roksan kandy cdp mk3 detail loss....help!

nij_1

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
I have recently upgraded my sony cdp xb930 to a roksan kandy mk3 cd player to go with my roksan mk3 amp. The problem is that although the player sounds fantastically detailed in the midrange, it seems it's at the expense of detail at the other ends of the spectrum (drum beats especially) compared to my old machine. I still use audio monitor br2 budget speakers as they had no difficulty in recovering
the missing information from the old sony. The question is, what path do I take next? Do I change the roksan CDP, change the interconnect (van den hul 'the name' at present) or can a speaker upgrade change the character of the sound?

Cheers for any kelp

A

Anonymous

I see no-one has responed to this as yet, I would be interested to know what people reccomend and their thoughts in general re the cd player choice you have made.

I am still using the xb930 cd player and have no problems with it at all. My next focus is on getting surround sound. (sorry 2 channel purists!) I also have a sony FB 930 amp and have 3 questions to pose - if anyone can provide their opinion........................

I want to keep my B&W 601's as my main hi-fi speakers and use them as my fronts for surround. I know that generally you have to spend more on an AV reciever than a hi-fi amp to get similar quality hi-fi sound, but I guess what I'm asking is have AV recievers caught up with the 9 year old technology in my cd player and amp to the effect that it won't make a huge difference if spending similar amounts on them.

1. What price do AV receivers with pre-outs come in at (is the onkyo 705 about the best val for money there is)?

2. Is the rule likely to be that an AV with preout connected to a dedicated hi-fi amp will always outperform a similar priced AV receiver alone for hifi - even if the hi-fi amp and the cd player is 9 years old (or more specifically if they are my Sony ones listed above!)?

3. a) How much extra would you need to spend on an AV receiver to get similar hi-fi standard without using the pre-out? b) How much more to get noticeably better hi-fi sound?

nij_1:I have recently upgraded my sony cdp xb930 to a roksan kandy mk3 cd player to go with my roksan mk3 amp. The problem is that although the player sounds fantastically detailed in the midrange, it seems it's at the expense of detail at the other ends of the spectrum (drum beats especially) compared to my old machine. I still use audio monitor br2 budget speakers as they had no difficulty in recovering
the missing information from the old sony. The question is, what path do I take next? Do I change the roksan CDP, change the interconnect (van den hul 'the name' at present) or can a speaker upgrade change the character of the sound?

Cheers for any kelp

You would probably get more joy if you re-post the thread in the HI-FI section.

Regarding the loss of detail in the bass and treble, I can only think that it's your speakers that is letting the system down. I recently tried Kandy LIII on my MA RS6's and the detail levels throughout the range was impressive.

It may be a good idea to listen to a couple of different makes and see if you notice any change or if any of them "float your boat."

Good luck

PP

A

Anonymous

I have had the Roksan Kandy MKIII Amp and the MKIII CD Player with MA BR2's and they were superb. In my opinion, I think your cables are at fault. I would suggest a Chord combination.

A

Anonymous

To qualify my comments - 'superb' for the price. I have since upgraded to EPOS M22's. I still maintain that the MA BR2's are superb speakers, for the price;)

A

Anonymous

I had the Roksan combo a few years back, nice!

Worked well (for me) with Chord ic's (anthem) and a pair of Quad 11Ls.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I have the Roksan Kandy MkIII CD and integrated amp set up,chord cobra interconnect, QED silver micro biwire, wired to Monitor Audio silver RS6s and find the sound to be amazing, detailed at high medium and low ranges.

I just got QED qonduit mains cables and Tacima CS929 mains conditioner and the extra level of detail is astonishing. I was worried that the extra expense wouldn't be worth it but am very very glad I got these.

Also Densen DEmagic Cd to de-magnetise system works very well!

A

Anonymous

Hello. I am considering the Tacima mains thingy. I have the same feeling too about it being a poncy waste of money, but you say that there is a noticable difference in sound quality. Just how much would you say? Cheers, Keith

A

Anonymous

I think the problem is the Sony XB930 has different filters on it and if I remember rightly filter 1 or 2 gives it a bass boost. If you compare the cd player to your new one with filter set to STD, then you wouldn't mention a difference in bass. However what I found when adjusting the filter was that it sounds good on some songs but not others.

A

Anonymous

sapnustmule:Hello. I am considering the Tacima mains thingy. I have the same feeling too about it being a poncy waste of money, but you say that there is a noticable difference in sound quality. Just how much would you say? Cheers, Keith

Not worth it if you live in Europe. What prompts you to think of buying one?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts