Sky HD and Upscaling Amp - Seriously Confused!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Sorry - my third question in as many days - you guys have been great so far, so here goes...

I have got Sky HD plugged in via HDMI to the back of my TV. When I look at the info on the TV for the HDMI input - it says the picture is showing at 1080i. The HD channels are of course, far better than the SD channels.

I have read many many posts about the setting fo the SKy HD box - some say to set the output as "automatic" but others say set it at "1080i". My AV upgrade plan was to include a Yamaha 863SE amp which I was told could upscale the picture even better - to 1080p (My SOny 42" LCD is 1080p compatioble btw) - but will this have any noticeable effect on the SD channels from Sky - as I have always been disappointed with the Sky picture on LCD TVs - I have had three LCD TV so far!

Now, lots of reading and searching on these forums, and its clear that the Yamaha amp - whilst v well regarded, will NOT upscale from an HDMI source input - and as I play my DVDs/BluRay via my PS3 (HDMI) and watch TV on Sky HD (HDMI), what do I really "need" if I want to try and improve the picture - or is that pie int he sky(no pun intended)?

So, in summary, is there an Amp/Receiver that can upscale - and therefore "improve" the picture on SD Sky that does not cost as much as a small family car??? And what should I set my Sky HD output to - "Automatic" or "1080i" - I cant really see much of a difference to be honest so far!!?? Does my Sony TV upscale on its own from an HDMI input??

Sorry to drone on, but I thought I had a plan sorted, and now I'm more confused than ever!!

thanks

Alex

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
alexbartman:
Hi

Sorry - my third question in as many days - you guys have been great so far, so here goes...

I have got Sky HD plugged in via HDMI to the back of my TV. When I look at the info on the TV for the HDMI input - it says the picture is showing at 1080i. The HD channels are of course, far better than the SD channels.

I have read many many posts about the setting fo the SKy HD box - some say to set the output as "automatic" but others say set it at "1080i". My AV upgrade plan was to include a Yamaha 863SE amp which I was told could upscale the picture even better - to 1080p (My SOny 42" LCD is 1080p compatioble btw) - but will this have any noticeable effect on the SD channels from Sky - as I have always been disappointed with the Sky picture on LCD TVs - I have had three LCD TV so far!

Now, lots of reading and searching on these forums, and its clear that the Yamaha amp - whilst v well regarded, will NOT upscale from an HDMI source input - and as I play my DVDs/BluRay via my PS3 (HDMI) and watch TV on Sky HD (HDMI), what do I really "need" if I want to try and improve the picture - or is that pie int he sky(no pun intended)?

So, in summary, is there an Amp/Receiver that can upscale - and therefore "improve" the picture on SD Sky that does not cost as much as a small family car??? And what should I set my Sky HD output to - "Automatic" or "1080i" - I cant really see much of a difference to be honest so far!!?? Does my Sony TV upscale on its own from an HDMI input??

Sorry to drone on, but I thought I had a plan sorted, and now I'm more confused than ever!!

thanks

Alex

The cheapest receiver you can get is the Onkyo 875 which will upscale to 1080p with hdmi. These can be had for very good prices as they were originally circa £1k. This might be waste of time though. To change your mind over an amp just to get Sky upscaled from 1080i to 1080p might not be worth it on a screen of your size. By the way, is your screen 40 or 46? Sony don't do 42 inch screens do they? If you did get the 875 or similar, you would need to set Sky as auto and have the receiver set to upscale all components to 1080p. If you go with the Yamaha, just have Sky set to 1080i and it will upscale all channels to that. Obviously the HD channels are 1080i proper and will look much better.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the post - I have checked - my TV is 40" ....so I wont see much difference then between 1080i and 1080p?? And am I right that the HD box does its best to upscale non HD channels to 1080i, so spending a fortune on an Amp that does the upsacale form HDMI is a waste of time, and more importantly money...

How's the Onkyo on Audio - on my earlier thread I mentioned I am looking for the best amp to give quality on both audio (CD etc) and video for home cinema??

thanks again

Alex

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes and yes, IMO.

I run an Onkyo TX-SR875 at home, and have no complaints about it as an all-round solution, but I'd suggest you get a listen to it, a discounted TX-NR905 from the same brand, and the Yamaha before you decide.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
alexbartman:
thanks for the post - I have checked - my TV is 40" ....so I wont see much difference then between 1080i and 1080p?? And am I right that the HD box does its best to upscale non HD channels to 1080i, so spending a fortune on an Amp that does the upsacale form HDMI is a waste of time, and more importantly money...

How's the Onkyo on Audio - on my earlier thread I mentioned I am looking for the best amp to give quality on both audio (CD etc) and video for home cinema??

thanks again

Alex

I would check out my receiver also, the Sony STR-DA3400es. It does everything the Yamaha does, has an extra hdmi and is very musical. The review of the lesser 2400es waxed about it's stereo performance. There hasn't been a review of the 3400es yet but I can tell you it's excellent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts