Best selection of speakers for Roksan Kandy K3 amp

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Evening all,

I recently acquired a Roksan Kandy K3 amp to replace my Rotel RA-06 se - amazing difference and improvement for me...

I still have my old trustworthy B&W 685s S1, and i'm still a bit disappointed with the sound unless the volume is dialed up...and even at that.... So i'd like to change them for a more appropriate speaker model for this level of amp.

Which ones could you recommend? Bookshelfs or Freestanding (preferrably bookshelf since i already have good stands).

Musical interests: Mainly Jazz, Rock, Pop. Listening either to Spotify or CD Arcam FMJ-17.

I'm drawn towards trying some Harbeth, ATC or PMC...(or even some B&W 683s S2 even although floorstanders) Would appreciate if the budget could stay under £1500..

p.s I play drums and the bass guitar, so i do appreciate the lower end frequencies..

Thanks for your experience and comments.

I've moved on myself from b&w 685's to cm5's and now onto pmc twenty 21's.which really are amazing little speakers and the k3 should have the current they crave to be driven well.they don't have the kick of floorstsnding units,but for there size,the bass is more than adequate,providing they're sited not too far from a wall.the pace and rhythm is second to none at this price point with a lovely natural sound,and the sonolex tweeter is the dogs doo dahs if you crave that brush stroke or shimmer of a cymbal.The transmission line is a superbly implemented piece of speaker technology and basically doubles up as a second bass driver.you can probably tell, I love my wee pmc's.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
pudscud76 said:
Evening all,

I recently acquired a Roksan Kandy K3 amp to replace my Rotel RA-06 se - amazing difference and improvement for me...

I still have my old trustworthy B&W 685s S1, and i'm still a bit disappointed with the sound unless the volume is dialed up...and even at that.... So i'd like to change them for a more appropriate speaker model for this level of amp.

Which ones could you recommend? Bookshelfs or Freestanding (preferrably bookshelf since i already have good stands).

Musical interests: Mainly Jazz, Rock, Pop. Listening either to Spotify or CD Arcam FMJ-17.

I'm drawn towards trying some Harbeth, ATC or PMC...(or even some B&W 683s S2 even although floorstanders) Would appreciate if the budget could stay under £1500..

p.s I play drums and the bass guitar, so i do appreciate the lower end frequencies..

I would try as a demo Dali optcons 6 floor standing speakers £1300 and 6 years warranty one hell of a speaker and go well with the k3

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
pudscud76 said:
Evening all,

Why did you buy the K3 without testing speakers to go with it?

Chris

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I've moved on myself from b&w 685's to cm5's and now onto pmc twenty 21's.which really are amazing little speakers and the k3 should have the current they crave to be driven well.they don't have the kick of floorstsnding units,but for there size,the bass is more than adequate,providing they're sited not too far from a wall.the pace and rhythm is second to none at this price point with a lovely natural sound,and the sonolex tweeter is the dogs doo dahs if you crave that brush stroke or shimmer of a cymbal.The transmission line is a superbly implemented piece of speaker technology and basically doubles up as a second bass driver.you can probably tell, I love my wee pmc's.

Cheers Mark Rose-Smith. Sure that the higher frequencies are nice on the PMC twenty 21s, but what about the lower end?

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Covenanter said:
pudscud76 said:
Evening all,

Why did you buy the K3 without testing speakers to go with it?

Chris

@Chris, I was fairly condifent that the 685s would do a reasonable job with the K3, and since i was looking for an amp with a good deal of punch, i opted to go for the first step upgrade on the amp, before the speakers.

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Presumably you are looking at second hand speakers are you?

Otherwise I would be trying to audition B&W CM6 S2 or, giving better bass, the florstanding Tannoy Revolution XT8f or Quadral Rhodium 500's.

@Al ears. Not necessarily second hand, but lets see what's available. Have you auditioned the Tannoys or the Quadrals?...with the K3?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
That dont dip to much as the sound may get grainy. But im speaking from a k2 point of view. Id go for speakers in the same price range as the amp and not be too ambitious with the limitations of the power supply. Though reading reviews and user reviews it seems improved over the k2

The low end on the twenty 21's is fantastic.it's tight and the bass drives along with agility and very little overhang,but they're only 32cm's tall and will not get as low as floorstanders.Also a wall behind them is important imho.they sound quite lean in free space.there is plenty of favourable reviews on the net ,but at the end of the day you really need to get out and demo the gear you're interested in.

pudscud76 said:
Al ears said:

Otherwise I would be trying to audition B&W CM6 S2 or, giving better bass, the florstanding Tannoy Revolution XT8f or Quadral Rhodium 500's.

@Al ears. Not necessarily second hand, but lets see what's available. Have you auditioned the Tannoys or the Quadrals?...with the K3?

I am suggesting you try to audition them. If possible in your own home. The amp is not critical it's whether or not they suit your listening room.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
pudscud76 said:
Al ears said:

@Al ears. Not necessarily second hand, but lets see what's available. Have you auditioned the Tannoys or the Quadrals?...with the K3??

I am suggesting you try to audition them. If possible in your own home. The amp is not critical it's whether or not they suit your listening room.

Agree but want to add that i think tannoy goes well with roksan amps. A must audition

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts