Set-up advice - plasma + projector

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm moving house and intending to hang my Pioneer KRP-600M plasma on the wall with a look to later adding a much larger projection screen with something like the Panasonic AE4000 or JVC HD350. Can anyone offer advice on; a) What type of screen I should be looking at given it will need to drop down in front of the plasma when in use? b) What type of wiring I need to put in place for the future projector prior to plastering up etc? Anyone with this kind of set-up can tell me how they did things and how its worked out?

A

Anonymous

I used to have a similar setup with a pioneer 507XD and panasonic PTAE900 (I think that was the model).

The TV sat flush on the wall, with an electric 8' screen mounted in the ceiling void above (standard beam and plaster board construction), the screen was (well still is) bolted to the beam and the screen dropped down through a slot in the plaster board (has been filled in now by a friend who is a plasterer).

The main considerations I found where, making sure the gain of the screen was correct (based on how bright your room is), lighting control (try to ensure you darken the room to a decent level and think whether you be using in day time) and also where you position the centre speaker, I had tried various options from mounting the centre speaker on the ceiling in front of screen position, this means that my centre was slightly forward from the left and right. In the end I opted for custom install speakers in the ceiling with a motorised centre that popped down when it received a 12V signal from my AVR.

In terms of wiring, I would advise 1 or 2 HDMIs and maybe even an inline repeater (dependent on the length of the HDMI). A USB lead for firmware updates for the projector. A local power connection, 1 or maybe 2, 12V trigger leads, one to accept a signal from the AVR and one to send a signal to the screen to come down.

In terms of the screen coming down if you go the electric route, you could either have a 12V trigger as above, a manual power switch or an infra red receiver.

Then there are options for a fixed screen, which would replace the TV, some screens have excellent abilities to absorb the light from a projector and can be used in normal day time viewing condition, I think Clare Newsome has one and could advise better.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Yep, thats great thanks. Given me a few things to consider.

I'll be keeping the Kuro for general use so the drop-down screen makes sense. A motorised screen would be preferable but not essential.

I'll just be putting my centre channel on a stand on the floor facing the seating position so no changes there really. As the screen will be for movies mainly and in a dedicated HT room, the ambient light isnt an issue. It will be DARK lol.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
If you're a lucky enough man to have a dedicated bat-cave. With some light absorbing material on the walls etc, then definately go for a matt white screen.

Light output from the HD350 isn't massive (though this will be the better of the two PJ's, image wise, IMHO), so go for a screen with a gain on it, up to 2.0.

Finally, if your budget can stratch to it, get a tab tensioned screen, you end up with a much flatter screen than without tab tensioning in my experience.

I've been very happy with the screen in my sig, and you have the option of IR control, RF control or 12v trigger, but if you're budget and room can take it, they do recessed ceiling versions for the ultimate stealth look.

Wiring is just standard 240v mains supply, though if you are going with a 12v trigger from an amp, you may want to include that cable in the wall too!

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I'll see if they are available in Oz. What kind of materials do you have on walls / floors? I'm guessing thick carpet on the floors and some curtains on the walls?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts