Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 & 2.0 on-ear & over/around-ear

Vish

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm in the market for new headphones looking to spend £100-150. I currently use the Soundmagic E10 & AKG K451 but I'm looking for more detail and musical awe. I'm currently thinking either the Momentum 2.0 on-ear or Momentum 1.0 over-ear (although I believe around-ear is the correct terminology) as they can be bought for a similar price. Which is a better pair for musical enjoyment? Have the 2.0 on-ear advanced at all from the 1.0 over-ear?

My concerns with 2.0 on-ear are my K451's feel tiresome after a while and compress on my ears that I feel I want some relief. My concern with the 1.0 over-ear is reading many reports of muddy bass. I've discounted the AKG K550 on the reports that there is a lack of a bass. I don't want Beats level of bass thrashing but would like a bit of a kick low down for my music and this would benefit watching movies at night. Are the 2.0 over-ears really worth the premium of £70-90 more?

My main sources would be Spotify at the highest quality via iPhone 6 & MacBook Pro, portability is not a big factor, and I would like to use them for watching TV in the evenings via my Onkyo AV receiver hence not preferring open backs.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Vish said:
The 2.0 on-ear are currently £99 on an Amazon Lightning deal. Very tempted at this price to get these!

Hello Vish,

At that price, i would have been tempted to get a pair.

On Cyber monday i bought a pair of Shure SE 598SE of Amazon.fr for 99euros, and am enjoying them. I reasoned that at that price, the worst that could happen, was that I would buy an inexpensive second pair of headphones, and that the best case scenario was that I would have bought an inexpensive upgrade to my Grado SR80i - after a few hours with the Shures, I am finding that the Grados feel dead in comparison.

Maybe you will have similar luck with the Sennheiser 2 whilst they are relatively cheap.

I have been considering the Sennheiser 2 wireless with ANC, for use on my daily commute, but they are expensive and have a problem with bluetooth reception. You may find this forum interesting.

i know that you are not keen on the AKGs, but they are on offer on amazon.fr at the moment.

You could also find this thread containing eu deals interesting.

Vish

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi Mike, Thanks for the links, I'll take a look at those. I hadn't considered buying from non-UK sites so that's interesting. The K550 are currently on sale from AKG's website for £110, I have been tempted to give them a try.

I've ordered the 2.0 for £99, like you say worst case scenario is they're a cheap second pair of headphones but more likely against my K451's they'll be a cheap upgrade (K451's bought for £25 last year were themselves a cheap upgrade from my E10's).

Fortunately for me, I don't commute so wireless & ANC are of no benefit so I can save some money there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts