Simple is the key . . . ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
. . . I put a theory forward that the various complexities of wireless hifi, down loading and love of flashing light technology has compromised the musical quality of some hifi systems?

CJSF said:
In my case, I only have 'x' to spend, if I had gone the modern route, my money would have bought a diluted quality of sound and vision.

Then why do you have so much praise lately for the quality of Spotify played via an HRT DAC from your computer?

It's digital, it's streaming, it's compressed, it's definitely modern.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tino said:
I've literally only just got it ... still in the box ... I'll spill the beans another time ... but I can tell you it's not made in China :p

PS .. it's part of the 5 year plan/plot .. if you remember that discussion thread you started some time ago. (So now I have NPS2000 + valve amp)

....and being equally evasive, I see!! :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:
. . . I put a theory forward that the various complexities of wireless hifi, down loading and love of flashing light technology has compromised the musical quality of some hifi systems?

CJSF said:
In my case, I only have 'x' to spend, if I had gone the modern route, my money would have bought a diluted quality of sound and vision.

Then why do you have so much praise lately for the quality of Spotify played via an HRT DAC from your computer?

It's digital, it's streaming, it's compressed, it's definitely modern.

Chebby I'm very slow on the uptake as you know . . . and my TT is still my 'number one', in many ways it is not mechanically simple . . . However, the thread is 'simple is the key'. I've said it before, I like to simply press the light switch on occasions. You have forgotten I use cables, my suspicions are with wireless, the cost and the technology?

I'm not having a go at modern Chebby? . . . dont cloud the issue mate, keep it simple . . . 8)

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I don't necessarily disagree with your premise, but I don't see how your system fulfils the concept. Simply having a TT is not simple, in my book. How many differents components are there in it? Arm, cartridge, platter, 'shims' etc etc. Then even more choices over mc or mm, phono stages etc etc. And having read your tinkerings over the previous months, you certainly have not kept that simple.

Compare that with the chap who's just got his ADM40s. One Sonos zp90, connect to mains and router, press one button to set up, done. Connect to speakers, connect speakers to mains, music starts. Isn't that keeping it simple?

You are right BenLaw . . . modern technology is not simple . . . its simple to operate. My way, in my mind, its all down to mechanics, a screw driver, spanner, phono plugs and some wire, something goes wrong its usually an error on my part . . . simple basics.

Modern is great all the while its working, although, how do you know it is giving the SQ full focus . . . its reliant on some boffins concept and setup. My experience of such boffins is one filled with scepticism as far as understanding proper hifi sound is concerned. A personal view and a generalisation, apologies to clued up boffins, I know there are a few:)

The concept is there for discussion, it is not me putting down as a fact? . . . which is where these threads can go wrong????

CJSF

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I think one man's simple is another man's complicated.

In fact the more I think about it, the more I think they've all got the potential to be easy or hard, depending on how far you want to go with modding and tinkering, and your level of proficiency in that area.

T

the record spot

Yes, I'd agree with the simpler route today; having multiple boxes around the place and the attendant wiring is a pain, as is shifting it for cleaning, etc, etc. So yes, one disc playing source, one amp, one pair of speakers. Simples!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
‘Simple is the key’ to my hifi pleasure . . . and my future retirement . . . modern life is getting complicated? I dont want it! Does anyone see it my way? CJSF

I agree. Simple is the best way if you just want to enjoy the music. :)

For me having all of my favourite music ripped to a computer and MP3 player is as simple and pure as it gets. And of course there's also Spotify for the times when I want to listen to something new. As far as the hardware's concerned using a computer straight into my AVI 'all in one' system is also as simple and pure as it gets.

I appreciate that for many people playing with the equiptment is all part of the fun of the hobby but for me having to fiddle with a CD player or record player is just an unnecessary complication that would get in the way of enjoying the music.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I think a 'normal' system is simple. I have a CDP and TT going into a big integrated, powering a pair of very simple small 2-way monitors. You wont get much simpler (or less wires/boxes) to use the variety of media.

7280775590_ddb786e14e.jpg

Sticking an LP on is very 'simple' pick album, turn on, put on platter, lower arm and we are away. Simpler in my mind of going through a PC based system (Turning it on, waiting) then browsing the albums. But thats just me! :rofl:

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
I think a 'normal' system is simple. I have a CDP and TT going into a big integrated, powering a pair of very simple small 2-way monitors. You wont get much simpler (or less wires/boxes) to use the variety of media.

Sticking an LP on is very 'simple' pick album, turn on, put on platter, lower arm and we are away. Simpler in my mind of going through a PC based system (Turning it on, waiting) then browsing the albums. But thats just me! :rofl:

Thats my kind'a 'simple' 'hoopsontoast . . . including the computer browsing, ugh! . . . I'd rather brows my two shelves of LP's, a very pleasant experience, especially as my memory is not so good, so I get a few surprises, there are 400 CD's to go through as well . . . :)

CJSF

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
hoopsontoast said:

Thats my kind'a 'simple' 'hoopsontoast . . . including the computer browsing, ugh! . . . I'd rather brows my two shelves of LP's, a very pleasant experience, especially as my memory is not so good, so I get a few surprises, there are 400 CD's to go through as well . . . :)

CJSF

So , are your LPs and CDs arranged in alphabetical order , random or some form of grouping that only you understand ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm terribly disorganised, filing is not my strong point . . . its why I gets surprises, slowly records get towards the far end of the shelf, every so, often I have rummage through the lot, pull ones to the front I like and have forgoten about. Its like having a whole new record collection to play . . . thats my story and I'm sticking to it :wall:

. . . Strange, as in general, I'm a tidy type around the house, in the car, in my shed etc.

CJSF

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
I found that I had a lot of music that I did not know I had by being very organised. When I transferred my CDs to a NAS I listed everything by composer, then piece. So I discovered all the 'secondary' pieces of music on the CDs I had bought for one particlar composition.

My musical store is now 'simple' to access what I want, but organising it wasn't so simple.

Andrew

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
hoopsontoast said:

CJSF

Surely computer browsing is easier - all your music at the press of a button. The alternative is walk to shelf, crick neck to read CD or record spines, keep going until you find something you think you might like. Take it out of the cover, play it, enjoy it or decide you didn't like it after all, put it back, then repeat process all over again.

If you don't like computer browsing, you could just try "shuffle" or "random play" on your PC music player. If you don't like the tune, press "next".

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
CJSF said:
hoopsontoast said:

CJSF

Surely computer browsing is easier - all your music at the press of a button. The alternative is walk to shelf, crick neck to read CD or record spines, keep going until you find something you think you might like. Take it out of the cover, play it, enjoy it or decide you didn't like it after all, put it back, then repeat process all over again.

If you don't like computer browsing, you could just try "shuffle" or "random play" on your PC music player. If you don't like the tune, press "next".

Thats the point Tino, we understand and like the old fashoned 'simple' ways . . . talking personaly, I find computers unfriendly, uninteresting, they have no soul . . . personal view of course. I use them but dont have to like them . . . and listening to music with a computer on my lap . . . :wall: Mine, a PC, is the other side of the room, that is where it is staying, like children, should be seen and not heard!

Me and computer will never have a happy relationship . . . CJSF

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I was about to say something similar, I work in IT so its nice to come home and not use a 'computer' (I realise the irony as I write this :type: ) but its true. I actually quite like browsing my collection to see what I want to listen to, and a row of LP's on the playlist set out along the sideboard looks nice too :grin:

IMO and IME, I DONT find it at all a chore or inconvenient at all to use CD's or stick an LP on :)

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I can appreciate there are very different opinions on what's considered simple. What's important is quick and easy access to music you enjoy. However you like to enjoy it!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I love the physical Disc, getting it through the post ripping the jiffy bag open tearing off the cellophane and enjoy the act of putting a CD on the player. Plus, CDP's don't get virus's.

Don't get me wrong... love the PC too, just not for playing music through.

Cheers

Mac

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
tino said:
CJSF said:
hoopsontoast said:

CJSF

Thats the point Tino, we understand and like the old fashoned 'simple' ways . . . talking personaly, I find computers unfriendly, uninteresting, they have no soul . . . personal view of course. I use them but dont have to like them . . . and listening to music with a computer on my lap . . . :wall: Mine, a PC, is the other side of the room, that is where it is staying, like children, should be seen and not heard!

Me and computer will never have a happy relationship . . . CJSF

Fair point ... I like simple too in the sense of one action or one button does one thing approach. There's too much menu navigation and useless frippery with some modern tech.

I'm only a fan of technology if (a) it's good value (b) it doesn't get in the way and (c) it doesn't use too much power. By the way ... your PC/laptop doesn't need to be in your lap. I use a cheap < £100 7" handheld tablet to browse and control music (uPnP to Foobar on laptop) or a cheap IR remote control (Squeezebox). And somertimes I get up and press a button :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I was the biggest anti-streaming technophobe around. Give me a CD or LP any day.

Then I bought a HRT Streamer II+ with a small windfall bonus I unexpectedly received, and so I started ripping a proportion of my 500-strong CD collection to my Mac Mini, which was already connected to my HiFi for Spotify and internet radio.

I don't regret it one bit. I wouldn't want to be without the actual CDs or records and I'm not a 'downloader' for reasons I've explained elsewhere. But having my favourite 120-or-so albums all ripped losslessly to my Mac for instant access is a revelation. Plus the sound of he HRT is sublime, just to add icing to the already tasty cake.

Macspur said:
Plus, CDP's don't get virus's.

I'm a Mac user: what's a virus? :p

(Yes I know Macs aren't completely immune but I couldn't resist lol.)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Sorry Tino, to much technology for me . . . I know what a screw driver looks like, I can see and feel the job it does, hear the results, the same as picking out an LP, puting it on the TT, putting the stylus on the record and relax . . . ah . . . got nothing to do with Bisto either . . . :rofl:

CJSF

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Sorry Tino, to much technology for me . . . I know what a screw driver looks like, I can see and feel the job it does, hear the results, the same as picking out an LP, puting it on the TT, putting the stylus on the record and relax . . .

For about 20 minutes until you have to get up and flip it! :p

The very idea gives me a panic attack.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I was the biggest anti-streaming technophobe around. Give me a CD or LP any day.

Then I bought a HRT Streamer II+ with a small windfall bonus I unexpectedly received.

The very same DAC that CJSF uses to enjoy his Spotify sessions with.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
fr0g said:
CJSF said:
Sorry Tino, to much technology for me . . . I know what a screw driver looks like, I can see and feel the job it does, hear the results, the same as picking out an LP, puting it on the TT, putting the stylus on the record and relax . . .

For about 20 minutes until you have to get up and flip it! :p

The very idea gives me a panic attack.

Correcting tags and art - even with tracks that should have been downloaded with all that - gives me a temper attack. I understand why some people find HDD based audion a PITA, to be fair, even though, when it comes to sitting down to listen, that is the way I prefer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts