Need some advice on buying headphones!

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
I'm looking for wired on-ear headphones. Would the Klipsch Reference On-Ear II be a good choice? It meets all of my criteria.

On the other hand, I've never tried over ear headphones, and I've been told Sennheisers are great.

Should I get the Klipsch headphones, or something else?

Thanks for your help!

I don't know where you are but I do know that what might be right for one person might not be right for you. I am sure there will be nothing dreadfully wrong with headphones from any of the major manufacturers but they will sound very different.
Best try to actually get out and audition some

Reactions: spirit90 and Gray

Gray

I've been told Sennheisers are great.
They are - to me.
And to others, so are Beyer, AKG, Grado, Shure, Focal......
You could probably buy any make / model and be happy with it.....but you may be missing out on a much better sound - often for less money.
That's the importance of trying a few.

You've probably seen talk of brand 'house sound', a bit of a generalisation as, even within brands there can be significant differences.

You say the Klipsch meet all of your criteria.
Have you got any knowledge / idea of their sound?

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for your responses.

Basically, I was looking at options for higher quality wired on-ear headphones. I currently have Skull Candy headphones that I've used for years, and are now falling apart. I was looking to get something a bit higher end, and more expensive (they cost me about $30!). I thought the Klipsch looked promising.

I'll see if I can try some headphones out, but not sure if I'll be able to try the Klipsch in town. I can probably send them back if I dislike them!

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

DCarmi

Not sure about the States (where I assume the OP comes from) but here in the UK, Amazon have been doing decent deals on the Sennheiser HD599SE. Not as good a headphone as the 560S but probably not too far behind and available here for almost half the price.

Reactions: spirit90

Gray

Not sure about the States (where I assume the OP comes from) but here in the UK, Amazon have been doing decent deals on the Sennheiser HD599SE. Not as good a headphone as the 560S but probably not too far behind and available here for almost half the price.
Yes, the 599 is one of those that get quite regular discounts.

Personally, I prefer the sound of the 560S to models at twice its full price - it was once as low as £113. If the OP could find an equivalent US deal......
But he would do well to compare sounds (and comfort) for himself.

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
Yes, I'm in Canada.

Unfortunately, my town is limited for headphones options. Just a Best Buy and a local stereo shop.

I'm debating between the Klipsch Reference On-Ear II and the Sennheiser HD-560S.

The Klipsch is on ear, which I'm used to, and they are a reputable company. But the Sennheiser has way more reviews, and they all say the sound quality is excellent.

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
That's more than some UK town's have.

Good point.

I won't be able to try them in store, as my Best Buy and local stereo shop don't have them. So, I have to shop online.

I'm leaning towards the Klipsch, because I really like on ear. Do you think this would be a good choice?

Last edited:
Good point.

I won't be able to try them in store, as my Best Buy and local stereo shop don't have them. So, I have to shop online.

I'm leaning towards the Klipsch, because I really like on ear. Do you think this would be a good choice?
If you have Distance Selling regulations like we have and, if buying online, can return them within a given time frame you might buy them just to try....

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Well the TechRadar review was good.
We always need to be wary of sound quality descriptions - but their one criticism of the sound was a slightly rolled-off treble.
If the treble is anything less than neutral, they'd be no good for me - but it's you they need to please.

Of course, their performance is influenced by your source(s), which we haven't even discussed.
For instance, I don't think they can be used balanced, unlike others (including the 560S) - could that be an issue for you (now or in the future)?

DCarmi

The HD560S will be excellent but I don't think anyone has pointed out that they are open-back headphones, unlike the Klipsch. This means the HD560S will sound a bit more open but they will also leak sound to the outside world.

The Klipsch seem to get good reviews and people find them comfortable, which I think is important.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts