Review your Xmas presents

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Let's hear your quick reviews or early impressions of your hifi related Christmas presents.

I'm really pleased with my 3 LED Hand-held magnifier - I should have got one years ago.

Not only can I now read the back of CD's (and in the dark) but it's now much easier to locate CD's in my CD racks/shelves *smile*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Let's hear your quick reviews or early impressions of your hifi related Christmas presents.

I'm really pleased with my 3 LED Hand-held magnifier - I should have got one years ago.

Not only can I now read the back of CD's (and in the dark) but it's now much easier to locate CD's in my CD racks/shelves *smile* 

I got a similar led lit large magnifier with a flexi arm and clamp.

Very useful for soldering.

drummerman said:
jonathanRD said:

Not only can I now read the back of CD's (and in the dark) but it's now much easier to locate CD's in my CD racks/shelves *smile*

I find a soldering iron more appropriate...... ;-)

D

Deleted member 2457

jonathanRD said:
Anyone else like to share their early review of their prezzies?
Got the Oppo 203 4k Blu ray player and love it. Got Star Trek and beyond 4k blu ray and don't really understand what's going on but the picture and sound is good. Got in the sales Lone Survivor and in the heart of the sea 4k blu rays and Lucy but haven't watch them yet.

insider9

Here's my review

Colour 9/10 (nice variety of colours and patters)

Comfort 8/10 (fits well and overall good fit)

Quality 8/10 (well made and warm enough)

Overal 10/10 (as I really wanted wanted socks and for her not to spend money when I'm looking at speakers upgrade)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Having added two Play 1's to the Play bar, loving the surround sound set up

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

I'm due to swap our dining and living rooms around and as part of the project I want to get a new TV. Apart from placement, I'm been thinking about what I might get to improve the sound and what may be possible for music duies. This could be a neat solution especially as my wife really likes the Play 1 (we have one in the kitchen) and she finds it easy to use.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
Overal 10/10 (as I really wanted wanted socks and for her not to spend money when I'm looking at speakers upgrade)

A good strategy that - I went without Christmas and Birthday presents for years, saving all the money for an amp upgrade. Remember to remind her that you only got socks for Christmas and how much money she saved *smile*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
jonathanRD said:

I find a soldering iron more appropriate...... ;-)
:)

jonathanRD said:
Anyone got something to review other than socks? - preferrably hifi related!
Not hardware, but I renewed my sub to Qobuz having tried Tidal for a month. Tidalwasn't bad, but less focussed on my preferred 'classical' music, and costlier. Couldn't say I detected any sq differences. I like being back with the French company. (Keeping company with the L'occitane smellies, also from France!)

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
jonathanRD said:
Anyone else like to share their early review of their prezzies?
Got the Oppo 203 4k Blu ray player and love it.  Got Star Trek and beyond 4k blu ray and don't really understand what's going on but the picture and sound is good.  Got in the sales Lone Survivor and in the heart of the sea 4k blu rays and Lucy but haven't watch them yet.  
well how does it compare to the panisonic and the Samsung

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Mrs Loop got me a Revo Superstation for my office. It's actually very good, very well designed and made, sounds great for what it is and has amazing connectivity to internet radio, spotify, DAB, FM, USB sticks and streaming. Initially, I couldn't get the streaming to work though. Revo recommended some Elgato software in their literature which turned out to be not easily available. I contacted them via email on Boxing day asking for an alternative suggestion and they replied back the same day! Their new suggestion 'FireStream', works very well and means I can now operate the entire unit from my iPhone using the Undok App.

Needless to say, I'm very impressed with the unit and moreso with Revo's stellar customer service.*good*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
jonathanRD said:
Not hardware, but I renewed my sub to Qobuz having tried Tidal for a month. Tidalwasn't bad, but less focussed on my preferred 'classical' music, and costlier. Couldn't say I detected any sq differences. I like being back with the French company. (Keeping company with the L'occitane smellies, also from France!)
I really like Qobuz. I signed up for a year's subscription two years ago but let it lapse last year. However, I missed it and am going to go ahead and subscribe again this year. If ever I'm after a Hi Res download, I always use Qobuz as the process is easy and the results very good.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Other than the MoFi Santana Abraxas to which I treated myself, I got a Dave Gilmour Live at The RAH DVD, but only dipped into it, as yet, but sounds promising; and a Lone Ranger Bluray, which we watched yesterday.

And a scarf and Toblerone. But no socks. Oh, nearly forgot the Barbour jacket bought while we were in Bakewell just before Christmas.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Have them for around a week now. Playing them with a bluesound powenode. Can't figure out the hype about these so far. Waiting for them to break in completely before I post my observations. But initial experience didn't blow me away, as I wanted it to. Now waiting for my marantz sr6011 to arrive on the 30th. So have two reviews on my hand now . A pretty good way to end a year I guess.

Infiniteloop said:
nopiano said:
jonathanRD said:
I really like Qobuz. I signed up for a year's subscription two years ago but let it lapse last year. However, I missed it and am going to go ahead and subscribe again this year. If ever I'm after a Hi Res download, I always use Qobuz as the process is easy and the results very good.
Nice to read you enjoy it too! I think it is still a bit of a sleeper here, with Spotify getting the lion's share of mentions. Gramophone magazine seems to rate it, and provides various playlists.

Matte

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Wife bought me one, not bad sound, improved a little with app with EQ settings.

Sensitive to placement, surface and location to walls. Not overly loud but a light, quite compact unit, easy to stick in the suitcase and is waterproof to certain limitations.

Nice packaging.

Non hifi related. Got an Euler's disk, which is a toy which shows the conservation of energy and other such scientificky' things. Check you tube for some vids. I love it. And a self inverting spinning top! Oh so easily pleased.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Got home from work tonight to a nice surprise!

My wife had ordered me an Amazon Echo for Christmas, but only turned up todaydot... very impressed.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My "Southern Belle" Texan wife bought me SHOE POLISH. Yup. Shoe polish.

I don't know if she's expecting her personal Black and White Minstrel Show or if she really wants my to play at being her "house [racially explicit word beginning with n deleted]".

I'm fuming.

jjbomber

Benedict_Arnold said:
My "Southern Belle" Texan wife bought me SHOE POLISH. Yup. Shoe polish.

I was expecting a review. What were the black levels like? Did your wife walk in unexpectedly and comment how much smoother the polish went on? Could you really see the improvements? We need to know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts