SACD or DVD-A or ?

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Probably this has been already discussed in the past (but I cannot find a search button to go through older threads)
What do you people think of DVD-A? Are companies investing on that format?
I suppose currently there is more music on SACD than DVD-A but what is the market trend for the after CD era?

T

the record spot

Not much on DVD-A as there is SACD. In the States, it's the other way round; DVD-A was the preferred hi-res format a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, it's all academic now, the lack of support, effective marketing and titles released on either format reduced it to a niche consumer group purchase.

Perversely, there are more and more players coming out now with SACD capability and a handful of universal players can take the main hi-res formats (SACD / DVD-A & HDCD). Cheapest is the Oppo-980 (£160 delivered), but more typically, expect to pay circa £800 upwards to get all three. You might get a deal on some Arcam or NAD gear now they've been out for a while and likewise the Denon DVD3930.

Market trend post-CD is towards the iPod / iTunes computer based format, but there isn't exactly a dearth of hardware on either the CD or vinyl market; the latter enjoying a mini-renaissance after the dark years of the early to mid-90s. Excellent players in both formats are available from budget prices - as little as £130 will get you up and running (less if you consider brands like Tangent) - and the sky's the limit at the other end of the scale.

If hi-res is your thing, check sacd.net, or simply go to Ebay and enter SACD or DVD-A to get a list of titles, often at very reasonable prices. I picked up a few albums from the States at less than I'd have paid in the UK and this included P&P! Billy Joel's "The Stranger" SACD album was about £8 all in, if that and it sounds superb.

Would I buy another hi-res CD player? Definitely. There are enough SACD titles out there to warrant it. DVD-A is another matter, but some can be found (the Talking Heads recent reissues were in DVD-A for instance).

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed analysis.
I was just wondering if we will have soon a new audio format or CD will still live a long life
Not really interested in SACD as I don't want to start collecting SACD but if the market had a new winner I would be glad to join
Although the market seems have chosen a new video format (BlueRay) it doesn't seem so for the audio format

Btw, being a Mission fan, how are the M33i? Are you happy with them? They must be a nice pair of loudspeakers

PS: Don't know what happened but my message was posted 3 times by mistake. I had to delete the rest of them

T

the record spot

I've got the earlier 733i Dennis - different beast from the M33i altogether. Good speaker, works well with all kinds of music, a very easy listen, but can dish out the thump when needed. 10 years old now, but I won't part with them for a while.

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
.....For me DVD-A has the edge re sound quality and the inclusion of on screen lyrics, photos etc is a bonus but as has been said it's a dying (if not quite dead format)

I play my multichannel discs via my Denon 1940 DVD player into a Onkyo 875 ...sound quality can be amazing (and yes better than the equivalent stereo versions) Listen to Steely Dan's DTS version of Gaucho if you can get hold of a copy and Donald Fagen's Morph The Cat DVD-A is awesome.

There are a fairly large no of SACD's out there but for how long is anyone's guess ..Dual discs can also be found online and in a few bigger stores (Dual Discs have one side stereo + one side multichannel)

There are some internet sites which enable you to download some old 4 channel (originally Quadraphonic) releases but their legality is a whole other argument!

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi. I use my DVD-1940 to play both SACD and DVD-A discs. Quality is variable, but I'd say in general both are miles better than CD. It may be a little out of fashion, but I bought (from the USA) The Carpenters' Greatest Hits on SACD and I think it sounds just great! Unfortunately, it's quite difficult to get hold of either format in local shops (we only recently got HMV in our local town here in the backwaters) and even on t'internet there isn't always the gratest choice to suit my strange tastes.

BTW, does anyone know how to select between DTS and Dolby on the DVD-1940 when playing a DVD-A disc such as the Beatles 'Love'? I can't work it out - maybe The Carpenters have rotted my braincell!

A

Anonymous

Dennis Michos:
Although the market seems have chosen a new video format (BlueRay) it doesn't seem so for the audio format

IMHO - I think the main issue (opens floodgates) is that HD video content is much more obviously "better" than HD Audio - I have a Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD/CD Player and whilst the improvement in SACD is there, the problem is that the CD sounds very good in the first place - by and large, HD video (Sky HD or Blu-Ray) is a massive, not just subtle imporovement over standard def.

Just my 2p worth.

A

Anonymous

I've found multichannel SACD to be another world in comparison to CD. If the SACD is well authored, then it envelopes you in the soundstage. But you need very good quality kit to get the most out of and to be able to hear the higher resolution. I do, and it's well worth it I can assure you. Beats standard 2ch. CD hands down any day of the week, IMHO.

A

Anonymous

DVD Audio is by far better sounding. I have the exact same disc on SACD (miles davis) and the DVD-A disc blows it out of the water.

(Played on a Linn Unidisc / Komri speaker).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts