Sonos connect:amp

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have a couple of old speakers - B&W CDM2 - and I'm wondering about using a Sonos connect amp to add to my Sonos installation. I have a couple of questions:

1) will they be any good?

2) they are bi-wired. Obviously the connect doesn't support that - can I just use one pair of plugs in my existing cable?

many thanks

John Duncan

1) I'd expect so yes. A friend has some CDM2s on the end of a Cyrus system and I like the speakers best of all :)
2) Yes. If you've lost the bridges between the biwire terminals you can recreate them with a couple of small connectors made of your existing speaker wire.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Amadeus1756 said:
Hi,

I have a couple of old speakers - B&W CDM2 - and I'm wondering about using a Sonos connect amp to add to my Sonos installation. I have a couple of questions:

2) they are bi-wired. Obviously the connect doesn't support that

What makes you think that? Any amp will support bi-wiring, as long as you can fit the cables into the terminals. As long as they're not too thick it should be fine.

scene

The_Lhc said:
Amadeus1756 said:
Hi,

2) they are bi-wired. Obviously the connect doesn't support that

What makes you think that? Any amp will support bi-wiring, as long as you can fit the cables into the terminals. As long as they're not too thick it should be fine.

Either way works. You might want to try both and see which one you prefer. I mean as JD described or by running two cables from the same posts. What you won't be able to do is bi-amp them from the sonos

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. I really like the sound of the speakers as well (certainly when they were plugged into the old amp).

Well I'm glad I went to look at old speakers and cables before I made an even bigger faux pas...

I had remembered the cables as having 4 ends to each cable, not 4 at one end and 2 at the other. Now I've seen the error of my ways... :)

Thanks for the help guys - much appreciated.

John Duncan

If you've already got some biwire cable, you can twist the ends together at one end and put single banans on them to plug into the Sonos. However, you'd probably get just as good results by splitting the cable down the middle and using it as single wire...

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry John, I obviously wasn't clear.

the cables I have have 4 bananas at one and and 2 bananas at the other, so I think I can plug the 4 into a speaker, the 2 into the sonos, do that for each speaker and I'm sorted! :)

thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts