Simple is the key . . . ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm tired of this 'descrimination' yes it comes from my problems with dyslexia . . . directed at me from The_Lhc, and others, I can take a joke but thats to much . . . consider it reported!

CJSF!!!! 8)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
I'm tired of this 'descrimination' yes it comes from my problems with dyslexia . . . directed at me from The_Lhc, and others, I can take a joke
Clearly...

but thats to much . . . consider it reported!

CJSF!!!! 8)

Ok, I thought it was in the finest (using the word loosely) tradition of British humour, a bit of a Carry On if you will, it's a humourous play on the mis-hearing of what you wrote (if the concept makes any sense) rather than a serious suggestion of what you get up to. It's also not a dig at your dyslexia, particularly as you didn't actually spell anything incorrectly and I didn't say it because it was you either, I'd have given that reply to anyone.

But I don't expect you to understand or believe any of that, the chip on your shoulder is so big it's blinding you to anything you don't want to hear (and that concept doesn't really make any sense either but you know what I mean...).

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
There are all types of people on this forum and we should all be able to play together and treat each other with due respect !

Some people are more sensitive to personal comments that other's even if the comments are considered to be a joke by the poster , but personally I think it is the responsibility of the person making the comment to think before posting especially if the recipient is known to be a gentle, kind and sensitive soul , they are quite a rare breed nowadays !

To be honest as I said in a recent outburst on another thread :oops: I did make it plain how I felt about this.

So now CJSF has probably gone for good .

So is it our loss or his ?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
Some people are more sensitive to personal comments

Well that's exactly my point, it wasn't a personal comment, it was a comment about the expression, not the person making it, as I said I'd have said it regardless of who used the expression in the first place.

Some people just need to lighten up, stop thinking the whole world is against them and take things for what they are, light-hearted humour, everybody here takes the mickey out of everybody else, it's all in jest and good humour and is always taken that way. So far only one person seems to have a problem with it.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
fr0g said:
simple. Indeed.

How true 'fr0g'

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/currently“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.” - Winston Churchill

the simplest of gestures 'V'

Its time for draw bridge up permanent I think? . . . by all 8)

CJSF

Well, I'm sorry if I caused any offence. I'm usually the last person to pick up on spelling / grammar mistakes, especially knowing you're dyslexic. However, on this occasion I thought it was such a brilliant malapropism that a great visual, internet based joke could be made. Nothing personal, you'll have to take my word for it.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Electro said:

Well that's exactly my point, it wasn't a personal comment, it was a comment about the expression, not the person making it, as I said I'd have said it regardless of who used the expression in the first place.

Some people just need to lighten up, stop thinking the whole world is against them and take things for what they are, light-hearted humour, everybody here takes the mickey out of everybody else, it's all in jest and good humour and is always taken that way. So far only one person seems to have a problem with it.

Understand your point lch, but maybe a simple ''sorry'' will resume the normal banter. :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
The_Lhc said:
Electro said:

Understand your point lch, but maybe a simple ''sorry'' will resume the normal banter. :)

I doubt it (and anyway it's the "normal banter" that's caused the problem in the first place).

I'm sorry CJ feels offended but I'm not going to apologise for making the comment because I'd be lying if I said I regretted making it, I don't and I'd rather be upfront about that than issue an insincere apology just for the sake of it.

There have been times where I've issued a heartfelt apology because I've realised that what I've said was completely out of order (maybe three times, one was quite recent, to one of the Steves but I can't remember what thread it was) and if that was the case here I'd do the same thing but I'm afraid I simply don't accept the charge on this occasion.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
There are all types of people on this forum and we should all be able to play together and treat each other with due respect !

Some people are more sensitive to personal comments that other's even if the comments are considered to be a joke by the poster , but personally I think it is the responsibility of the person making the comment to think before posting especially if the recipient is known to be a gentle, kind and sensitive soul , they are quite a rare breed nowadays !

To be honest as I said in a recent outburst on another thread :oops: I did make it plain how I felt about this.

So now CJSF has probably gone for good .

So is it our loss or his ?

Most definitely ours.

Quite frankly I'm a little surprised the mods didn't intervene in this thread... it's got totally out of hand.

Whether or not CJFS was being over sensative, some common courtacey should have been shown and a simple apology proffered.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm still about . . . seething, but on reflection, why should I 'cut my nose to spite my face' . . . ?

Having read your comments, my apologies for being over sensitive? Perhaps I should be a little more grown up and not reacted to the toilet (as explained) humour proffered by The_Lhc. Perhaps better for all he should keep his promise made in a previous thread where his comments caused a similar issue . . . he said he would not comment or even visit my posts in future. I would be pleased for you to be as good as your word The_Lhc, sir.

OK, having got that of my chest, the thread was; 'simple is the key' . . . to mine and Hazels enjoyment of or music. It had been established, 'simple' did not equal cheap.

. . . I put a theory forward that the various complexities of wireless hifi, down loading and love of flashing light technology has compromised the musical quality of some hifi systems? We prefer the multi-channel/TV type offerings of today. In my case, I only have 'x' to spend, if I had gone the modern route, my money would have bought a diluted quality of sound and vision. Instead, I focused on the music concentrating the quality to a much finer point?

Right or wrong . . . ?

By the way, I've found the 'Thesaurus' in my spell checker, help me to keep a bit more out of trouble:? . . . I suspected 'dying bead' was wrong, but did not know how to acces the theasaurus . . . :)

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
By the way, I've found the 'Thesaurus' in my spell checker, help me to keep a bit more out of trouble:? . . . I suspected 'dying bead' was wrong, but did not know how to acces the theasaurus . . . :)

Fill 'yer boots...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/off-topic-and-miscellaneous/%C2%A3750-dictionary-free-with-library-card

...it's free (so long as one of you has a library card) and it's not just for looking up the meaning of words. It's a fascinating history of every word as well as a Thesaurus and much else besides. (A killer Scrabble tool :) )

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
. . . I put a theory forward that the various complexities of wireless hifi, down loading and love of flashing light technology has compromised the musical quality of some hifi systems? We prefer the multi-channel/TV type offerings of today. In my case, I only have 'x' to spend, if I had gone the modern route, my money would have bought a diluted quality of sound and vision. Instead, I focused on the music concentrating the quality to a much finer point?

Right or wrong . . . ?
That's a really good question, but I doubt it has a simple answer. Naturally if you'd split the same budget many ways, you would have had to make more of a compromise on how much you spent on each component. But then that's always been the case. WHF used to recommend initially building up your HiFi from the single source you expected to use the most, which for most people back then was a TT or CDP, or even a really good cassette deck, in some instances. Maybe the spirit of that hasn't changed, just the front end, which for many people now is some kind of streaming solution.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't necessarily disagree with your premise, but I don't see how your system fulfils the concept. Simply having a TT is not simple, in my book. How many differents components are there in it? Arm, cartridge, platter, 'shims' etc etc. Then even more choices over mc or mm, phono stages etc etc. And having read your tinkerings over the previous months, you certainly have not kept that simple.

Compare that with the chap who's just got his ADM40s. One Sonos zp90, connect to mains and router, press one button to set up, done. Connect to speakers, connect speakers to mains, music starts. Isn't that keeping it simple?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I don't necessarily disagree with your premise, but I don't see how your system fulfils the concept. Simply having a TT is not simple, in my book. How many differents components are there in it? Arm, cartridge, platter, 'shims' etc etc. Then even more choices over mc or mm, phono stages etc etc. And having read your tinkerings over the previous months, you certainly have not kept that simple.

Compare that with the chap who's just got his ADM40s. One Sonos zp90, connect to mains and router, press one button to set up, done. Connect to speakers, connect speakers to mains, music starts. Isn't that keeping it simple?

I agree. There is a distinction between simplicity - allowing the technology to do the work for you - and the the simplicity of a system in terms of purity of purpose. With the latter you get less for your money, but the results can be more satisfying and proportional to the time and effort expended in the tuning and honing.

So there are probably two type of simple:

1. Complex electronics which give good results and a simple user experience => streamers, active speakers

2. Simple / primitive system but with complex interactions which can be tuned to give good results => turtnables, trying to matching separates

I don't know which is better! FWIW I am hoping to mix and match both approaches .... I'm into streaming, I've ditched the turntable, and have just got myself a valve amp! :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tino said:
I don't know which is better! FWIW I am hoping to mix and match both approaches .... I'm into streaming, I've ditched the turntable, and have just got myself a valve amp! :)

Nice! What is it?

IMO. Nearly anything is simple if you understand it!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
tino said:

Nice! What is it?

I've literally only just got it ... still in the box ... I'll spill the beans another time ... but I can tell you it's not made in China :p

PS .. it's part of the 5 year plan/plot .. if you remember that discussion thread you started some time ago. (So now I have NPS2000 + valve amp)

CnoEvil said:

Very true .. but how many people want to put the effort into understanding things in detail these days.

I understand valves and sampling theorems, but not the complexities of honing turntables to get the best out of them ... or maybe I just can't be bothered anymore! :)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
tino said:
I've literally only just got it ... still in the box ... I'll spill the beans another time ... but I can tell you it's not made in China :p

Brilliant , thats narrowed it down to another 3 gazillion countries then innit ;)

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
tino said:

Brilliant , thats narrowed it down to another 3 gazillion countries then innit ;)

... OK then .. it's a country in Europe that has had 3 gazillion changes of govenment in not so many years ... :grin:

And back on topic ... w.r.t the valve amp ... I'm keeping it simple ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts