you need to set to limited. Setting to full means youll 'clip' true black shades and true white shades. Set superwhite to off

I dont have true 1080P capability so cant answer the 'flicker' problem. But id hazard a guss its more to do with your tv than the PS3

Set dvd and blurays to AUTO (Meaning theyll be in YCBCR component), otherwise it will convert to RGB (And lose detail in the process)

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
You may also want to minimise/turn off any noise reduction etc on the TV, and set it to 'game mode'.

And so far as 1080p games are concerned, I think there's a glitch with GTA4 which means you have to set the PS3 to output in 1080p (rather than auto), otherwise it will set it to 720p! (There's a thread about this somewhere on the site, I think.)

A

Anonymous

GTA4 isn't a 1080p game though is it??

720p is the resolution it should run at i should imagine, no way will a game with that much going on be a true 1080p game

A

Anonymous

Dartster:

720p is the resolution it should run at i should imagine, no way will a game with that much going on be a true 1080p game

Is gran turismo prologue 1080p?

A

Anonymous

For PS3:

RGB = Limited

Super Whites = Off

Resolution = 1080p (If you set auto or 720p then the W4500 will scale to 1080p anway, however the PS3 is BETTER at scaling to 1080p)

TV:

Enable Game mode to reduce lag

Turn the sharpness to min

A

Anonymous

lcdtv:Dartster:

Is gran turismo prologue 1080p?

Yeah gran turismo prologue is a 1080p game
emotion-1.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
As will be Killzone 2 apparently be 1080p - just downloading the demo now. I read somewhere GTA IV runs at 640p on the PS3 and 720p on the Xbox (natively - obviously this will be upscaled eventually to whatever resolution your TV is).

ÿ

A

Anonymous

KillZone 2 is gonna be 1080i unfortunately!

the demo runs at 720p though.......still looks awesome though
emotion-5.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, my TV is 720p only so I guess it doesn't matter for me - it was only a few weeks ago though I read one of the lead designers saying "it will definitely be 1080p" etc. etc.!

Just found this which is interesting, I'm guessing that's what he meant, but it's not really 1080p in my mind. Anyway, demo has finally downloaded so off to give it a go
emotion-1.gif

EDIT - Hmm, well, undoubtedly it looks fantastic and it seems like a great shooter, but I'm quite disappointed. It's just another shooter. Not sure what I was expecting, something more I guess - maybe a nice twist / new feature / anything a bit different. But no, it's just like any other shooter out there. For a lot of people I'm sure this is perfect and just what they want, but I'm just getting bored of shooters now. They've been done to death. They need more variety injected into them somehow in my opinion.

FURTHER EDIT! - Just now tried out the F.E.A.R. 2 demo - this is much, much better. Again, in many ways, it's just a shooter, but the presentation seems so much better. I was genuinely quite spooked by the game and found myself stepping carefully, nervous to go on! I shall probably be buying this rather than Killzone.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I think there's another thread on here about GTA IV being 1080p - the box says 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Although I can't say I could see much difference between 720p and 1080p (but I haven't played it much since getting a HD TV).

So far as Killzone is concerned, I'm sure I'll buy it, although I'm not sure how much I'll like it. But I'll definitely be getting F.E.A.R. - I loved the first one, and the expansion packs (even though Monolith apparently weren't too happy with them). Playing it in a darkened room late at night, through your surround system is pretty scary!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, I actually re-played the Killzone demo a second time and found I liked it better for some reason - as a shooter it really is very good. I'm still not sure I need another one though...

A

Anonymous

ElectroMan:
I think there's another thread on here about GTA IV being 1080p - the box says 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Although I can't say I could see much difference between 720p and 1080p (but I haven't played it much since getting a HD TV).

yeah alot of games say that on the box, i've just looked through a handful of games on the 360/ps3 and they say it also, but that just means it will play in that resolution if thats what you have your ps3 or 360 set too, its not the games actual native resolution or the resolution the game was designed to play in. Which is why when you have your ps3 set to automatic (this feature isn't on the 360) it will play the game at the resolution it was designed to play in, i.e GTA4 will play at 720p and GT5P will play at 1080p....its no glitch that makes GTA4 run at 720p, thats what its mean't to be played at....if u set it to run at 1080p by forcing it and turning automatic off then its just upscaling it to a resolution it wasn't designed to play at...

FEAR2 is alright, but its miles behind killzone2 in terms of bringing somethign new to the FPS plate..........FEAR2 is just a bog standard shooter with a bit of spookiness thrown in, the way ya move and shoot, graphics, its nothing new AT ALL.....KillZone 2 blows it away, the way the guns move and feel are so far ahead of FEAR2, try picking up an enemy gun and looking down the iron sites, then move left or right and see how the front of the gun is moving as it would in real life....its so much more realistic...the lighting, the amount of onscreen action, its way ahead of fear 2......none of us can judge what its like as a complete game as its not out yet (unless ur a lucky reviewer).

Thats not to say some people won't prefere FEAR2 over killzone 2, but its most definitly not in the same league as KZ2 thats for sure

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
You're probably right, I think I had Killzone 2 overhyped in my mind (I loved the first one) so was disappointed on first play. As I say, gave it a replay and enjoyed it more, though I can't say I think it's progressing the genre particularly. Okay, maybe the sight and other aspects are a bit more realistic (I didn't really notice but will take your word for it), but that doesn't necessarily translate to better gameplay in my opinion.

Personally, I definitely preferred the demo of FEAR 2, much more atmosphere, felt more immersed in the game (a bit like Deep Space). However, I wouldn't call myself a shooter purist in any sense, so possibly why my opinion differs.

EDIT - sorry to the OP, realise we've hijacked the thread here somewhat - I'll leave my comments at that!

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Dartster:ElectroMan:

FEAR2 is alright, but its miles behind killzone2 in terms of bringing somethign new to the FPS plate..........FEAR2 is just a bog standard shooter with a bit of spookiness thrown in, the way ya move and shoot, graphics, its nothing new AT ALL.....KillZone 2 blows it away, the way the guns move and feel are so far ahead of FEAR2, try picking up an enemy gun and looking down the iron sites, then move left or right and see how the front of the gun is moving as it would in real life....its so much more realistic...the lighting, the amount of onscreen action, its way ahead of fear 2......none of us can judge what its like as a complete game as its not out yet (unless ur a lucky reviewer).

Thats not to say some people won't prefere FEAR2 over killzone 2, but its most definitly not in the same league as KZ2 thats for sure

This is not really the place to discuss this, but surely KZ2 is basically a bog-standard shooter with good graphics and lots of intense action. It seems to have taken a lot of standard fps ideas and refined them.

F.E.A.R. had great A.I. and lots of strategy. I remain unconvinced about KZ2, though the demo is downloading now!

emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS