Second-hand vinyl and inner groove distortion

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm getting into vinyl, and hifi generally (My new system: B&W 685s, Teac A-BX10, Rega Planar 2/RB300/Goldring 1006), and I've had a real headache with inner groove distortion. I've bought a few new LPs recently, and they all sound great, but a lot of my older LPs sound horribly distorted, especially in the higher frequencies, towards the centre of the record. I think I've traced this back to most of the records having been played on a terrible 80s plasticy all-in-one hifi at some point... I imagine the tracking on that cartridge was awful and the needle was damaged or worn... I'm pretty sure it's not my system, as new LPs sound fine and the worst offenders sound bad on a friend's turntable too. My question really is - how widespread is this kind of damage when buying used vinyl? A few records I've bought at record shops recently have suffered from this problem too.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

That's the impression I've got - a little further research suggests that the automatic arm return on cheaper turntables may be responsible for the inner-groove damage, which is in agreement with what I've experienced... I was wondering what %age of records from record shops are likely to have such damage?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Dave and welcome!

I'm pretty new to vinyl, too. I've got around 100 records that i've played (+1200 waiting to be played) and I haven't had any that have that damage. I wouldn't worry too much.

Did you get all your damaged records from the same person or place?

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Funnily enough on my setup the older records sound alot better, ive wasyed a couple of bob on these 180g brand new vinyl but find they sound rubbish compared to a record ive picked up 2nd hand thats probably 20 odd years old maybe even more.

entrails

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been back into vinyl for about five years and find that you can get duff recordings in all shapes and forms including audiophile, brand new recordings and old second hand. I tend to be a gamblerand buy a lot online and find that all of the suppliers I use can occasionally send a real disappointment. Until you get the needle on the record and have played every single track you never quite know what you are getting. In general I seem to find a trend that most mono fifties records have tinny like qualities and that rereleases of these are often better sounding. Most records kept in plastic lined sleeves such as emitex seem to have survived better. It also helps consideeably having access to record cleaning facilities which can change a good sounding recording to a stunner. It will not help with needle damage though and over time you get experience in knowing which ones are worth the money spent getting well clean. Despite all these risks I absolutely love collecting vinyl there is nothing quite like getting those prime recordings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts