Running in Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've seen mention of the need to run in speakers before reviewing them. Is it possible to generalise about the way speakers change sonically during this run in period? Is a brand-new demo speaker likely to develop nasty habits after being run in, or will it only improve. If so what kind of improvements? (Genuine seeker of knowledge here!)

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Some use tends to loosen up the mechanical components of speakers, not least the surrounds on drivers, which soften a little with some flexing back and forth.

The results can be better bass control and definition, and a slight softening of overbright treble, though the degree of change tends to vary from speaker to speaker, and dependent on other factors such as ambient temperature, humidity, driver and suspension materials, etc...

Escapism

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I imagine there are exceptions, perhaps (heavily mechanically damped drivers or something) but generally I wouldn't worry about it. I expect the only thing that changes with time for a given set of speakers will be your perception of how it sounds.

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks. I have items on demo from the shop and, whilst the guys have been really good about it, I'm likely to get a max of 20 or 30 hrs listening before having to decide. So what I'm interested to find out is whether a speaker gets more mellow, faster, brighter or what? Or is it a case of not being able to generalise in this way?

A

Anonymous

Ah Ok thanks, mostly mechanical bedding-in then! Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Umm - not sure - have been told that they have never been used at all. Boxes weren't taped though - I was told this was due to the speakers being out on display but never hooked up

BTW pretty impressive to be able to get access to expert knowledge so quickly - cheers!

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
IW:Ok thanks. I have items on demo from the shop and, whilst the guys have been really good about it, I'm likely to get a max of 20 or 30 hrs listening before having to decide. So what I'm interested to find out is whether a speaker gets more mellow, faster, brighter or what? Or is it a case of not being able to generalise in this way?

I bought my ATC scm19's in mid January and have about 250 hours on them now. Ive been told ATC speakers need a lot of running in and to expect upto 400 hours.

I did however have friends round last weekend and played about 3 solid hours of very loud music. Since then the speakers have really opened up and the amount of information on my cd's i didnt know was there is amazing. Also the bass is a lot smoother and more controlled than when i first listened to the speakers.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
IW:Umm - not sure - have been told that they have never been used at all. Boxes weren't taped though - I was told this was due to the speakers being out on display but never hooked up

Ah right, well the changes are usually pretty subtle: if you're listening to them as they are now and really quite like them, they'll probably only get better; if you think they're not to your taste now, chances are no amount of running in will change your mind.

A

Anonymous

Thanks - the trend seems to be positive - virtues will be enhanced and it is unlikely that a speaker that sounds good now will degrade into someting nasty in the medium term. (In fact, the opposite behaviour to my car then
emotion-1.gif
)

A

Anonymous

My apologies to all on the board for unwittingly providing Mr Everard with the opportunity! I promise to be more careful in future.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Some use tends to loosen up the mechanical components of speakers, not least the surrounds on drivers, which soften a little with some flexing back and forth.

The results can be better bass control and definition, and a slight softening of overbright treble, though the degree of change tends to vary from speaker to speaker, and dependent on other factors such as ambient temperature, humidity, driver and suspension materials, etc...

The one thing that can be said about all five pairs of speakers that I have owned from new is that they sounded no worse after running in. With the first two speakers my amplifier was so bad that no running in was detectable. The other three became less mechanical and more musical. Notably, my Wharfedale Valdus 100SEs sounded bassy, muffled and monochromatic when new but they changed more during running in than any of my other speakers, developing an open, colourful and musical sound.

A

Anonymous

MattSPL:

I did however have friends round last weekend and played about 3 solid hours of very loud music. Since then the speakers have really opened up and the amount of information on my cd's i didnt know was there is amazing. Also the bass is a lot smoother and more controlled than when i first listened to the speakers.

How are the neighbours ;?)

Interesting - thanks - I've ben playing fairly loud. I guess this reinforces what Andrew says about the effect being due mostly to mechnical 'loosening up' Seems like you are enjoying them!

A

Anonymous

Would agree with andrew on the mechanics thing, had mine for 6 months now and they really sing, so guess the answer is that after some run in time, speakers do show their true colours

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
IW:MattSPL:

How are the neighbours ;?)

Interesting - thanks - I've ben playing fairly loud. I guess this reinforces what Andrew says about the effect being due mostly to mechnical 'loosening up' Seems like you are enjoying them!

No complaints. Yet
emotion-11.gif

My house is a semi and the living room is on the gabel end so next door isn't a problem but there is quite a lot of glass in the living room, so from outside even when playing moderatly loud like i would normally, you can hear it outside.

Yes, enjoying the speakers a lot but if i was to play very loud on a regular basis i think id need a big power amp to control the drivers a little more. But im only talking about silly party volume levels because im fussy too.

A

Anonymous

One set of speakers I'm listening to is Heco Celan 300 (ex-display, but unused, at approx 400stg, which is top of my budget for speakers). Quite like these, but tend a little to warmth and perhaps a little bit of looseness. Rear ported, but about a metre away from teh back wall, and on reasonable stands.

Is it folks experience in general that bass will tighten and transients improve?

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
IW:
One set of speakers I'm listening to is Heco Celan 300 (ex-display, but unused, at approx 400stg, which is top of my budget for speakers). Quite like these, but tend a little to warmth and perhaps a little bit of looseness. Rear ported, but about a metre away from teh back wall, and on reasonable stands.

Is it folks experience in general that bass will tighten and transients improve?

Yes bass will usually tighten up, sometimes sounding like you have slightly less bass than when the speakers were new because its tighter.

But, if that particular speaker is warm and lush sounding, it may have a fullsome bass that isn't as tight as others. So no amaount of breaking in may solve the problem.

What i usually do when buying hifi is, look for as many reviews on the product as possible. I read them all and see if several or all reviews describe the sound as what im looking for.
I usually look out for the product being described as Fast, highly detailed and having tight accurate bass, because thats the sound i like.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Matt - actually really liking the Hecos, clear and transparant midrange, good stereo imaging and pleasantly smooth and easy going. But my assessment is based on less than 20 hrs listening and everything is sooo much better than my very elderly existing system that I'm struggling with all the variables!

They seem to review well, not the very best, but most of the reviews are assuming/comparing with stuff at list, which is about 700 beer vouchers. Some reviewers say that they have an 'old-fashioned' sound due to the paper cones, which is probably to my liking as I was brought up on 70's equipment and haven't changed components since then.

Other speakers the dealer is suggesting are Klipsch RF 52 ex-demo (approx £500) and Tannoy Mercury 4 custom 2nd hand (approx £200). Room can take floors-standers or standmounts, and I have a set of stands.

Always interested in any other suggestions at a £400 price-point however.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Ive heard severam times the celan 700 or 800 dont remember wich,and they are very good indeed.Also heard victa 300 a step down from your celan's and they were also very balanced speakers.the floorstanders celan are a bargain of a good speaker

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Being ported, they probably only need 50hrs to run in so your nearly there, just leave them on if you go out.

If you like the 70's hifi and dont mind second hand, there is some nice Kef ref 104's on ebay for £123.45. My friends dad has some and they are great with lovely bass.

A

Anonymous

I'll have a look. I've not bought hifi for nearly 25 years, so the appeal of shiny and new is quite strong, plus I'm hoping that this will the resolution of a sudden upgrade itch (probably an early symptom of an impending 'mid-life') rather than the start of a bad rash!

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
IW:

I'll have a look. I've not bought hifi for nearly 25 years, so the appeal of shiny and new is quite strong, plus I'm hoping that this will the resolution of a sudden upgrade itch (probably an early symptom of an impending 'mid-life') rather than the start of a bad rash!

Yes a nice new pair of speakers will hopefully keep the urge at bay.
Im dreading what ill be like when the crisis hits as im bad enough now with upgrades and im only 28.

TRENDING THREADS