Simple is the key . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Sitting today felling less than chipper . . . did too much in the garden yesterday, the years a catching up? . . . they have bl***y well caught up! Then sat listening to music till 2 o'clock this morning, not doing myself any favours :?

So as I sit and listen to John Williams playing on Spotify 'the Ultimate Guitar Collection', which I can recommend a dip into. One got to musing, why am I enjoying my music and hifi so much . . . ?

Being recently retired, its nice to sit and listen when I like, to be able to choose the medium to which I listen. I have been listening to some vinyl this morning that I bought from Oxfam on Monday. It was only a few months ago that I was thinking about various changes and tweaks to the system, taking up most of my time, not retired then . . . ?

Despite all the tweaking and swapping about, my system is simple. CDp, TT and PC wire connected via an HRT DAC. The PC gives me Spotify and DVD films, CDp and TT allow music of a high standard IMHO. Spotify is my choice when sitting surfing the web and the PMC speakers placed either side of my desk are very good as close field monitors, I enjoy this experience, its like a giant pair of headphones.

The rest of the system is appreciated from the sofa, often with Hazel and a cup of tea or a night drink. The essence, it is simple, the system has been needed and moulded to my likes and desires, embracing my memories of how hifi used to sound in my audiophile days . . .

Whilst I still tweak a little, its all very low key and often reverts back . . . I'm happy as things are, I'm getting my moneys worth with bucket loads of pleasure for the two of us.

Why hanker after more . . . that often promises more than it delivers and is often unacceptably expensive. I know it a hobby and such are the things of hobbies. However, the old head on my shoulders is finally being listened to.

. . . ‘Simple is the key’ to my hifi pleasure . . . and my future retirement . . . modern life is getting complicated? I dont want it!

Does anyone see it my way?

CJSF

matthewpiano

I think simple is the key CJSF. In my case very simple at present. My turntable is packed away and I don't currently have a CD player connected. Everything is running through the Squeezebox Touch - lossless WAV and FLAC files ripped from my CDs, internet radio, and Napster (I cancelled Spotify as I was having horrendous problems with interrupted streaming which Napster doesn't seem to suffer from. I know Spotify is better quality sound-wise but I only use these services to check things out before buying them anyway). My amp is a straight forward and practical NAD and my speakers are compact and unfussy about positioning. Together it all works well, sounds superb and leaves me to focus on the music.

CD replay will feature again, particularly for opera recordings where I might as well use the discs because I like to have the libretto in front of me and that may mean adding a new CD player (the new NAD possibly) or considering a one-box solution like the Marantz or Denon systems. Vinyl, for me, is almost certainly finished.

Our versions of simplicity are different CJSF but, either way, we are both enjoying the music. :cheers:

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I think simple is the key CJSF. In my case very simple at present. My turntable is packed away and I don't currently have a CD player connected. Everything is running through the Squeezebox Touch - lossless WAV and FLAC files ripped from my CDs, internet radio, and Napster (I cancelled Spotify as I was having horrendous problems with interrupted streaming which Napster doesn't seem to suffer from. I know Spotify is better quality sound-wise but I only use these services to check things out before buying them anyway). My amp is a straight forward and practical NAD and my speakers are compact and unfussy about positioning. Together it all works well, sounds superb and leaves me to focus on the music.

CD replay will feature again, particularly for opera recordings where I might as well use the discs because I like to have the libretto in front of me and that may mean adding a new CD player (the new NAD possibly) or considering a one-box solution like the Marantz or Denon systems. Vinyl, for me, is almost certainly finished.

Our versions of simplicity are different CJSF but, either way, we are both enjoying the music. :cheers:

Simplicity = musical enjoyment . . . :dance: I must say, my Spotify has been faultless for a few months now, it did give a few problems a while back but nothing like I have seen reported.

I have been listening to John Williams (guitar man) most of the afternoon on record and Spotify, loving every minute.

As you say Matthew, our 'simplicities' start from different point but converge as musical pleasure . . . 8)

CJSF

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree. Hopefully My set up as simple as I can get it for now. Music is what it's about which I was losing sight of. And how one goes about achieving that shouldn't matter.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
Sitting today felling less than chipper . . . did too much in the garden yesterday, the years a catching up? . . . they have bl***y well caught up! Then sat listening to music till 2 o'clock this morning, not doing myself any favours :? So as I sit and listen to John Williams playing on Spotify 'the Ultimate Guitar Collection', which I can recommend a dip into. One got to musing, why am I enjoying my music and hifi so much . . . ? Being recently retired, its nice to sit and listen when I like, to be able to choose the medium to which I listen. I have been listening to some vinyl this morning that I bought from Oxfam on Monday. It was only a few months ago that I was thinking about various changes and tweaks to the system, taking up most of my time, not retired then . . . ? Despite all the tweaking and swapping about, my system is simple. CDp, TT and PC wire connected via an HRT DAC. The PC gives me Spotify and DVD films, CDp and TT allow music of a high standard IMHO. Spotify is my choice when sitting surfing the web and the PMC speakers placed either side of my desk are very good as close field monitors, I enjoy this experience, its like a giant pair of headphones. The rest of the system is appreciated from the sofa, often with Hazel and a cup of tea or a night drink. The essence, it is simple, the system has been needed and moulded to my likes and desires, embracing my memories of how hifi used to sound in my audiophile days . . . Whilst I still tweak a little, its all very low key and often reverts back . . . I'm happy as things are, I'm getting my moneys worth with bucket loads of pleasure for the two of us. Why hanker after more . . . that often promises more than it delivers and is often unacceptably expensive. I know it a hobby and such are the things of hobbies. However, the old head on my shoulders is finally being listened to. . . . ‘Simple is the key’ to my hifi pleasure . . . and my future retirement . . . modern life is getting complicated? I dont want it! Does anyone see it my way? CJSF

Yes, the years seem to have overtaken you cj. Come on. surley your not throwing in the towel yet ? :bounce:

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Yes, the years seem to have overtaken you cj. Come on. surley your not throwing in the towel yet ? :bounce:

The finger has often been pointed over the past year or so . . . as time has gone on, I have pulled myself from a mire of confusion. I worked out where I was going, said I would stop . . . I have (almost:? ) . . . as simple as that. Its now all about music, Hazel and my retirement years.

I'm lucky, I feel I have achieved my goal against the odds, looking back, hifi was the easy bit? . . . We can relax, take life as it comes. I dont have to get up with the lark if I dont want to, I can eat my Sugar Puffs listening to Beethoven or Jeff Beck if I want to . . .

Mmm . . . reflect over the past 12 months I will 8)

Throw in the towel . . . never, but I might pull the draw bridge occasionally . . . :rofl:

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
CJSF said:
BenLaw said:
Ah, the Sugar Puffs, great band....

There you go Ben, Sugar Puffs in the morning, Horlicks at night . . . you can tell the generation I come from . . . :)

CJSF

Yes... a decent one.

I for one keep it simples... CDP, amp and speakers, but unfortunately not cheap!

Cheers

Mac

Hi Mac, agreed, I said 'simple' . . . said nothing about cheap :O as your signature shows. I am happier maximising my efforts and focusing my cash on 'quality basics' and getting the best out of them. Trying to have all this new wiz-bang stuff seems to me, to spread said cash a bit thin? I get hints of SQ compromise if the threads I read are anything to go by, few are happy? Not sure the reliability or stability of some of these wiz-bangs has been proven properly either?

. . . and in any case, understanding the mumbo-jumbo :O its gobbled-**** to me . . . a phono plug, cable and a switch, spanner and screwdriver, makes sense in my 'simple' mind . . . 8)

CJSF, a dyeing bread, we survive on Sugar Puffs and Horlicks . . . :rofl:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't normally, but I had to:

9c69982b.jpg

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
CJSF said:
There you go Ben, Sugar Puffs in the morning, Horlicks at night . . . you can tell the generation I come from . . . :)

CJSF
No cigereeets , whisky and willd,wild women then? :)

Not these days alchemist 1 . . . Dont smoke, Hazels is past the 'wild, wild' bit??? but a couple of fingers up the glass I can still manage, its the pice that puts me off . . . although Cider or Bitter normaly Tesco's cheepo' own brand I can recomend. Bitter is £1 for 4 cans, Cider is £2 for a four pack. Hazel and me share a can toped up with Morrisons cream soader . . . we know how to live a CJS Towers :dance:

CJSF . . . ignore the children, should be seen but not heard . . . :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
CJSF said:
but a couple of fingers up the glass I can still manage

Well, you're a braver man than me!

Oh, glass...

To you The_Lhc it, is two fingers thus; 'V' . . . !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You dont make implications like that ar***le . . . :poke:

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts