Rega Saturn-R for classical?

goldiver

May 18, 2024
Visit site
Hi folks,

I wonder if any of you familiar with the 'Mk 2' Rega Saturn-R would recommend it for classical music and acoustic genres in general?

I know it has plenty of PRAT by reputation: does this translate to realistic transients with solo piano, violin etc? Or is the attack unnatural in its quickness?

I suppose my question applies to the new Mk 3 version too, although I haven't found any reports comparing sound quality between the Mk 2 and 3.

Any feedback would be very welcome!

Last edited:

abacus

How it interacts with the speakers is more important, as no matter the music if badly matched it will never sound good on anything.
Go to a dealer and try it out with various (And your own speakers) to see if it suits you, as everybody hears differently, thus making their observations only suitable to shortlist equipment, NOT how it will sound for you.

Bill

Reactions: DougK1

goldiver

May 18, 2024
Visit site
I appreciate the replies so far. I guess I'm trying to ascertain how realistic piano music sounds via the Saturn-R. We've all heard that metallic "ping" when a treble note is reproduced by an average digital source....

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi folks,

I wonder if any of you familiar with the 'Mk 2' Rega Saturn-R would recommend it for classical music and acoustic genres in general?

I know it has plenty of PRAT by reputation: does this translate to realistic transients with solo piano, violin etc? Or is the attack unnatural in its quickness?

I suppose my question applies to the new Mk 3 version too, although I haven't found any reports comparing sound quality between the Mk 2 and 3.

Any feedback would be very welcome!
Hi Saturn mk2 and mk3 are very neutral and universal players. They have both very high resolution. I have used Saturn mk1 and Jupiter 2000 (topmodel before Saturn) for 14-15 years. I have later tried Dac from Electrocompanient and used Rega only as CD mechanic. Dac in Rega was better hands down. They are also very reliable. And I recommend to pair Saturn CD with Rega Elicit, either Elicit-R or new Elicit mk5. They are genial as a combination. Than some Q Acoustics, Proac, Neat, Rega, Triangle, Focal, Dynaudio etc. speakers and you have an excellent balanced system. BR.

I appreciate the replies so far. I guess I'm trying to ascertain how realistic piano music sounds via the Saturn-R. We've all heard that metallic "ping" when a treble note is reproduced by an average digital source....
I had two Linn streamers with very similar Wolfson DACs and I think they were excellent. I was very close to getting a Saturn at one point, because I wanted a top loader, but changed tack and got my Tascam.

I cannot imagine you not enjoying unless the rest of your system is hypersensitive to that ‘ping’ you describe. That said, sit near the front in a piano recital and you’ll hear a lot more than pinging!!

goldiver

May 18, 2024
Visit site
I really do appreciate all the replies. Regarding timing and attack, in my experience both CD spinners and amplifiers handle this differently. Amps with fast slew rates can be rather hyperactive in their attack (Densen comes to mind), while a Cyrus CD player sounds faster than an Accuphase, NAD, or a Marantz prior to their HDAM technology. Indeed, the original Rega Saturn (which I owned) was no slouch. Hence my question about the Mk 2 & 3 versions. I'd love to hear from an owner / former owner of these two particular models.

Last edited:
I really do appreciate all the replies. Regarding timing and attack, in my experience both CD spinners and amplifiers handle this differently. Amps with fast slew rates can be rather hyperactive in their attack (Densen comes to mind), while a Cyrus CD player sounds faster than an Accuphase, NAD, or a Marantz prior to their HDAM technology. Indeed, the original Rega Saturn (which I owned) was no slouch. Hence my question about the Mk 2 & 3 versions. I'd love to hear from an owner / former owner of these two particular models.
Having demoed the Rega Apollo, it's good for any genre of music.

Any half decent component will sound good regardless of style.

The amount of times I've read: "Harbeth speakers excel with classical and Jazz", yet when I home demoed them for a fortnight, they sounded equally as good with any music, assuming it synergises with the rest of your system.

Reactions: Al ears

daytona600

Apollo-R. Transport / Internals /chipsets are all bought in from OEMs ( original equipment manufacturer ).
If you are buying a CD player , make sure Supplier builds CD players in house , or 3rd party sourced from OEMs they buy in 15/20 years worth of spare parts for repairs or you will have a expensive paperweight

Reactions: Al ears
I can understand your request but even if the owners of said CD player say one thing about it it is quite common for them to be biased because they own it, it's quite possible your hearing will be completely different to theirs. The only way to establish if it is suitable for you is to find one to audition.

tsaoandy

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Speakers should have more impact on the characteristics you are describing (in my opinion) Rega makes great amp, it’s a combination thing rather an amp question. I’m using Naim which is also famous for PRAT and people generally don’t think they are famous for classical music. I’m a classical trained violinist I can tell you it’s more than fine. I’d try Harbeth, Spendor or Graham speakers, thses are good brands for insightful listening, realistic timbre(piano and violin sound very realistic ) Because these brands focus on realism rather dynamics (doesn’t mean they don’t play loud) an energetic amp will make a good balance, as they tend to have softer or laid back presentation. Sonus Faber is another brand that does it really well, I like the dynaudio the (older ones) but they tend to sound better cranked up so it depends on your listening habit. Good luck

goldiver

May 18, 2024
Visit site
I have to tell you folks: I've never asked a question on a forum and received such irrelevant responses!

Not one relevant answer, from England the home of Rega!

I asked about the sound characteristics of a Saturn-R. From an owner, or former owner.

Nada.

Why go to the bother of replying?!

Last edited:

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I have to tell you folks: I've never asked a question on a forum and received such irrelevant responses!

I asked about the sound characteristics of a Saturn-R. From an owner, or former owner.

Nada.

I didn't (bother replying). :)

Reactions: Gray

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site

Nada.

You're so right on, and welcome. I suppose it is how so many get into their 1000s of contributions. Your comment may prove helpful, though we'd probably need much more feedback on írrelevance of this kind.

You should definitely expect excellent realistic piano and violin sounds which I can even count on from good recordings played through my modest equipment --with classical and otherwise.

Last edited:

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
You're so right on, and welcome. I suppose it is how so many get into their 1000s of contributions. Your comment may prove helpful, though we'd probably need much more feedback on írrelevance of this kind.
You are so wrong on many counts, and your criticism of members is grossly unfair. Many have been a member of this forum for many more years than you, just take a look at their joining dates! That is how they amass 1000s of contributions. You have been a member since last year!

WHF as a mag might be large in the industry but the forum is tiny in comparison. My estimation would be there are under 100 regularly active members on here and the chance of them having first hand knowledge of a specific piece of kit is slim unless they have actually owned the product.

At least the OP got some constructive comments. Would you rather we totally ignore new members?

Din5

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site

Nada.

Why not join one of the Rega Owner Groups on Facebook. I'm pretty sure they will be able to help....

Reactions: twinkletoes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts