Acustic research ar4xa

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi all, just wondered if anyone has had any experience with the ar4xa speakers and what amp pairing would be a good match? Am currently using a thorens td60, ca cxa60 with these speakers, but getting the upgrade bug..am tempted with the aidiolab 6000a or naim, would lovecto hear any suggestions. Room size 15'x 12' and listen to vinyl and c.ds , no interest in streaming.

The Acoustic Research AR4xa was my first ever Hifi purchase, but that was in 1973, so your speakers may be fifty years old. It’s impossible to know how much they’ve deteriorated in that time.

They will work with any solid-state amp over 25wpc, and by today’s standards were on the mellow side, tonally. What I’m essentially saying is any reasonable amp will be fine. However, try to hear some modern speakers for a comparison.

Reactions: Gray

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
The Acoustic Research AR4xa was my first ever Hifi purchase, but that was in 1973, so your speakers may be fifty years old. It’s impossible to know how much they’ve deteriorated in that time.

They will work with any solid-state amp over 25wpc, and by today’s standards were on the mellow side, tonally. What I’m essentially saying is any reasonable amp will be fine. However, try to hear some modern speakers for a comparison.
Hi, the speakers have been rewired and had a makeover, love the mellow sound. Have had modern speakers, but they all seem a bit too bright..was wondering if a vintage amp would sound great with them? Rather than a modern intigrated, or maybeca tube amp?

Hi, the speakers have been rewired and had a makeover, love the mellow sound. Have had modern speakers, but they all seem a bit too bright..was wondering if a vintage amp would sound great with them? Rather than a modern intigrated, or maybeca tube amp?
Well, you’ve had my suggestion, but by all means try anything you fancy. A modern amp is just what they need, if it were me.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Well, you’ve had my suggestion, but by all means try anything you fancy. A modern amp is just what they need, if it were me.
I'm using a modern amp with old speakers. Maybe not 1973 old, but 1993 old which is still getting on I dare say.
Anyhow I've found it a great combination. I personally think it works very well to use the best quality modern amp you can. You can choose an amp with the kind of sound signature that suits your taste and that you feel suits your source components and speakers.
Since, like me you're not interested in streaming, if I were you I'd stay clear of amps with streaming capabilities and DAC, unless you want those things, so that all the money you spend is concentrated into, what's necessary and desirable to you.

Reactions: nopiano

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
A good choice, I’m sure. In their day, 25 to 30 watts was powerful, and I had a modest 20wpc Tandberg receiver, as radio was a big feature in my listening.
Nice, Tanberg look to have great vintage amps. What's your opinion on the thorens turntables compared to the modern turntables? I used to have a rega p2 but sounded veiled next to my thorens td.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts