Simple is the key . . . ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
CJSF said:
Sorry Tino, to much technology for me . . . I know what a screw driver looks like, I can see and feel the job it does, hear the results, the same as picking out an LP, puting it on the TT, putting the stylus on the record and relax . . .

For about 20 minutes until you have to get up and flip it! :p

The very idea gives me a panic attack.

So 'Fr0g', you are happy to exchange 'sound quality' for couch potato status ? . . . I do some times as well, although I look at it as a convenience. Serious music listening has to be vinyl, the full comitment and pleasure that goes with it.

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
So 'Fr0g', you are happy to exchange 'sound quality' for couch potato status ? . . . I do some times as well, although I look at it as a convenience. Serious music listening has to be vinyl, the full comitment and pleasure that goes with it.
Some massive assumptions you have made there CJSF.

How do you know your record player is giving a better quality sound than a well sorted digital source?

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:

How do you know your record player is giving a better quality sound than a well sorted digital source?

He doesn't , but if he hasn't heard a "well sorted digital source " then ignorance is bliss . Well , that's my excuse .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:

I dont Chebby, what I do know is the pleasures it gives me and that analogue sound unique to vinyl . . . the appreciation of which seems to being lost by people these days?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
chebby said:
CJSF said:

I dont Chebby, its IMHO, what I do know is the pleasures it gives me and that analogue sound unique to vinyl . . . the appreciation of which seems to being lost by people these days?

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
I dont Chebby....

CJSF
If you don't know then you shouldn't accuse someone of passively accepting convenience over quality.

You can explain why you like vinyl without telling someone they are a couch potato for preferring some other format.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:
I dont Chebby....

CJSF
If you don't know then you shouldn't accuse someone of passively accepting convenience over quality.

You can explain why you like vinyl without telling someone they are a couch potato for preferring some other format.

What ever you say . . . Sir!!!!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
fr0g said:
CJSF said:
Sorry Tino, to much technology for me . . . I know what a screw driver looks like, I can see and feel the job it does, hear the results, the same as picking out an LP, puting it on the TT, putting the stylus on the record and relax . . .

For about 20 minutes until you have to get up and flip it! :p

The very idea gives me a panic attack.

CJSF

If it were the case, then "yes", I would be happy, but luckily I don't sacrifice sound quality at all and why would I want to sit through 20 minutes of crackles and pops knowing I have to get up in less than the time it takes Neighbours to finish?

I did vinyl, hated it, still have some LPs in a cupboard somewhere. But if you love it then fair play, horses for courses, I can see there is a touchy feelie kind of enjoyment...Hell I even sometimes use my CD player for that very reason!

For me, sound quality is increased by the fact I can listen to a whole album all at once...and then another if I'm lucky and have some time to myself, put my feet up with a large cup of tea or maybe a couple of beers at the weekend.

Overall pleasure for me is increased by the fact I can decide 1 track in, that no, actually I'm not in the mood for Metallica right now, I'll put some Air on, or maybe listen to internet radiio, Paradise Radio has been on a lot recently. All from a couple of presses on my phone or Galaxy tab. I can browse the artwork, read the lyrics and even get suggestions for similar artists and instantly put them on.

But you know all that.

Basically, I like to keep it simple.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I do like vinyl, and I can associate to some degree with CJSF's attachment to it.
But there are far more obstacles in the way of vinyl Nirvana than there is with a digital source, not least of which is the pressing-quality. It's frustrating when you've done everything 'right' yet your favourite album still sounds rubbish because of a variable you cannot control. Having gone mostly digital, that’s one thing about records I most certainly do not miss.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:
I dont Chebby....

CJSF

You see 'Sir Chebby', if you take a statement out of context:

"I dont Chebby, what I do know is the pleasures it gives me and that analogue sound unique to vinyl . . . the appreciation of which seems to being lost by people these days?"

. . . in the context of vinyl, as written, it makes sense IMHO . . . 8)

In any case Sir Cheb., who says my digital is not sorted, you dont know, it might sound like a million dollars to me?

CJSF . . . end of debate!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
Sorry Tino, to much technology for me . . . I know what a screw driver looks like, I can see and feel the job it does, hear the results, the same as picking out an LP, puting it on the TT, putting the stylus on the record and relax . . . ah . . . got nothing to do with Bisto either . . . :rofl:

CJSF

I don't get the screwdriver analogy. I too can pick up a remote or laptop and press a button. I can see and feel the result. Just because you may not understand (and TBH few of us do) the clever software and hardware that goes into achieving the end result, does not mean it is any more complicated to use. Setting up a computer / streamer is no more difficult than setting up and calibrating a turntable, just less tangible because you can't see the bits and bytes. I think this is probably your point?

You may argue why you would need £400 worth of computer and remote to do the equivalent of your walking across the room and putting on an LP, but bear in mind the computer is fulfilling the function both music storage, organisation, broswer, player, etc. The electronic equivalent of you and your turntable.

PS Do you change TV channels by poking the telly with a screwdriver ;)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:

"I dont Chebby, what I do know is the pleasures it gives me and that analogue sound unique to vinyl . . . the appreciation of which seems to being lost by people these days?"

Nope.

This was the one I was quoting from...

CJSF said:

I can see it above in post #1 of this page.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
One agree with all the pluses for digital . . . and I agree with all the downsides of vinyl . . . please go back and re read my starter post, I embrace, digital, my preference is vinyl, but convenience has some consideration in my hifi life.

Simple to me is, 'wire connections', I have control, no complications of wireless wiz- bang trickery, I still say reading between the lines on posts, this wireless technology does present SQ compromise, thats the way I see it, not a statement of fact? I to like to 'choose the media' I listen to, so, please remove the label in your minds that puts me in the 'vinyl only camp'.

I have written enough about Spotify recently, it gives me and Hazel, on occasions , great pleasure.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:

Nope.

This was the one I was quoting from...

CJSF said:

I can see it above in post #1 of this page.

Fair enough, even more out of context? " . . . I do some times as well, although I look at it as a convenience . . . ". Read the starting post again Chebby, as suggested in my previous post. You really should get contexts right Chebby, I have noticed it before on replies of yours, a jerno., habit, but then I never believe what I read that journalists have to say ?

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
You really should get contexts right Chebby, I have noticed it before on replies of yours, a jerno., habit, but then I never believe what I read that journalists have to say ?

Your posts carry little credence with me either and the act is wearing thin.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:
You really should get contexts right Chebby, I have noticed it before on replies of yours, a jerno., habit, but then I never believe what I read that journalists have to say ?

Your posts carry little credence with me either and the act is wearing thin.

. . . ????????????????? :?

CJSF 8)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
I still say reading between the lines on posts, this wireless technology does present SQ compromise
I'm not sure exactly what you mean?
Currently I have my Mac Mini connected the internet via wireless.
When I use Spotify on it, the SQ isn't and cannot at all be affected by the fact I'm streaming over wireless and not cable. It just simply can't, without any room for subjective opinion on the matter. It might stutter and skip if there is a long-enough signal-loss to cause the buffer to empty, but that's about it really.
Or maybe by 'wireless technology' I've completely misinterpreted what you meant.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
CJSF said:
I still say reading between the lines on posts, this wireless technology does present SQ compromise
I'm not sure exactly what you mean? Currently I have my Mac Mini connected the internet via wireless. When I use Spotify on it, the SQ isn't and cannot at all be affected by the fact I'm streaming over wireless and not cable. It just simply can't, without any room for subjective opinion on the matter. It might stutter and skip if there is a long-enough signal-loss to cause the buffer to empty, but that's about it really. Or maybe by 'wireless technology' I've completely misinterpreted what you meant.

MajourFubar, when I read threads and posts about this or that wireless system, the underlying feeling conveyed to me by the poster is often of 'unease, not happy'??? Thats my feeling and not a fact . . . as I don’t use wireless that’s all I can say . . . maybe I'm reading something in that’s not there . . . but you know how it is, the mind fills in the blanks?

Be that as it may, I think we have sorted out 'simple'. There appears to be two ways of looking at it, both achieving the goal for the individual of music enjoyment . . .

CJSF

T

the record spot

CJSF said:
I dont Chebby, what I do know is the pleasures it gives me and that analogue sound unique to vinyl . . . the appreciation of which seems to being lost by people these days?

CJSF

Not necessarily, however, it probably doesn't help that while entry-level decks are out there the partnering brand new vinyl to go on them isn't exactly pocket-friendly. I baulk at the idea of someone getting into vinyl now (and yes you can talk about secondhand all you like - been there, know all about it) when new LPs are anywhere from £15 and often well upwards.

That said, as an experience, there's none like it out there. Tactile, immersive, involving. Everything that digital to some extent isn't.

However, digital replay - CD, or WAV files through a DAC or whatever - is and, for a long time, has been as good as vinyl and in my experience exceeds it these days.

But as a hobby, vinyl is great fun and way ahead of any digital source out there.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
I remember simple. You put on a 78, wound up the spring of the mechanical motor, and put the needle in the track. The needle vibrated the diaphragm in the horn and you had music. Pure analogue music, produced by pure mechanics – none of that nasty electricity stuff with all its interference.

Andrew

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The price of new LPs can sometimes make me wince.

But then again, I very much remember the first LP I ever bought out of my own earned money: it was Magnetic Fields by Jean Michel Jarre, and I bought it from Our Price Records in June 1986. It cost the princely sum of £6.99, which was about average for major-label LPs (except cheap Ronco and K-Tel collections). The new-fangled CD of the same album was very nearly as much again. According to the Bank Of England's inflation calculator, £7 in 1986 is knocking-on-the-door of £17 now, and the CD would be over £31!

matthewpiano

I like the idea of vinyl but, for me, the experience has been surpassed in sound quality terms by what can be achieved with digital sources.

My RP3 is currently boxed up and I'm not missing it one bit. I don't feel like I'm missing out on sound quality and I certainly don't miss the pops, crackles, dust accumulation, and constant desire to tweak the set-up. Neither do I miss the getting up every few songs to change the record or the end of side distortion that, on many LPs, renders the last song less than satisfying. I've consistently found this having owned several turntables including Michell TecnoDec, the RP3, Thorens TD150MkII AB, and Technics SL1210MkII.

My vinyl days are over once and for all, the final nail in the coffin being the astronomical price of most new LP releases.

I have no problem with anybody who continues to pursue the best of what vinyl can offer but I do have some issue with the rose tinted spectacles view that has a tendency to look on digital as a poor cousin.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts