RIP George Michael - 53

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
My go to music is rock and blues but I have four George Michael albums and thought that he had a wonderfully versatile voice that could cross musical barriers. I wasn't a big fan of his up tempo disco pop offerings but he could deliver a beautiful ballad and his performance with Queen of Somebody to Love was truly epic. A wonderful tribute to Freddy Mercury that very few singers could've pulled off.

It is sad that in recent years he became better known for some eccentric behaviour when we should remember him for some memorable songwriting, his wonderful voice and massive talent.

Another musical hero taken far too soon.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
calpark46 said:
My go to music is rock and blues but I have four George Michael albums and thought that he had a wonderfully versatile voice that could cross musical barriers. I wasn't a big fan of his up tempo disco pop offerings but he could deliver a beautiful ballad and his performance with Queen of Somebody to Love was truly epic. A wonderful tribute to Freddy Mercury that very few singers could've pulled off.

It is sad that in recent years he became better known for some eccentric behaviour when we should remember him for some memorable songwriting, his wonderful voice and massive talent.

Another musical hero taken far too soon.
You have said it pretty much all. Its been a bad year.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Everyone in our house is stunned to hear this very sad news - R.I.P George.

Me and my wife grew up with him, and one of his albums is one of my all time favorites that I play often. His death is hard to comprehend. Same age as me too - that's just too young in anybody's book.

D

Deleted member 108165

Bloody sad. Waay too young. Down to earth straight-talking guy. I liked all his output regardless of genre. RIP George, you will be sadly missed my son.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
sad, was it aids related ?

'After years of refusing to be drawn on speculation about his sexuality, Michael disclosed he was homosexual in 1998 after being was arrested in a public toilet in Beverly Hills, California, for engaging in a lewd act.'

still a shame .... and he was still youngish too (I too am53 yrs old)

'he criticises Rupert Murdoch, he calls him "the devil"; when he falls out with his record company, he goes on strike; and when he finally tells the world about his sexuality in 1998, it is via a public toilet, humiliating arrest and the most conspicuous outing ever.

Let's not forget the music. Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou was born in 1963 to a Greek Cypriot restaurateur father and an English dancer mother. He grew up in north London, close to where he lives today. Michael emerged in 1982 as the sexier half of pop duo Wham! – with big hair, fake tan, great loopy earrings and a shuttlecock down his shorts, he had a sexuality that appealed equally to girls and boys. Wham! had a series of huge hits, including Club Tropicana, Young Guns (Go For It) and Wham Rap! (Enjoy What You Do?), but by 1986 they had split up. And that should have been that. Only Michael went solo, and became even bigger. The cheesy, hedonistic disco morphed into melancholy smoocheramas (Careless Whisper, his first solo hit, reached number one in 1984), soulful ballads (Father Figure, Jesus To A Child) and white funk classics (Faith, I Want Your Sex).

Even when he was struck by disaster, he turned it to his advantage. In 1998, he was arrested for "engaging in a lewd act" after a sting by the Beverly Hills cops, and sentenced to 80 hours of community service. It would have extinguished most careers, but Michael went on television, explained himself in a brilliantly unapologetic TV interview, and wrote Outside, a cheeky song about al fresco sex – "I'd service the community, but I already have"; the video featured urinals with silver disco balls and kissing policemen.'

It's still a shame though being not old and having passed-away, may his soul, rest in peace.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Gray said:
You have to wonder what its last six days could bring.
That's been my intended reply to any comments on how bad this year has been.

Despite growing up with his music, I'm not a massive George Michael fan, although his album Older is a very mature and accomplished album in comparison to much of what he is famous for, and my favourite album of his, which will cost me even more to pick up on vinyl now!

You expect to hear about the odd loss where and there I'd the more elderly artists/celebrities, but you don't expect to be reading it about artists in their early 50s. No pun intended, but I did think he was older...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Can't believe how many icons have gone this year. This sounds appalling but there's been so many I've almost grown impassive to hearing news of yet another.

RIP George, great talent gone way too soon.

insider9

Read about it last night. Earlier in the day I went through "drama" of spilling a glass of red wine over bright carpet and almost into surge protector where all my hifi is connected to... suddenly it all felt so trivial

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Really sad news and so young. My wife is a big fan and is very upset. I was not a fan however we have lost a lot of talented people this year. We have also lost close friends and neighbours this year so will be glad to see the back of it.

Him upstairs must've had a big birthday comming up or something....he's having one heck of a gig up there.Bowie,Lemmy,Prince,Cohen,Rick Parfitt and now George Michael.please leave some for us mortals.r.i.p George you were a very talented guy whom always seemed quite down to earth apart from some unwise decisions along the way.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
My goodness what a ghastly year.

I was very saddened to see the news this morning, I consider myself a fan and although I haven't listened to any of his work for a while it has been part of the soundtrack of my life, such a great voice.

I think I'll listen to Older in a bit.

RIP George

insider9 said:
Read about it last night. Earlier in the day I went through "drama" of spilling a glass of red wine over bright carpet and almost into surge protector where all my hifi is connected to... suddenly it all felt so trivial
Very good point, well made. Easy to get bothered by minor matters when our health is what really matters. As we both have ailing parents currently, it is good to value what we have.

It does seem to have been a bumper year for famous deaths, if that's not too crass a way to put it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts