SACD - Sacre Bleu !

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Stagea:2L distributes some music in these higher formats

Indeed: 2L records in DXD (Digital eXtreme Definition) 352.8kHz/24-bit, using around three times the bitrate of DSD per channel.

And its releases include 192kHz/24bit stereo LPCM, 192/24 DTS-HD Master Audio (generally 5.0), DSD, CD quality 16-bit/44.1kHz, 192/24 and 96/24 FLAC, and MP3 - all in one package. It's a format-comparer's dream...

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Indeed: 2L records in DXD (Digital eXtreme Definition) 352.8kHz/24-bit, using around three times the bitrate of DSD per channel.
And its releases include 192kHz/24bit stereo LPCM, 192/24 DTS-HD Master Audio (generally 5.0), DSD, CD quality 16-bit/44.1kHz, 192/24 and 96/24 FLAC, and MP3 - all in one package. It's a format-comparer's dream...

192kHz 24 bit - yes please!

How do I connect a Coax cable to a MacBook Pro - do I need an adaptor?

Thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you want to play the 192/24 FLAC files, surely better by far to do it over Firewire into a suitable DAC?

You won't be able to play the LPCM files on the 2L discs on your MBP, as they're on the Blu-ray disc.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:If you want to play the 192/24 FLAC files, surely better by far to do it over Firewire into a suitable DAC?...
My DAC, an rDAC, doesn't have a Firewire socket, but it can handle 192/24 via Coax. Is is not possible to connect a MBP via Coax?

Thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Lee H:Can these be ripped for Sonos use?

Well, given that the files copied from the BD player using the mShuttle technology can then be copied onto a NAS or other streaming server, yes - but only up to CD resolution. Or you could of course just rip the CD layer of the SACD.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
6th.replicant:My rDAC doesn't have a Firewire socket, but it can handle 192/24 via Coax. Is is not possible to connect a MBP via Coax?

Thanks.
Yes. Using the M2Tech hiFace (£100).

It also automatically adjusts sample rate on the fly (as apposed to doing it manually each time via 'Audio MIDI Setup'). And can also pass through 176.4kHz and 192kHz.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
AL13N:6th.replicant:My rDAC doesn't have a Firewire socket, but it can handle 192/24 via Coax. Is is not possible to connect a MBP via Coax?

Thanks.

It also automatically adjusts sample rate on the fly (as apposed to doing it manually each time via 'Audio MIDI Setup'). And can also pass through 176.4kHz and 192kHz.

Thanks for info, but 'scuse me while I get my breath back: One huhh..?! One hun...?! One hundred...?! ONE HUNDRED POUNDS??!! Zounds!!
emotion-8.gif

Arcam doesn't mention that wee detail when it proudly proclaims that the rDAC can play 192/24 DLs.
emotion-40.gif

So, I assume that the M2Tech's USB-end plugs into a MacBP, then a Coax cable connects to t'other end - correct?

Thanks.
emotion-1.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant:Thanks for info, but 'scuse me while I get my breath back: One huhh..?! One hun...?! One hundred...?! ONE HUNDRED POUNDS??!! Zounds!!
emotion-8.gif

Arcam doesn't mention that wee detail when it proudly proclaims that the rDAC can play 192/24 DLs.
emotion-40.gif

Well, of course should you have a computer with an electrical digital output, you don't need that adapter.

6th.replicant:So, I assume that the M2Tech's USB-end plugs into a MacBP, then a Coax
cable connects to t'other end - correct?
Thanks.
emotion-1.gif

Yes, that's it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:AL13N:6th.replicant:My rDAC doesn't have a Firewire socket, but it can handle 192/24 via Coax. Is is not possible to connect a MBP via Coax?

Thanks.

Thanks for info, but 'scuse me while I get my breath back: One huhh..?! One hun...?! One hundred...?! ONE HUNDRED POUNDS??!! Zounds!!
emotion-8.gif

emotion-40.gif

Why would they? If your source doesn't have the necessary connection it's hardly Arcam's fault is it? The rDAC can play 24/192 files, the fact your Mac can't connect to it is the fault of Apple, not Arcam.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Interesting thread! I'm thinking I would like to dip my toe in the SACD pond - but where do you guys all get your discs from?

I have looked on the usual suspects (Amazon, Play etc), and maybe I'm being tight, but the prices seem a little high for the more mainstream stuff I would buy; E.g. Snow Patrol FInal Straw £39.50, MJ Thriller £59.99, Jamie Cullum Twenty Something £29.99, Genesis 1983-1998 £99.00 (ok, a multi disc set I know but...)
emotion-3.gif

I don't mind paying £15-£20 for the increased sound quality, but these prices seem a little steep. And I know I will probably get flamed as some sort of heathen for this, but after looking through almost 1,000 SACD albums on Play (about 30 pages worth) I can firmly say I only recognised about 95% of them (probably because I'm not very up on classical music).

Anyway, can someone point me in the direction of a better site (if there is one)?

And can someone suggest a) a general interest classical music SACD (i.e. one with the more commonly known tracks on) b) a good mainstream acoustic "various artists" album - both to really show off the format and test it on my system?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
gdavies09031977:

Interesting thread! I'm thinking I would like to dip my toe in the SACD pond - but where do you guys all get your discs from?

I have looked on the usual suspects (Amazon, Play etc), and maybe I'm being tight, but the prices seem a little high for the more mainstream stuff I would buy; E.g. Snow Patrol FInal Straw £39.50, MJ Thriller £59.99, Jamie Cullum Twenty Something £29.99, Genesis 1983-1998 £99.00 (ok, a multi disc set I know but...)
emotion-3.gif

I don't mind paying £15-£20 for the increased sound quality, but these prices seem a little steep. And I know I will probably get flamed as some sort of heathen for this, but after looking through almost 1,000 SACD albums on Play (about 30 pages worth) I can firmly say I only recognised about 95% of them (probably because I'm not very up on classical music).

Anyway, can someone point me in the direction of a better site (if there is one)?

And can someone suggest a) a general interest classical music SACD (i.e. one with the more commonly known tracks on) b) a good mainstream acoustic "various artists" album - both to really show off the format and test it on my system?

For what it is worth, I bought an SACD compatible player just so I could get Genesis 1970-75 and the recordings are transformed on SACD. If someone stole them I would pay £300 to replace them if I had to.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hammill:For what it is worth, I bought an SACD compatible player just so I could get Genesis 1970-75 and the recordings are transformed on SACD. If someone stole them I would pay £300 to replace them if I had to.

I've been tempted to do the same, just so I can buy yet another format of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. Now that Sony are including SACD playback in every BDP they make I might well wait until I replace my BDP, although I only bought the S760 last year, irritatingly... the CA 650 universal player might get a look in for the multi-channel outputs as well (I don't have an HDMI amp), if the price drops low enough.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:hammill:For what it is worth, I bought an SACD compatible player just so I could get Genesis 1970-75 and the recordings are transformed on SACD. If someone stole them I would pay £300 to replace them if I had to. I've been tempted to do the same, just so I can buy yet another format of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. Now that Sony are including SACD playback in every BDP they make I might well wait until I replace my BDP, although I only bought the S760 last year, irritatingly... the CA 650 universal player might get a look in for the multi-channel outputs as well (I don't have an HDMI amp), if the price drops low enough.The Sonys look a real bargain. If I were in the market for a new player (which I am not) the only thing that would put me off is the lack of DVD-A support. The Steve Wilson DVD-A King Crimson remaster series are quite outstanding.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:6th.replicant:... Arcam doesn't mention that wee detail when it proudly proclaims that the rDAC can play 192/24 DLs.
emotion-40.gif

Why would they? If your source doesn't have the necessary connection it's hardly Arcam's fault is it? The rDAC can play 24/192 files, the fact your Mac can't connect to it is the fault of Apple, not Arcam.
Then again, one could argue that it was short-sighted of Arcam not to have fitted the rDAC with a Firewire socket, especially because Apple's Mac Mini seems to have become very popular with computer-based music buffs?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:the_lhc:6th.replicant:... Arcam doesn't mention that wee detail when it proudly proclaims that the rDAC can play 192/24 DLs.
emotion-40.gif

Then again, one could argue that it was short-sighted of Arcam not to have fitted the rDAC with a Firewire socket, especially because Apple's Mac Mini seems to have become very popular with computer-based music buffs?

Does the Mini not have a USB socket? Firewire, to my eyes at least, seems to be fading in popularity, I suspect the cost of targeting such a niche market meant it wasn't worth the effort of including a firewire port.

Are there many DACs that include a firewire connection? I can't think of any.

F

FunkyMonkey

gdavies09031977:

emotion-3.gif

The reason they are so expensive is because they had a limited production run due to SACD's short timeframe or limited application to mainstream (non-classical) music. People bought them to make a profit, or ae taking advantage of low supply and relatively high demand.

Please try linn records samplers - a snip at £5 each. There are 4 of them. You can get from linn themselves.

Also try, although a lot more expensive, Blue Coast Records. Probably the best non-classical acoustic recording I have ever heard.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hammill:the_lhc:hammill:For what it is worth, I bought an SACD compatible player just so I could get Genesis 1970-75 and the recordings are transformed on SACD. If someone stole them I would pay £300 to replace them if I had to. I've been tempted to do the same, just so I can buy yet another format of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. Now that Sony are including SACD playback in every BDP they make I might well wait until I replace my BDP, although I only bought the S760 last year, irritatingly... the CA 650 universal player might get a look in for the multi-channel outputs as well (I don't have an HDMI amp), if the price drops low enough.The Sonys look a real bargain. If I were in the market for a new player (which I am not) the only thing that would put me off is the lack of DVD-A support. The Steve Wilson DVD-A King Crimson remaster series are quite outstanding.

Must admit I haven't really given DVD-A a second thought, does the CA machine play it?

Don't know why I'm worrying really, I struggle to find anything I'm interested in on the formats I can play, never mind a load more...

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:hammill:the_lhc:hammill:For what it is worth, I bought an SACD compatible player just so I could get Genesis 1970-75 and the recordings are transformed on SACD. If someone stole them I would pay £300 to replace them if I had to. I've been tempted to do the same, just so I can buy yet another format of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. Now that Sony are including SACD playback in every BDP they make I might well wait until I replace my BDP, although I only bought the S760 last year, irritatingly... the CA 650 universal player might get a look in for the multi-channel outputs as well (I don't have an HDMI amp), if the price drops low enough.The Sonys look a real bargain. If I were in the market for a new player (which I am not) the only thing that would put me off is the lack of DVD-A support. The Steve Wilson DVD-A King Crimson remaster series are quite outstanding. Must admit I haven't really given DVD-A a second thought, does the CA machine play it? Don't know why I'm worrying really, I struggle to find anything I'm interested in on the formats I can play, never mind a load more...Yes the CA machine plays DVD-A - it unsuprisingly has the same list of supported formats as my Oppo.

T

the record spot

gdavies09031977:
emotion-3.gif

I don't mind paying £15-£20 for the increased sound quality...

I wouldn't touch the albums you mention with the prices they're offered at. In many cases, the original discs sound fine - as for Genesis, well, rest assured, you won't gain a whole lot from Nick Davis' treatment as his gifted touch went to lunch for these remixes.

Avoid by far the 76-82 box, that's dead in the water. Hopelessly EQ'd, hard pushed by compression, it's dire. I have them all and this is one of the worst examples of a mastering job I've heard yet. 83-89 isn't bad and you can get it for about £40-odd on Amazon just now. 70-75 is the best of the bunch (I think they'd learnt the craft by then...) but albums like Trespass, while enjoying greater clarity, lose out on the dynamics to some extent that the original discs had. I still prefer the US MCA release for that album and played it again yesterday for the first time in ages. Much better and as clear as a bell.

Yes, SACD can offer great potential. No guarantees that's what you'll get simply because it's a superior format if the work on the music's been botched.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
gdavies09031977:... I'm thinking I would like to dip my toe in the SACD pond - but where do you guys all get your discs from?
I have looked on the usual suspects (Amazon, Play etc), and maybe I'm being tight, but the prices seem a little high ...
It's well worth re-checking Amazon's SACD prices, because they do seem to oscillate.

For example, Bryan Ferry's Boys And Girls was c. £14 a couple of months ago, now it's £49.99; Dark Side of the Moon was c. £12, now it's £6.99.

Linn's SACDs on Amazon are generally priced reasonably, often cheaper than buying from Linn direct; also Pentatone's; RCA's Living Stereo series often throws up plenty of sub-£10 bargains; and Hesperion XXI/Jordi Savall's SACDs are mostly good value and beautifully recorded - Marais/Suitte d'un Gout Etranger sounds particularly lush and is a 2-SACD pack @ £10.17.

Some recent Amazon SACD goodies I've snapped up:

The Marvin Gaye Collection, £12.99

Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto, £12.99

Nick Drake: A Treasury, £4.99

Mackerras & Scottish Chamber Orchestra: Mozart's Symphonies Nos 29, 31 (Paris), 32, 35 (Haffner) & 36 (Linz), 2-SACD pack @ £6.99

Jordi Savall/Le Concert Des Nations: Handel's Water Music Suites I and II/Music for the Royal Fireworks, £7.99

Hilary Hahn & Colin Davis/LSO: Elgar - Violin Concerto / Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending, £9.49

Of course, if you have US-based friends/relatives who often visit the UK, then you can use 'em as couriers so that you can take advantage of Amazon.com's US$ price when you order/pay in £s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts