Running speaker cable and mains cable next to each other

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I think the general consensus is that it shouldn't make any difference but just wondering if anyone found it did?

I'm considering running about 6ft of mains cable directly next to 6ft of speaker wire (only one channel). There is no ther way of getting the power where I want it.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
I think running anything alongside a mains cable is bad, whether it is signal, speaker or network cable.

If you can avoid it you should. If you can't, well, you'll tell us if you notice a difference

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Try it. If you can hear a difference then try zigzagging the speaker cable so it runs across instead of parallel with the power cable.

You're probably worrying too much though.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
There is no space to zig zag or anything. It's underneath a door bar in a small gap where a wood floor turns into a tiled floor. Might wrap a bit of aluminium foil around for good measure though.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
In a studio environment they teach you that if you can't keep mike-cables or line-cables away from trailing power cords then at least make sure they overlap each other in a cross '+' pattern. But speaker cables...meh. They carry exponentially higher voltages. If you can hear marked deterioration just because you're running your speaker cables near your mains cables, especially when you consider that under most flooboards are criss-crosses of the things heading all directions, then you've got better ears than me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts