How am I going to get over my 2011 Samsung D7000?

TheFauve

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
Good morning everybody!
It is my first time on this forum as I need advice and I can't trust marketing material anymore, I hope you can help me.

I have a 2011 Samsung UE46D7000 that is now displaying vertical lines on the panel to the degree that I really suffer when watching movies. Fair enough, 9 years is a pretty good run for a TV!

I want to get a new TV and I'd like to do that now, taking advantage of Black Friday. But I'm lost.

My budget unfortunately is no more than 500£, and that's already a bit of a stretch for my pockets, especially in these times. Going second hand has brought me too many headaches in life, especially on stuff I don't know so well, like TVs.

You see, after analysing a lot of models and going into specs, I looked up some reviews of my current Samsung so that I could compare (I had bought that 2nd hand about 4 years ago for 280£.). I had no idea that used to be a high end model that got 5 stars reviews everywhere. Retail price was 1700£.

So my question is kind of simple: being almost 10 years after that model, will I be better off with a new 500£ TV, or will that old Samsung still be unbeatable by cheap-midrange TV in 2020?

I'll add a few considerations for whomever would like to help me.

1) I live in London, UK.
2) I Don't own a car so buying second hand collection only would be a bit of a problem.
3) I like watching films and I love cinema, so my only concern, really, is good picture "cinema-like" quality. For this reason I am oriented towards a 4k 55" TV.
4) I don't watch sports whatsoever
5) I play a bit of Xbox but I don't really care about input lag etc
6) I watch movies through Netflix or Amazon Prime, so that will need to be natively included, although I'm pretty sure they are on all TVs now.
7) I usually watch films in the evening in a dark room.
8) I'd like to enhance the sound some day with either a soundbar or a speaker system (I am an audio engineer so audio is all I know).
9) I cannot spend more than 500£ (unless for some reason a 550£ TV is twice as good as a 500£ one or things like that).

So far the best deal I've spotted is a Samsung UE55TU8000 at 499£.

I hope this all makes sense, thank you for reading this and thanks to anybody who will help me!

For quick links
This is my current TV model, made almost unusable by vertical lines now: https://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ue46d7000/review
This is the TV I have spotted as my best option at the moment: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/samsung-ue55tu8000

manicm

Go for it, I doubt you’ll do better, but also investigate TCL and Hisense. The thing with Samsung though is that you‘re almost guaranteed to get the latest streaming apps like Apple TV etc.

The only thing that infuriates me is Samsung‘s obdurate refusal to adopt Dolby Vision - which is beating HDR10+ hands down in the marketplace, no matter what anybody says.

D

Deleted member 2457

Go for it, I doubt you’ll do better, but also investigate TCL and Hisense. The thing with Samsung though is that you‘re almost guaranteed to get the latest streaming apps like Apple TV etc.

The only thing that infuriates me is Samsung‘s obdurate refusal to adopt Dolby Vision - which is beating HDR10+ hands down in the marketplace, no matter what anybody says.
Agree, go for it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts