Samsung LCD Faulty Backlight?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi guys, i'm looking for some advice. i recently bought a Samsung LE46B650 but i think it may be faulty. the reason i'm not sure is that when i bought this it was because i had just returned a Philips which had the exact same fault!!!

http://tcf.essentialknights.com/Eez/60%25grey.JPG (copy/paste if the link doesn't work)

as you can see, the TV has smearing vertical lines across the screen. these are only visible on panning shots and/or on mid-tone scenes. if i look at a still shot which has many different colours and textures, the lines are not visible.

it does it on the built-in freeview, DVD, HD DVD, Blu-ray and Sky HD. i have tried changing leads (scart, hdmi & component), changing inputs and also playing with the brightness, contrast and backlight levels, but to no avail. the lines still show.

i contacted a ISF calibrator as i wanted it set up properly and asked his advice and he thinks i may be seeing the backlight reflectors. this is all well and good, but i can't be the only one who thinks this is unacceptable on a £1000 tv?

have any of you had the same problem, and if so, how did you fix it? is it an actual fault or just a 'characteristic'?

please help.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Interesting,

I bought a 37 inch samsung last week and was surprised to see uneven brightness of the screen - very similar to your picture but without the streaks in the middle. I had brighter areas on sides - abt 20 cm on the left side and 15cm on the right with a brighter spot in the bottom left corner.

Initially I though it was an over-set backlighting or smth and tried to play with settings to get rid of it. But the more I tried the more I realised that this is either a defect a an inherent property of this particular screen model/type. I returned the unit for a replacement but the new one also had uneven brightness, although much less that the previous copy, but still not ideal. So I think it is inherent with this technology/model range. My tv is only a budget one so I decided that this minor unevennes is OK, but if I paid for a higher range model I woudl expect the screen to be evenly lit.

A

Anonymous

ah, so it may be a Samsung thing then? i really like the TV otherwise. it'd be a shame to have to return it.

hopefully someone will know how to overcome it...

A

Anonymous

its a fault , i had a 46b650 before , and it was flawless , there was perfect screen uniformity , no clouding , no lines , no problems ..

A

Anonymous

hi i have a le40b651 and have the same problem with uneven backlight on upper and botom right part of the screen an also i have notticed that ths tv is very uncapable of handling motion when it comes to grey and dark black areas i mean it leaves smudges and ghosting after moving objects(it was especially visible on cloverfield )

is it only mine or someone else noticed that?

A

Anonymous

i can't say i've noticed it's handling of motion being particularly bad... in fact, i thought it did it better than my old Philips lcd.

i'll be popping in past Costco today to see what they have to say. although i can't return it til the weekend when i can get a bigger car. i'll be armed with a memorystick chock full of images to test other models.

A

Anonymous

i had an le46b650 and it had the same smearing problem.my older le40a656 does not have at all,and ive now sold the le46b650 and gone back to my le40a656 as its that much of a superior picture

my only guess is the panel used ,on my 40" its a samsung and on my 46" an auo (the viewing angle was a lot worse as well!)

A

Anonymous

well the guy at costco told me they'll refund me. i looked at the panasonic g10 when i was in... it was my 2nd choice. the only thing that puts me off is that it has next to no picture controls.

A

Anonymous

i didnt see that when i was in... and i like the costco 5 year guarantee.

but i'll have another look when i return the set on saturday

A

Anonymous

i dont know if costco have them yet , but they are arriving daily to uk stores...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts