Rotel streaming systems

plastic penguin

Well-known member
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
Has anyone heard the Rotel RT-09 or 1520? If so are they any good?
Hi plastic penguin

No, not yet. Are you looking to buy?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Not yet - trying to make a short-list of streamers. I've discounted Olive, Naim, Linn and just leaves me with Marantz and possibly one of the Rotels. I like the brand so it seems logical to at least dem it, but don't want to waste anyone's time if it isn't up to scratch.
 
T

the record spot

Guest
Hey PP, check out Cocktail Audio's X10 server system as well - £279 for the non-hard drive option. 1TB and 2TB HDD options exist for a higher price. Looks neat, nice interface, not tried it yet, but comes with an onboard 60w amp, or you can go through your own stereo or AV amp instead. Good connectivity too - USB, optical, ethernet, speaker connections are via spring clip terminals only, but that's needn't be an issue (for me anyway). Could be worth investigating.

http://www.cocktailaudio.com/overview.html

http://en.iamm.es/tabs/X10/tab-conexiones?id=X10

 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
the record spot said:
Hey PP, check out Cocktail Audio's X10 server system as well - £279 for the non-hard drive option. 1TB and 2TB HDD options exist for a higher price. Looks neat, nice interface, not tried it yet, but comes with an onboard 60w amp, or you can go through your own stereo or AV amp instead. Good connectivity too - USB, optical, ethernet, speaker connections are via spring clip terminals only, but that's needn't be an issue (for me anyway). Could be worth investigating.

http://www.cocktailaudio.com/overview.html

http://en.iamm.es/tabs/X10/tab-conexiones?id=X10

Thanks, RS - certainly looks a neat little critter. Another one to add to my 'possible' list.

BTW, where do you find these products?
 
T

the record spot

Guest
I just need to get out more PP, I'll leave it at that...!
 

Crocodile

New member
Jan 15, 2009
38
0
0
the record spot said:
Hey PP, check out Cocktail Audio's X10 server system as well
In common with many such devices, that screen/display looks dreadful. 3.5" LCDs are woefully inadequate for displaying meaningful info, especially from across a room. And what's with the musical symbol taking up nearly half the screen space?

As I've said before (& Andrews link to his review of the Rotel illustrates), reviews of these products really need to take a step forward. It's no longer enough to just give an impression of how a streamer sounds. The user interface is almost as important. IMO, it's little use having access to thousands of tracks from the comfort of your chair if the reality means you've got to physically go to the unit to see what it's doing with tiny text on a tiny screen.

Does it play MP3 gapless?

How easy is it to build a playlist?

Is searching/scrolling fast?

What's the browsing experience like?

Is album art supported?

If it is, can it be switched off to give more screen space to text?

How easy is it for party guests to get to grips with?

Is there a protected mode so they can't do any damage to the current playlist?

Etc.
 

Gareth82

New member
Mar 13, 2011
55
0
0
Hey PP, be sure to check out the Squeezebox Touch as well.

If you are just after a music streamer then you can't go wrong IMO,It's a bargin for the price and has got a very good interface and displays album art etc, plus it would be alot smaller than the streamers you have mentioned. The built in DAC is also ment to be pritty good.

If you are after a streamer with more features then i would go with the marantz myself, along with being a streamer and having internet radio it has also got DAB and has a built in DAC so you could get rid of the DacMagic and use the Marantz as a streamer and a DAC if needed.

And to confuse you even more, don't forget the Cambridge Audio NP30 and that NAD and Denon also have new streamers out.

Hop that has helped and keep us updated on which one you choose.
 

John Duncan

Well-known member
Jan 8, 2008
2,027
13
19,695
Crocodile said:
Does it play MP3 gapless?

How easy is it to build a playlist?

Is searching/scrolling fast?

What's the browsing experience like?

Is album art supported?

If it is, can it be switched off to give more screen space to text?

How easy is it for party guests to get to grips with?

Is there a protected mode so they can't do any damage to the current playlist?

Etc.
These are interesting points though, I shall bear them in mind.
 
T

the record spot

Guest
Crocodile said:
the record spot said:
Hey PP, check out Cocktail Audio's X10 server system as well
In common with many such devices, that screen/display looks dreadful. 3.5" LCDs are woefully inadequate for displaying meaningful info, especially from across a room. And what's with the musical symbol taking up nearly half the screen space?

As I've said before (& Andrews link to his review of the Rotel illustrates), reviews of these products really need to take a step forward. It's no longer enough to just give an impression of how a streamer sounds. The user interface is almost as important. IMO, it's little use having access to thousands of tracks from the comfort of your chair if the reality means you've got to physically go to the unit to see what it's doing with tiny text on a tiny screen.

Does it play MP3 gapless?

How easy is it to build a playlist?

Is searching/scrolling fast?

What's the browsing experience like?

Is album art supported?

If it is, can it be switched off to give more screen space to text?

How easy is it for party guests to get to grips with?

Is there a protected mode so they can't do any damage to the current playlist?

Etc.
Given as it's a new product (or newish) it's not been reviewed yet I doubt, so it's either you buy it and tell us, or wait and see. I think it's pretty neat. Some of the queries you've mentioned are not an issue for me, but you might want to cut and paste those questions and email Cocktail Audio directly, then you can come back and tell us.

Here's the overview page from their site; I could nitpick about the product, the size of the screen, etc., but for what it is, it looks good.

http://www.cocktailaudio.com/overview.html
 

altruistic.lemon

New member
Jul 25, 2011
64
0
0
Mate, they have no idea how to connect a turntable to an amp, despite the illustration. Wonder about the speaker connection, too, looks pretty poor. It's a 30W amp, too.
 
T

the record spot

Guest
Speaker connections - fine. Spring clips are fine by me; used those on my old Sansui amps and they never caused a bit of a problem. Then again, I use bare wires. Amp power? Well, you can bypass it, but as standalone units go, 30w didn't seem to bother Naim with their UnitiQute and people raved over that one. I imagine for the turntable, they've connected up an Ion USB type thing, but of course, that can be easily overcome I think?
 

Crocodile

New member
Jan 15, 2009
38
0
0
John Duncan said:
Missing album art...
I did wonder but surely no manufacturer would be daft enough to organise a photo shoot of their product without checking the file was tagged first?

the record spot said:
you might want to cut and paste those questions and email Cocktail Audio directly, then you can come back and tell us.
I'm afraid you've completely missed the point I was making. Pretty much every review I've read of every streaming device completely ignores the user interface/experience. These devices go way beyond "Just press play" & how well or otherwise they do that will be a huge part of how the product is perceived in daily use. After all, if it wasn't for the interace, the iPod would be just another MP3 player with sales to match.
 
T

the record spot

Guest
Not at all; they might be issues for you, but the plus points of this little unit would outweigh the negative for me if I were to buy it.
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Gareth82 said:
Hey PP, be sure to check out the Squeezebox Touch as well.

If you are just after a music streamer then you can't go wrong IMO,It's a bargin for the price and has got a very good interface and displays album art etc, plus it would be alot smaller than the streamers you have mentioned. The built in DAC is also ment to be pritty good.

If you are after a streamer with more features then i would go with the marantz myself, along with being a streamer and having internet radio it has also got DAB and has a built in DAC so you could get rid of the DacMagic and use the Marantz as a streamer and a DAC if needed.

And to confuse you even more, don't forget the Cambridge Audio NP30 and that NAD and Denon also have new streamers out.

Hop that has helped and keep us updated on which one you choose.
Given I've recently had a not so good experience with Olive (don't tell Popeye:dance: ), Naim and my DacMagic I'm still a dog trying to chew a concrete bone.

Although there's no immediate rush, definitely something needs to be done in the not too distant future.

Definitely out: Olive, Naim and DacMagic*

Still to hear: Marantz, Rotel, decent DAC + whatever (AirPlay), Nad (never been over keen on the brand), Audiolab CD8200**.

This is all conjecture and guesswork but what I'll need, at some point, is a good home dem.

*Short-term it's a keeper, until I find something more suitable

** Heard only briefly in a shop, so subject to home dem. It won't be my first choice.
 

Gareth82

New member
Mar 13, 2011
55
0
0
Yes i think whichever you choose would need a home demo first.

I have been thinking of getting a streamer for a while now but the problem is, which one to choose? I think it is important to have a hands on with whichever one you choose as they all will have pros and cons and some will be easier to use than others while some are overpriced for what features they have etc.

I think once you find the right balance between features and user interface and can sit back and enjoy it you will look back in a few years and think it was maybe the best addition to your Hi Fi that you have made.
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Gareth82 said:
Yes i think whichever you choose would need a home demo first.

I have been thinking of getting a streamer for a while now but the problem is, which one to choose? I think it is important to have a hands on with whichever one you choose as they all will have pros and cons and some will be easier to use than others while some are overpriced for what features they have etc.

I think once you find the right balance between features and user interface and can sit back and enjoy it you will look back in a few years and think it was maybe the best addition to your Hi Fi that you have made.
Agreed: The Rotel brand is so respected on here, so why has their streamers been ignored?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS