Richer Sounds so called expert advice.........

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Having concluded I want a 32' LCD I went to my local RS store to see the What H Fi favourites Sony KDL-32P3020 and Panasonic TX-LMD70, both advertised on RS website.

I told the sales guy what I wanted and why (i.e. had read about these two sets in What Hi Fi) and he told me that both sets were both old and 'very overpriced'. I asked what he suggested and he took me to the LG32LB75 telling me LG make all the panels for the other sets and that this model was 100hz.

I could have left with an LG, thinking it was 100hz and that its panel was the same as the Sony and the Panasonic, and that it was a newer set. Is this really 'Expert Advice'??

In the end I left empty handed, I had money in my pocket, and had the salesman asked me questions and shown me what I came in for I would have bought a TV. Instead I got the overwhelming impression there was only one TV worth buying unless I was mad.

Next time I wont ask.

Oh well!

A

Anonymous

This is why it is important to do your home work before you go into the shop. Which fortunately you did.

They've probably got a stack of LG's they can't shift.

A

Anonymous

Which particular Richer Sounds store was this? This sales matey really sounds like a prat. I mean, the LG is a fairly decent tv, but it just ain't up to the standard of the Sony or the Panasonic, even though the latter has been around for quite a while. And as for the thing about LG making the panels for all the others, including the Panny and Sony - absolute BS! Panasonic make their own panels, and Sony's are made by Samsung.

Sales-people, by definition, have their own agenda. Like the very annoyed dude said, it's very fortunate that you read What Hi-Fi first. I reckon it's good to look round many different shops, having demos and talking to the people in the shops - taking their 'advice' with quite a big pinch of salt, of course, and just not caring about "wasting sales-peoples time". Don't ever let a sales-person rush you into buying anything. I have had these people trying to rush me and it really does annoy me.

Anyway, if I was in the market for a 32" tv and hadn't read the 32" group test in What Hi-Fi, I still wouldn't have bought that LG 'cos it looks bloody ridiculous with that weird red object stuck to the bottom of it. Design art - yeah, alright mate...

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
I went into the Leicester store looking to buy a Panasonic LXD700 or maybe the Sony and was told by a very OTT sales person the Sharp Aquos is a much better tv, unlucky for him I do a lot of research before I buy so needless to say I walked out with nothing.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I think those sales people that you have come accross had one thing in mind and it was not your future happiness with you TV. COMMISSION!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

FYI I got exactly the same hard sell on the LG 37" in the RS Prestwich shop. I work in the business and can tell you that LG give the best dealer margin! Tehir 37" LCD sets arent even in the same league as the Pannasonic stuff!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
You must all rember the RS is a bussiness and they are not there for their health but to make as much profit as possible but if their sales team are not listening to what hteir potential punters are asking for then it will ultimatly be RS that pay the price as the punters will use their feet and spend their hard earned elsewhere.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Not fair to say which store it was i dont think, as i may have just caught them on a bad day.

I have no problem with stores trying to earn a decent profit, but it would have been nice to have been given the correct information (the LG is not 100hz is it?) and to at least have been shown the sets I drove there to see.

If they cant give 'Expert Advice' they shouldnt really advertise that they do.

The bloke should have at least spoke to me for more than 5 seconds to see if i had any clue before he starting lying to me (strong word i know, but he must have known he was) as from that point on I was never going to buy anything form them (and have always bought from them before). And i am a reasonable person.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="kitkat"]I went into the Leicester store looking to buy a Panasonic LXD700 or
maybe the Sony and was told by a very OTT sales person the Sharp Aquos
is a much better tv, unlucky for him I do a lot of research before I
buy so needless to say I walked out with nothing.[/quote]

It's odd, alot of sales people seem to be under the impression that Sharp makes excellent LCD tv's. I work in a electronics store (on the tv/hifi department) and most of my colleagues are sharp-fanboys. Why, I certainly don't know. Thankfully, I do look at items objectively instead of making presumptions about certain brands.

What Hifi did help in sobering out some of my collegueas though, after showing them a few reviews they started looking more objectively at a few models, and some were willing to admit that what What Hifi wrote was true.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]They probably get a bonus commission from Sharp when they sell a set. Totally legal too! (In vouchers possibly)[/quote]That is a very good point and goes on in almost all retail outlets nomater what they are selling. I buy and sell cars for a living and finance company often offer the incentives to sell their products with say vouchers for John Lewis for seling PPP etc.

Juzzie Wuzzie

I've always liked Richer Sounds - as a place to go in, tell them exactly what you want, buy it and walk out. It is not a place to listen to the "geezer" from behind the counter. For instance, last week I asked if they were selling the "receiver only" Onkyo V501 package. I was told that Onkyo themselves weren't even doing that. I suggested the guy might like to use the internet more often. Much like Selfridges electronics store as well.

Brentford Bob

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
It was Richer Sounds that told me several years ago that an Arcam Alpha 7 amp was upgradable at a later date to an amp with remote etc.

Needless to say, I bought it and then found it wasn't in the least bit upgradable!

I've always found that anything I've ever wanted from them was always out of stock too - and "we're not likely to get any more in".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts