Sonos Amp paired with B&W 607s - Question on Wattage

georgegeorgegeorge

Jun 29, 2020
Visit site
Hello all,

I can't work this out, I'm obviously missing something.

I bought the Sonos Amp last month because i couldn't figure out a better way of playing records in my living room and extending the sound into my kitchen and back room without wires everywhere, and to be honest it works great and combined with the Sonos One SL's in the other rooms the sound is decent enough, however I need to upgrade the bookshelf speakers wired to the Sonos Amp in the actual living room next.

I've always loved the B&W sound and reading the whathifi review of the Amp it directly recommends the 607's to pair with the Sonos Amp.
I was interested and therefore started doing the research, however:

Sonos Amp:

125W/Ch into 8 ohms

B&W 607's:

Recommended amplifier power 30W - 100W into 8Ω on unclipped programme

Is the Sonos Amp over powdered for the speakers? or does 'recommended amplifier power' mean you can go a bit higher and all will be ok?

My brain hurts.

Many thanks to whoever can helps.

georgegeorgegeorge

Jun 29, 2020
Visit site
It's better to have an amp more powerful than less - provided you aren't getting any distortion you'll be doing no harm. My amp is around 350wpc rms into my speakers' nominal 6 ohm load, and that's a good way above their recommended band. No issues whatsoever, provided you avoid distortion.

Thanks, sorry for the slow reply. local store has them available. Will be taking in the amp to check it out.

Cheers all.

georgegeorgegeorge

Jun 29, 2020
Visit site
Update. They sound fantastic. Went to a dealer who set them up with an amp and took about 5seconds of listening to be sold. Hi notes are exceptionally crisp. Using a sub with them so there's less work for them to do around there, may upgrade that at some point but won't be rushing. Very pleased with the sound, hoping Sonos update the app again soon to open more equaliser options to play with. Cheers all

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts