Sky Q UHD.....really?

Tim_Lennox

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
So viewed Sky Q's UHD last night, it would be an understatement to say I was very dissapointed. I watched Everest and The Martian in UHD and compared picture to standard Blu-Rays. Have to say the Blu-Rays looked far better than Sky's UHD. Compared to UHD on Netflix, Netflix are miles ahead of the game. So Sky....spend some time watching Sence8 on Netflix and you'll know how amazing UHD can look. All in all Sky Q is just a considerable waste of money and massively overpriced.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Glad I declined their generous offer of full price for their "premier product". It would also be useless with my Harmony One (deal beaker). Is the sound any better? Still DD?

Tim_Lennox

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Still just DD, sound is no improvement on the regular HD box. I really wanted to be impressed but really picture quality is little better than standard HD.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Something sounds wrong somewhere. My Sky box is years old, and there's a gaping chasm between SD and HD. I was going to say it might depend on the TV itself, but the difference is apparent even on my basic 39" Panasonic LED TV. Might be worth checking the box and TV settings.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
My friend has got Sky Q installed few weeks ago. It was nothing to write home about. Netflix is miles ahead. Once my virgin contract finishes thats me done with subcription from the money grabbers. I wish people will try Netflix to compare & see how most of the programs on sky & Virgin are badly compressed.

Tim_Lennox

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Using an LG OLED 55E6V which has been calibrated, Netflix looks magnificent in UHD, I'm afarid it's a simple case of Sky's UHD is just plain poor

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Netflix doesn't really look that good it's only 24mbps. Sky is about the same 5.9GB per roughly an hour of content. I think the sport streams are of a much higher quality live but yes the documentarys available are not in sufficient enough bandwidth to overtake bluray 1080p. It's a shame because BT 4k (still got the box from when it launched) is 42mbps and was stunning.

5900mb per hour indicates about 1.6mb per second maybe around 19mbps for sky UHD which is substandard and the worst possible 4k source so far. Less than youtube!

daveh75

bemaniac said:
Netflix doesn't really look that good it's only 24mbps. Sky is about the same 5.9GB per roughly an hour of content. I think the sport streams are of a much higher quality live but yes the documentarys available are not in sufficient enough bandwidth to overtake bluray 1080p. It's a shame because BT 4k (still got the box from when it launched) is 42mbps and was stunning.

5900mb per hour indicates about 1.6mb per second maybe around 19mbps for sky UHD which is substandard and the worst possible 4k source so far. Less than youtube!

You're confusing bits with bytes, or at least you're not expressing them properly!

b = bits, B = bytes

So Netflix is 24 Megabits per second (Mbps)

An hour of Sky UHD results in a 5.9 Gigabyte (GB) file which equates to 1.64 Megabytes per second (MBps) or 13.11 Megabits per second (Mbps)

BT 4K is 42 Megabits per second (Mbps)

Nathan

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
I've got Sky Q and tried the Martian in UHD and in HD and I was very impressed with the UHD as was miles better than the HD broadcast. However..........

I then tried it from Blu Ray and that was easily the best. Perhaps when Sky said UHD was four times better than HD they meant 4 times better than their HD......

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I recently purchased an LG 65H950V and tried some UHD samples which looked very disapointing. I'd like to know how the SkyQ is connected to the TV.

If you are looking at the netflixx app on the TV but passing the SkyQ signal through an AVR then that might be your problem. I have the Denon AVR x2300w but found that it was processing the video before it hit the TV. I fixed this by changing the AVR to pass through video without processing and looked great after that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts