Replacing Dali Ikon 6 with smaller speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm wanting to make some changes to my existing set up - I have currently have the dali ikon 6 5.1 package, using ikon 5s as the rears. Following arrival of second child, I am wanting to replace my floor standers - idealy with a speaker I can mount on the wall via a bracket.

I'm planning to replace my centre Ikon Vokal, with a Dali Phantom Ikon Vokal, which I can place in the wall, but am struggling with how to replace my Ikon 6s and not lose any of the performance. I use them for movies and also for music, using the pre-out from my Onkyo 905 into my Roksan Kandy stereo amplifier.

Would the Dali Mentor Menuet be a good replacement or is this asking a little too much out this quite small speaker.

Alternatively, has anybody any better suggestions for what I could use

Thanks

Paul

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
You could opt for Ikon Phantom In-walls or Ikon On-walls and then upgrade the Ikon subwoofer to a higher quality unit? The Ikon 6's are lovely but the in-walls/ onwall maintain the tweeter so it is the bass you will miss. The Menuet's are great and you could use them as a step up but once again you will need a better sub.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Nick,

the in-wall for my centre is fine, I can't use the on walls as my fronts as due to curtains I have no space on the back wall to place them (it's a wall full of windows - my projector screen drops down in front). I was planning therefore to place on side wall as close to the back wall as I can. Are you saying the Menuets are a step up from the Ikon 6 or from the on-wall. I can appreciate that I will lose some bass downsizing - I didn't realise that the Ikon sub was weak? Using the Menuets, would you recommend using the sub with music - this isn't something I particularly wanted to do - now I only use my sub with movies. Would using the bigger Ikon 2 get around the lack of bass issue - might look a bit odd something so big mounted on the wall? Can the Ikon 2 be wall mounted with a bracket or is better on stands (which won't solve my issue)?

Cheers

Paul

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi the Menuets are a step up from the Ikon range,you would notice a huge difference in the detail over the Ikon ( any model ). Without in walls they may be the best option . The Ikon 1,2 and on-wall all hang on the way with a single screw but as you say the 1 or 2 may be too big.
You will suffer a good level of bass loss moving from the 6 as well as that effortless sound they deliver. The Menuets would help retain the high quality but I would think a sub would be a wise move. Start with the Ikon sub and move on from there if your room needs it.

TRENDING THREADS