Should I Sell My Beloved Kuro?

Bazzy

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

I just do not know what to do! I have the highly desirable Pioneer PDP-LX5090H model (as opposed to the standard 5090 one) which is identical in every performance & features way to the KRP-500A. I saved, waited and spent a fortune specifically for this model as it has so much more than the general 5090. I got the expensive swivel stand & under-mount speaker too - It is all safely packed away still in factory sealed boxes as I am having building work done!

I have just had some bad news regarding my health and will need to raise some money for treatments and I am very reluctantly thinking of selling the beloved Kuro to raise part of the costs and keep my overall borrowings down to a minimum - that's what my head says but I would be heart broken to let go of the Kuro as I just do not believe we will see anything better for quite some time, not even next year and looking at the prices of top models from other companies today, I do not think I would ever spend such silly money on a TV! It would mean trying to find a s/h one some time down the road which might not be so easy! I also do not want to sell it for too much of a loss as it is all sealed and brand new and like I said, it is the very desireable 5090H model. If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Bazzy!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
What is this, The Moral Maze?

If you consider your health more important than a TV, sell it; if you'd rather have a sensational TV and be unhealthy, keep it.

Sorry to hear you have health problems, and you have my sympathy, but I'm not sure how we're supposed to help you with decisions like this...

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
When I saw your post "subject" my first reaction was to make a flippant remark along the lines of "yes, sell - I'll give you £xxxx for it" [which I couldn't anyway due to forum rules, but you get the point].

As someone who has both (a) health problems, and (b) desireable kit that would sell well, I would say that first and foremost, your health comes above all else. Yes, postpone any sale of the Kuro if you can, but at the end of the day, if you haven't got your health, you won't be able to enjoy the Kuro anyway...

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
my ide.a..try "lending" it to someone you know with the guarantee that in the future you could get it back

Bazzy

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Hey Andrew,

Very sorry if my post offended you but if the economic times were different, then I would have just borrowed the extra or put it on the CC as rates were low but as you know things have changed and what I was trying to say, was should I borrow extra for my treatment (and pay the interest) or should I sell the Kuro to help ease the financial burden. I only ask as most generally agree that the Kuro will not be bettered for quite some time and when it does, I for one will not be able to afford the kind of prices some of the new top sets are going for.

Bazzy.

A

Anonymous

id sell it , no point in watching a fab tv if the stress of financial problems is on your shoulders , you can always get another kuro , or whatever tv that surpasses it , when you know you can afford it .. get well soon ..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Bazzy:Hey Andrew,
Very sorry if my post offended you...

Didn't offend me at all - just not sure how anyone apart from you would be in a position to make the decision.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hear about your 'elf problems, sell it......Its just a TV after all and you can not put a price on your own well being.

Being serious though, the NHS is pretty good surely you can get treatment there and not have to add to your stress with the worries about borrowing money.Failing that go to cuba on holiday and get treated there, its free ! (do remeber seeing a documentary on the Yanks doing it as they couldnt afford 'elf insurance). Are there any charities realated to your illness that can assist ???

Good luck

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your sickness but surely this is a personal and/or family decision that you need to make rather than a decision by forum members.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
ear:my idea..try "lending" it to someone you know with the guarantee that in the future you could get it back

Quite a good idea. 'sell' it to someone you know, like & trust, for an amount you'll both be happy with, but on the basis that when you're feeling better, you can buy it back for the same price (barring any damage/owner responsible defects of course).

You get the cash you need, he/she gets a nice TV to watch.

My mate wanted to do the exact same thing with his modded Subaru Impreza STi. I was tempted to do it as it means I'd have a car I know I'd get my money back on in a year or two, and my mate would get the cash he needed. But sadly, redundancy put the brakes on that one....

A

Anonymous

At the mo you'd get the best price for the Kuro !

However, have you thought about paying for health related costs on a CC and then transfer to an 0% interest card so there's nothing extra to pay ?

Alternatively, pay private for your first few consults and then get moved over to the NHS with the same consultant.

While you're convalescing you'll have a top source to watch
emotion-21.gif

I'm in the opposite situation and unable to find a reasonably priced Kuro......so it'd be a shame to let yours go.

A

Anonymous

Hi Bazzy,

I feel for you Bazzy, i think you felt the need to speak to someone other than family! as you think it will become to emotional if you do! Talk to them! they are there for you im sure! ask them what you should do?REMEMBER KEEP POSITIVE!
emotion-48.gif

A

Anonymous

Bazzy: but I would be heart broken to let go of the Kuro as I just do not believe we will see anything better for quite some time,

Don't bet on it. Technology marches on, there'll be something better and cheaper before you know it.

But each to his own, if only a Kuro will do, you'll be able to pick up "one of them archaic old plasma lumps" reasonably cheaply when everyone is raving about their 3D/superHD/OLED sets in a few years. Four figure top end CRT's are being given away today. I "disposed" of a perfect working panasonic Tua for a customer not so long ago. Looks great in the lounge of our flatshare (my 50" viera lives in my bedroom heh)

Best of luck with the health.

Bazzy

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

Thanks for all the kind comments. I will try and see if there is a way i can keep it by giving it to a friend for some time or just plain sell it as long as I do not lose out too much - there seems to be very few places that have any 50" Kuros in stock anywhere so hopefully I should get a good price one would have thought? I have the better 5090H model (which is identical to feature wise to the KRP-500A except for pure mode), Under-mount Speaker & Expensive Swivel Stand all in sealed boxes with & 5 year Warranty. Any good, scammer free places to advertise in the London area?

Bazzy!

TRENDING THREADS