Setup for Streaming from Mac

GTK

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody,

first of all, I'm a newbie, so don't be to harsh on me, please.

I want to listen to music from my computer, In a high quality way. I can to spend around maybe 800E per speaker and I was thinking of around 1500 for amp/DAC. Of course I can redistribute between those two positions, if it would make sense. I don't really need to talk about speakers at this moment, I think I can make my way through that. But I need a lot of advice on the rest. For example, buying the Cyrus 6 DAC or buying DAC and amp separately (let's say Rega Brio-R + Audiolab M-DAC, those are just the devices I picked from the Best-Buy list) would be in the same price range. How do I decide what's better for me? Is it just listening that makes the decision? How do I start the decision making process? Is there any benefit in having those components integrated into one device or separate?

As you certainly notice, a little guidance is needed and any help would be apprechiated.

Thanks!

Gero

Welcome Gero

I'm no expert on streaming, but like you have been thinking about the various permutations. I'd suggest a read through this, from WHFSV's sister magazine:

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/focus/listening-wirelessly

Have a think about whether you want to stream just the odd track, or for that to be your prime source. And then consider where your Mac will be - on the floor near the amplifier (!), in a cupboard wired to your network, or somewhere else. That will help direct you to NAS devices and/or streamers, such as Cyrus's own:

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/cyrus-streamline-compact-network-system-joins-the-streaming-fray

Also look carefully at the Naim range, as products like the Uniti (and its brothers and sisters) are highly regarded and easy to use. I recently heard a UnitiLite with GURU Junior speakers, which costs 1650 + 750 GBP which I think is within your € budget. Wonderful sound - I loved it!

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
You could buy my Electro amp off Gumtree and something like second hand Arcam DAC and get an astonishing sound for the money! Then upgrade DAC later if you need but will sound great like that! Much harder to upgrade amp if you go for combo. 120 watt so no need to change the amp ever really.. Just a thought :cheers:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I take it you are in mainland Europe?

I would recommend trying a pair of ADM9 speakers. You might be able to try them first (recommended for any product really).

I cannot imagine that you would be disappointed and for me, I doubt anything else would be close for the money. This particular distributor might have the previous model still at a special rate if your budget was not high enough for the new ones.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
" I don't really need to talk about speakers at this moment, I think I can make my way through that."

That means, I think, he doesn't want help with speakers, just the rest of the gear.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
" I don't really need to talk about speakers at this moment, I think I can make my way through that."

That means, I think, he doesn't want help with speakers, just the rest of the gear.

The ADMs are the rest of the gear! In fact, they are all of the gear.

Do keep up.

Oh and the OP said "I want to listen to music from my computer, In a high quality way. I can to spend around maybe 800E per speaker"

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
altruistic.lemon said:

Do keep up.

Oh and the OP said "I want to listen to music from my computer, In a high quality way. I can to spend around maybe 800E per speaker"

Just out of interest Overdose, do you use a DAC between your Macmini and your ADM9's?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
You must learn to read and take into account what the OPs say, not ignore them. You do seem in evengelical mode to-night.

Imagine what would happen if the chef, who likes duck, served it to all the customers no matter what they ordered.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Just out of interest Overdose, do you use a DAC between your Macmini and your ADM9's?

What would be the point of that?

Is the op streaming direct from say the optical of a mac mini, or looking at airplay? In terms of equipment, at the risk of getting A.L. furiously typing, your budget would seem to cover AVI ADM40s. They have everything you need, minus the mac, and sound absolutely sensational. Something to think about.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Craig M. said:
Neuphonix said:

What would be the point of that?

Is the op streaming direct from say the optical of a mac mini, or looking at airplay? In terms of equipment, at the risk of getting A.L. furiously typing, your budget would seem to cover AVI ADM40s. They have everything you need, minus the mac, and sound absolutely sensational. Something to think about.

The point would be me looking like a bit of a fool for asking a silly question before really looking at the specs!!! :)

They do look like a pretty good all in one solution.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Overdose said:
altruistic.lemon said:

Do keep up.

No, the ADMs integral DAC is sufficient.

I used to use a DACMagic Plus with my Dynaudios though, it worked very well as a preamp too, but didn't have remote function (although that is largely taken care of anyway by the software).

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
No, you also ignore the comments the OP made about speakers. You don't even know if the AVIs are available in the country where he lives.

a.l,

I think the OPs mention of speakers was in the context of understanding their position with regards upgrading, ie how they contribute.

How about a little positive contribution from yourself?

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Could also consider a Linn Majik DSM which would cover the DAC/AMP/Streaming side of things.

You would need a NAS drive to store your music on if you don't already have one & some sort of tablet device for control (unless you were happy doing this via your PC).

Then you just have speakers left to sort out.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
GTK said:
I want to listen to music from my computer, In a high quality way. I can to spend around maybe 800E per speaker and I was thinking of around 1500 for amp/DAC. Of course I can redistribute between those two positions, if it would make sense.

With a budget total of 3100 Euros, I would also suggest a high quality all-in-one/streamer like the Naim UnitiLite. (It contains amplifier & DAC and streamer and a CD player and there is the option to have an FM/DAB tuner factory fitted for a little extra cash.)

I don't know how much one would cost where you live (it costs 1650 GB Pounds here), but it's worth checking out. Hopefully it would leave you plenty from your budget for suitable speakers.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
altruistic.lemon said:
No, you also ignore the comments the OP made about speakers. You don't even know if the AVIs are available in the country where he lives.

a.l,

I think the OPs mention of speakers was in the context of understanding their position with regards upgrading, ie how they contribute.

Show the way yourself, and try understanding what it is the OPs are asking for.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

The OP wanted to "listen to music from my computer, In a high quality way."

He has a budget of over 3000€ and wanted to know "Is there any benefit in having those components integrated into one device or separate?"

I think any intelligent person could see that OD's response was perfectly logical.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Overdose said:
altruistic.lemon said:

a.l,

What's with you? How about some positive friendly input?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Overdose said:
altruistic.lemon said:

a.l,

What's with you? How about some positive friendly input?

Don't mind him, he's always like this.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Just sometimes feel that a new OP comes onto this forum with a valid question seeking advice & information. Then the usual suspects latch on and drag the conversation down into petty squabbles over semantics.

Really offputting at times.

Oh well, thats the nature of discussion I suppose.

Really like the look of those ATMs, can't think of a simpler all in one solution to the OPs enquirey.

GTK

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the lively discussion, even if much of it was a little bit off topic :) I was thinking about active loudspeakers for a while, but I don't think I really like the concept. And those streaming devices, do I not pay a lot of money for the ability to stream from network hard disks and stuff, with fancy remote via tablet or iphone, play internet radio, be able to use air play? I don't need any of this, I'm perfectly fine using my computer and just connect it via USB. No wireless needed, everything pure and simple, no fancy shmancy :) If I want to use a remote, I can find a solution to control the mac via android.

I found for example this setup: http://www.audio.de/testbericht/test-vollverstaerker-rega-brio-r-1164454.html. Sadly it's in german. It's the Rega Brio R plus the Rega DAC and the Tannoy Revolution DC6T. It's pretty cheap alltogether, 700 + 700 + 1100 Euros. It's so cheap that I'm wondering whether it can even sound great :D

I must admit those Naim streamers do sound appealing, I definitely have to read into them. But the uniti lite seems to cost 2500E, which is a little over my budget, but probably still ok. But again what I wrote a few sentences before: Wouldn't I be able to get much better sound if I would spend the same amount of money just on amp+DAC instead of paying for all that connectivity stuff and the CD player, which I won't need? Or am I wrong here? Can those streamers keep up in quality?

Thanks again for the help!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
GTK said:
I must admit those Naim streamers do sound appealing, I definitely have to read into them. But the uniti lite seems to cost 2500E, which is a little over my budget, but probably still ok. But again what I wrote a few sentences before: Wouldn't I be able to get much better sound if I would spend the same amount of money just on amp+DAC instead of paying for all that connectivity stuff and the CD player, which I won't need? Or am I wrong here? Can those streamers keep up in quality?

Thanks again for the help!

The key to any system is a good pair of well amplified speakers. They are the limitation and where the focus needs to be for audio quality.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Whoops, OD, misread.

Mate, I'm up early off to the airport with a head like a ton of bricks, but, to answer your question, connecting via USB will be fine. You may need to add a filter as some computers can send a lot of noise, but otherwise you're fine.

I use an AE 'cos it means I don't need a cable from the computer, which is the only reason.

P.S with any system you should listen. Head down to a dealer, tell them wha you're budget is and you're sweet. I like Harbeth, Neat and Dali, but that's my ears, you could hate them, together with Naim amps. Use a cheapo FiiO DAC at the moment.

OK, Cheers

GTK

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I know that speakers are key, overdose. But in my opinion it makes sense to build a chain from the source to the end. Plus, your comment only makes sense as an answer to my question if the decision about amp/dac is irrelevant. Is this what you're saying? I guess not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts