Room 101

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Drivers who tailgate learners, and then seem to wonder why the learner seems panicked and drives even more slowly...
Yeah unfortunately I see a lot of that, I always give them wide berth. I understand we were all there once.

What really get's up my goat, are drivers on the outer motorway lane, driving dangerously slow, not moving into the inner lane.
Even on the innermost lane, they're still doing like 30-40mph (excluding long heavy goods vehicles) which is not consistent with the general flow of the motorway.

Really dangerous, especially when you pulled into the inner lane because the driver in your rear mirror wants to pass, and you find yourself braking very hard because the driver in front of you, you had not anticipated that they were driving like it was a milk float.

Last edited:

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Drivers who tailgate learners, and then seem to wonder why the learner seems panicked and drives even more slowly...
My first driving instructor slammed the brakes on (dual control) when I was being tailgated and then gave the other driver a right mouthful. I didn't stay with that driving instructor long, I thought that was more dangerous than the guy tailgating me.
I have been known to shout at other drivers when they are tailgating a learner "back off you idiot, you wear a learner once"

Picture this. You are following a dawdler out of a supermarket car park. Oh well - what can you do? They get to the junction with the main road - one wide enough that those turning right can keep to the right, thereby not impeding those who have the easier task of turning left. Dawdler sits smack bang in the middle, meaning that no-one leaves until she can. Happens all the time...

Are these people lacking in awareness, rubbish drivers, taking the mick - or some unholy combination of the three?

I know in the scheme of things this amounts to absolutely nothing at all, but I do find other people's lack of consideration for others to be something that irks me more as I've got older.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Picture this. You are following a dawdler out of a supermarket car park. Oh well - what can you do? They get to the junction with the main road - one wide enough that those turning right can keep to the right, thereby not impeding those who have the easier task of turning left. Dawdler sits smack bang in the middle, meaning that no-one leaves until she can. Happens all the time...

Are these people lacking in awareness, rubbish drivers, taking the mick - or some unholy combination of the three?

I know in the scheme of things this amounts to absolutely nothing at all, but I do find other people's lack of consideration for others to be something that irks me more as I've got older.
My sister-in-law is one of those people, someone would cross the zebra crossing, she'll slam her brakes and start honking and yelling at the person.
Yes, it's someone filled with their own self-importance, that they're the victim of their own making and that everyone, should rally around them at their beck and call.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site

I have a similar issue on the way to work. I have to turn right at a T junction and I always pull over as close to the white line as possible, so those turning left can still turn left. The number of people that stay in the middle when turning either left or right is crazy. I was even behind one last week that pulled over to the right as much as me but turned left. I've had some near misses though with people on the main road turning right into the T junction and looking at me like I shouldn't be there. "I'm sorry did my pulling over to the right stop you from cutting the corner?"

jjbomber

I have a similar issue on the way to work. I have to turn right at a T junction and I always pull over as close to the white line as possible, so those turning left can still turn left. The number of people that stay in the middle when turning either left or right is crazy.
Especially true in one way streets, when people turning right remain on the left hand side lane.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Especially true in one way streets, when people turning right remain on the left hand side lane.
There is a street in our little town that was made a one way nearly 30 years ago and we still get people sitting in the left lane and turning right. We still get to occasional driver turning the wrong way into the street.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
One that really winds me up. Royal Mail tracking. Seriously what is the point? Every other courier you can track your package from being dispatched by the sender, picked up, arriving at the distribution depot, arriving at your local depot, out for delivery etc
Not Royal Mail. I'm awaiting the delivery of a Jean Michel Jarre CD, I got the email yesterday to say it's been dispatched with a tracking number. Clicked the tracking number and you just get the message "You can't track the package until we have attempted first delivery"
I sat there thinking oh yeah of course it's pigging Royal Mail.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
One that really winds me up. Royal Mail tracking. Seriously what is the point? Every other courier you can track your package from being dispatched by the sender, picked up, arriving at the distribution depot, arriving at your local depot, out for delivery etc
Not Royal Mail. I'm awaiting the delivery of a Jean Michel Jarre CD, I got the email yesterday to say it's been dispatched with a tracking number. Clicked the tracking number and you just get the message "You can't track the package until we have attempted first delivery"
I sat there thinking oh yeah of course it's pigging Royal Mail.
It’s not a tracked service. The sender may say it’s tracked, and give you some sort of number, but it isn’t a tracked service. A true RM tracking reference should end GB and in my experience, the service works fine. I’ve got a 4k blu ray en route and know to the hour when it’ll arrive.

Reactions: DougK1

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
It’s not a tracked service. The sender may say it’s tracked, and give you some sort of number, but it isn’t a tracked service. A true RM tracking reference should end GB and in my experience, the service works fine. I’ve got a 4k blu ray en route and know to the hour when it’ll arrive.
ETA was 10.29 - 11.29. Just delivered.

Attachments

• IMG_2717.png
    IMG_2717.png
    192.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Cricketbat70

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
That explains a lot, as my son said "oh I thought they'd changed it because I bought something recently it came with Royal Mail and I could track it"🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

Reactions: Minkey1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts