SkyHD high pitch noise when changing channels

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Got SkyHD fitted about a month ago, digital o/p connected to my Arcam AVR300. When changing channels I get a high pitch sound for a split second, is this normal?

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't sound right to me. I dont get anything like that. Do you have the SKY box connected to the amp by HDMI? If so try connecting it direct to the TV and see if it still happens.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AVR300 doesn't have HDMI connectivity, so I assume brianmcr is connecting via optical or electrical digital. Sounds like the amp isn't muting the output from its DAC when channels are changed and the conversion momentarily unlocks from the digital signal then locks back on, so he's getting some digital noise escaping through the amplifier to the speakers.

Probably worth a word with Arcam's service department for a steer on this...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Definitely a digital unlock/lock problem, could well be caused by the SD channel not having DD surround, whereas the HD one does. Sure the amp should mute while it sorts itself out in such a situation...

A

Anonymous

My Pioneer VSX819 did this when switching between Normal channels and HD/DD cahnnels.

Got so annoying I gave back the new style box and took back and old refurb. Its been great since.

Its a fault with some amps, that the sky engineer admitted, but sky wont admit until the masses complain. which I dont think is going to happen as like I said, only happens on certain amps according to the engineer.

A

Anonymous

I mentioned the exact same thing happening with my new Sky+HD box on this forma while ago. I use a Cambrdge Azur 640R with HDMI video and optical digital audio connection from sky box to amp, and it only happens when switching between HD and standard def chanels. It's far more than annoying and sounds potenially damaging through speakers

Judging by the feed-back here and the variety of amps this happens with, it must surely be a Sky issue that requires attention. I will be sending an email with a request for claification on the issue to them and suggest that anyone else with similar concerns do the same....as mentioned it is the only way they will take notice.

A

Anonymous

I recently got Sky HD with one of the Amstrad boxes and am experiencing the same issues when connected to my Marantz amp via coax. It does only happen when switching to a channel broadcasting in DD from one that isn't or even switching the sound output setting (stereo -> DD) in the Sky menu whilst a DD program is displayed in the preview window at the top right. It doesn't sound healthy at all, at present I've just left the box set to output stereo and change to DD when needed.

A

Anonymous

As a follow up to my earlier post, I emailed Sky and notified them of my problem. They are sending an engineer out tomorrow (Friday) to investigate !! Not sure what that will achieve but will keep you posted. At least they are doing something and acknwledging the problem though...

A

Anonymous

They did the same with mine.

eng came out and said it was the sky box being used with my amp and only certain amps do this.

He advised to take a old refurb, which I am happy with as it works peferct and no problems in 6 months.

he advised sky are fully aware of the problem and wont do anything.

Let us know what the eng said.

A

Anonymous

Well, Engineer just been and was a complete waste of time !!! Never heard of the problem before and couldn't recommend anything. Suggested a replacement new box by same manufacturer (Amstrad) but as this one is basically new anyway, wouldn't make any difference. So have to live with it until someone comes up with a solution other than turning the volume down everytime we change from SD to HD channels !!!

A

Anonymous

I am just glad that I managed to get one of the old refurbs.

I had the same problem, but it seems to be only on certain amps, and pioneer blamed sky and sky blamed pioneer, and at that time I had enough, told them to get me an old box or im leaving sky as it was annoying.

Was thinking of moving to virgin again, but as soon as I spoke to sales, and they never called me back after 4 calls by me asking them to do so as needed to speak to my girlfriend first, I remember why I left them.
emotion-12.gif

If I was not a big HD movie fan, I would have got rid of the lot and went with freesat, and I would not have to deal with any of those jokers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts