Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello.

DVD-A and SACD music in 5.1 over HDMI. How does that work then? DVD-A uses MLP lossless multi-channel audio. However I have never seen on a manufacturer's website that a particular receiver decodes the format. I have seen though websites mentioning the fact that the receiver decodes multi-channel SACD. Universal disc players once had 5.1 anologue outputs on the back for connection to similar inputs on the receiver. The player did all the work. Now it seems universal players are not equipped with such socketry, just HDMI. Am I being thick, or is DVD-A dying? Hope not, I love them. Unbelievable sound quality.

Many thanks.

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Well I have plenty of DVD-As. They sound truly fantastic. Difficult going back to plain stereo music after hearing them.

I've found out the answer to my question. Recent DVD-A and SACD players now output via HDMI to the receiver. Receivers these days can now decode DSD from SACDs, either stereo or multi-channel, but the player decodes DVD-A (MLP Lossless) and outputs via HDMI as either stereo or multi-channel PCM. Receivers don't decode MLP. This will be either stereo at a maximum of 24 bit 192khz, or 5.1 at a maximum of 24 bit 96khz. DVD-As can also come uncompressed in pure PCM if the total data will fit on the disc. Maximum data rate from a DVD-A is 9.6 Mbps. However the maximum data rate from a music Blu-Ray encoded in lossless Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio is upwards of 18 Mbps. Hence DVD-As are indeed now dead, music labels preferring Music Blu-Rays now. An interesting point is that Dolby True HD and I believe DTS-HD use MLP to losslessly compress the music. MLP stands for Meridian Lossless Packing, invented by our very own Meridian Audio in the UK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts