sales staff makes me reconsider choice.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After dooing quite a lot of research regarding buying a new tv I finally decided on the Philips 37pfl7603.So with my money in hand I went to my local Richer Sounds to make my purchase,however after speaking to a very helpful member of staff;he showed me the Samsung le40A686 and assuured me that this would be a better tv to buy and I have to say that the Samsung looked very impressive.Anyway in the end I could not make a decision and came away dissapointed with nothing.Just wanted to know if anyone with either of these sets had any advice.there doesn't seem to be much info on the Samsung,thanks guys.

A

Anonymous

Be very wary when sales staff try and get you to buy a particular tv. It is probably because they have too many of that tv and they are trying to get rid of them so it suits them for you to buy that particular tv, or maybe it is their last one of a certain range and that is why they wanted to get rid of it.

I was in a shop not so long ago and I overheard the sales staff recommending a couple buy a 'top of the range' Sony 40X3000 over a Sony 40W4500. Of course the Sony 40X3000 (I think that's what it was, although it could even have been a 2006 model!) was top of the 2007 range, but the 2008 40W4500 model is blatantly the better tv. The salesman was clearly misleading the customers by implying that the Sony 40X3000 was the top of the same range as the 40W4500 and therefore superior, which it was not. I also knew for a fact that the 40X3000 was their last one in stock of that model, so they would obviously wanted to have got rid of it.

So, be extremely careful when shop staff try and get you to buy another tv. They will say anything, including telling you that a brand-new Pioneer plasma is rubbish compared to an outdated Sharp LCD model if that's the model that they've been told they need to shift. Sorry to break this to you but salepeople will lie to you, blag you, cheat you and scam you without a second thought. That's what they get paid (commission) to do. If they weren't salespeople they would probably be nicking your car. That's the kind of people who are drawn to the role of salespeople.

A

Anonymous

That's way harsh on sales people, but having said that when intending to payout hundreds of hard earned pounds I personally would do my own research and if the sales person tries to sway you another way I'd check out that one too not just buy on his sayso.

As a side note I think if footballers weren't footballers they'd be far more likely to be nicking your car.ÿ

A

Anonymous

gansta187:

Be very wary when sales staff try and get you to buy a particular tv. It is probably because they have too many of that tv and they are trying to get rid of them so it suits them for you to buy that particular tv, or maybe it is their last one of a certain range and that is why they wanted to get rid of it.

I was in a shop not so long ago and I overheard the sales staff recommending a couple buy a 'top of the range' Sony 40X3000 over a Sony 40W4500. Of course the Sony 40X3000 (I think that's what it was, although it could even have been a 2006 model!) was top of the 2007 range, but the 2008 40W4500 model is blatantly the better tv. The salesman was clearly misleading the customers by implying that the Sony 40X3000 was the top of the same range as the 40W4500 and therefore superior, which it was not. I also knew for a fact that the 40X3000 was their last one in stock of that model, so they would obviously wanted to have got rid of it.

So, be extremely careful when shop staff try and get you to buy another tv. They will say anything, including telling you that a brand-new Pioneer plasma is rubbish compared to an outdated Sharp LCD model if that's the model that they've been told they need to shift. Sorry to break this to you but salepeople will lie to you, blag you, cheat you and scam you without a second thought. That's what they get paid (commission) to do. If they weren't salespeople they would probably be nicking your car. That's the kind of people who are drawn to the role of salespeople.

This tells us more about the kind of stores you like to shop in rather than anything factual about the majority of sales people.

Also, it would seem you have completely bought into Sony's marketing tactics if you honestly believe the W4500 is so superior to the X3000. Indeed the spec sheet is definitely more impressive, but you will find that with the back taken off the sets you would see that they are actually very, very similar. The fact that the X3000 contains the Bravia Professional Engine rather than the mid-range Bravia Engine 2 processor in real terms makes the picture every bit as good on the X3000 as the W4500.

A

Anonymous

I bought a Samsung 46" TV 18mths ago and it was as good as the Sony X series back then. Quite a few Hi-Fi / AV retailers were stocking them.
On a back to back comparison the picture was as good, but let down on the sound quality (which I was not bothered about as I would not be playing through the TV).

I think it is best to trust your own eyes and if it all adds up to be the preferred choice I would buy it.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Has the Samsung le40A686 been discontinued? I can't find it on Samsung's UK website, nor Richer Sounds - although they do list the LE46A686 in their clearance section.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gansta187:Sorry to break this to you but salepeople will lie to you, blag you, cheat you and scam you without a second thought. That's what they get paid (commission) to do. If they weren't salespeople they would probably be nicking your car. That's the kind of people who are drawn to the role of salespeople.

This really is your last warning about scurrilous generalisations like this, and this ridiculous 'gansta' attitude.

matthewpiano

gansta187:

I take personal offence. Some of us are drawn to sales roles through a passion for providing genuinely good customer service in a field within which we have expertise. I was drawn to sales for this very reason. If I hadn't been a salesperson?? I certainly wouldn't be nicking cars. I'd be using my undergraduate and postgraduate degree level musical education productively.

Don't tar everyone with one brush. Some of us are just trying to earn an honest living like anybody else.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
gansta187:Sorry to break this to you but salepeople will lie to you, blag you, cheat you and scam you without a second thought. That's what they get paid (commission) to do. If they weren't salespeople they would probably be nicking your car. That's the kind of people who are drawn to the role of salespeople.

This really is your last warning about scurrilous generalisations like this, and this ridiculous 'gansta' attitude.

Well said Andrew, I personally find the screename in bad taste too.

R

A

Anonymous

What is a 'Gansta' anyway ? Please don't say gangster because only street punks would dream of abbreviating an outdated term to try and give it credibility.

Maybe there are new cross bred rodents called Gansta s. Half Gerbil, half.......

A

Anonymous

There is only space for one gangster in here, and that is the man in my avatar, the original "bad guy".

However, i was in a "Game" store once and the sales guy told an elderly couple the PS3 was sooo much better than the Xbox 360 because according to him the Xbox360 "cant even play dvds"..such a blatant lie that i stepped in and said my 360 plays dvds fine. He said hes manager said they dont play anything but games. He felt like a right fool. Haha!

A

Anonymous

andyb190:
What is a 'Gansta' anyway ? Please don't say gangster because only street punks would dream of abbreviating an outdated term to try and give it credibility.

Maybe there are new cross bred rodents called Gansta s. Half Gerbil, half.......

And I guess you all know what a '187' refers to, say's it all really.

R

A

Anonymous

No I have no idea . But 190 refers to my prison I.D so at least being surrounded by the detritus of society gives me cred by association.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

andyb190:No I have no idea . But 190 refers to my prison I.D so at least being surrounded by the detritus of society gives me cred by association.
emotion-21.gif

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=187

A

Anonymous

Cheers Nutty boy. So some bloke in the UK uses the Detroit call sign for a murder... must sit well in his mums house !! So underground not to use Scunthorpe in the sig.

Why do we still aspire to reach the lows of the US society ? I really wish I knew.

A

Anonymous

VoodooDoctor:Probably just watched this film:
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0118531/

Saw it donkeys years ago and thought it was very good, albeit heavy.

Think thats how I knew what '187' was, and it's in that classic guilty pleasure, Demolition Man, too.

R

A

Anonymous

andyb190:
Cheers Nutty boy. So some bloke in the UK uses the Detroit call sign for a murder... must sit well in his mums house !! So underground not to use Scunthorpe in the sig.

Why do we still aspire to reach the lows of the US society ? I really wish I knew.

If you think about it too much it's really depressing, so I try not to.

R

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Markdc it sounds like you have done most of the work by reading reviews etc, the thing is if you are happy with what you see PQ wise then you are nearly there, it could be that the sales guy genuinly felt the samsung was the better option,if you went to a dealer and they tried to sway into buying a different TV would this be frowned upon probably not. try to see these models else where if this is not possible go back to RS and take some DVDS with you and ask to play these [ not animation] as these tend to look excellent on most TVs, something you are familiar with, then if you are happy go for it RS may even do a deal for you 5 yrs free cover for example, i have to say the samsung does look lovely is the model the rose colour version?? hopefully you can get a bit more advice on this forum as to what would be the best way forward, i know what its like though you get your heart set, then come away left dissapointed, keep an open mind look at the options given to you, but go by what you see and if you are happy go for it, i know RS have had there share of problems with selling products it was covered on this very forum, and there director came on and responded to customers concerns, but on the whole i think you will find most have good things to say about RS,hope this helps a little.

Andy

TRENDING THREADS