Rega TT Power Supply

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have a Rega P3-24 turntable and was thinking of adding their TT PSU as an upgrade. Does anyone have any experience of this? Is there a discernable difference in sound quality (that's worth £150!)?

Cheers

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Every turntable needs a dedicated power supply to sound its best. Supplying the motor with a stable mains frequency should yield benefits in timing, bass, soundstage, cleaner treble and so on. The fact that this kind of improvement to a TT performance can't be gained any other way shouldn't be ignored, and £150 is very good value.

Just out of curiousity, what sorts of music do you listen to on LP?

A

Anonymous

Many thanks Tear Drop - I'm very pleased with the P3, and would like to squeeze as much performance out of it as possible...

I listen to a lot of stuff on vinyl - whatever I can pick up really. The last two LPs I bought were the soundtrack to Bullitt by Lalo Schifrin, and The World of Arthur Russell.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
The reason I ask is because if you have any piano music then this will be the best way to gauge the improvements made by adding a power supply. TTs are superior in almost every respect to CD players in terms of real world music reproduction except for pitch stability, and this is most audible with piano. So if you can do a 'before and after' with some piano music you will really be able to hear if the Rega PSU is a worthwhile upgrade.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
A second possibility is the Groovetracer sub platter assembly. In effect it takes the plastic subplatter of the P3-24 out and replaces it with something more akin to the P7's sub platter. I use one on my 25 and it had as big, if not bigger effect than a Project speedbox SE.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I've got one. I'd say it improves the P3-24 by 100%. In fact I'd rather use a P3-24 with a TTPSU than a P5 without one. Does that help? (PS I've also got a P7!). At £145 it's a no-brainer.

A

Anonymous

Tear Drop:. TTs are superior in almost every respect to CD players in terms of real world music reproduction except for pitch stability,

There's a lot of truth in that. I've had one very highly respected, and very expensive, t/t at home for a few weeks in the past and knew early on that it had problems with pitch/timing, even though 'timing' is supposed to be a strong point! The latest Regas seem to have licked this problem.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks everyone for your replies - I think I'll go and investigate this weekend.

TRENDING THREADS