Rega Elicit R

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
Which Totems?

The ones WHFI tested with the Elicit are the Rainmakers. Ones I've heard with the Pulse are the Arros.

Thanks, Totems are meant to good, I would have liked to have tried the Rainmakers/Dreamcatchers but no dealer around me stocks them. As imports from Canada probably a bit expensive compared to UK ones which are a similar size.

Audio-T stock certain Totem models (think that is branch dependent)

They are moooOOOooosively good, especially the way they image. So darn musical. Fabulous.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
Heard the Dreamcatchers with a Brio R - lovely sounding and great imaging & soundstage!

So wonderful you buy.... Regas. ;)

yes because in my set up the RS3 were the better match as I have a Rega Vox centre speaker and RS1 for rears!

If i had no speakers i actually would of given the Arros serious consideration!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
i know Totem speakers kick ass, they are lovely sounding & musical - reminiscent of Rega - the dreamcatcher loose it a bit on bass but it a standmount but I would say very similar to RS1......

im my opinion of course!

plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
Just in case there's people not received the August edition, I won't spoil it but...

It seems, despite not hearing it, I know this amp already. Certainly the first test is almost a mirror image of the Pulse with description such as "slight leanness, and a hint of brightness to the treble...". What adds weight is the fact WHFI have chosen the Naim CD5si and Totem speakers as an ideal match. That sounds familiar.

Spooky.

Hi plastic penguin

I've used pre amp of the Elicit-R with ATC's SCM100ASL Profesional monitors and i've not come across a slight leaness or a hint of brightness.

Anyway onto test the Elicit-R's power amp next using an SCA2 pre amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Not saying it has leanness, just conveying what WHFI review said. They also said the Pulse is lean but I've not come across this in the 3 years I've owned it.

Hi plastic ppenguin

I wasn't aware that WHF had also reviewed the Elicit-R.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Yip - the August edition. Compare the two aforementioned amps reviews and they are eerily similar. As I put in my original post they've paired the Elicit with Naim CD5si and Totem speakers. Coincidentally, I 'have the CD5i-2 and have heard the Pulse with Totem speakers. In my own strange way I thought it was interesting....

Hi plastic penguin

Thanks. I've now read WHF's review of the Elicit-R
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
Just in case there's people not received the August edition, I won't spoil it but...

It seems, despite not hearing it, I know this amp already. Certainly the first test is almost a mirror image of the Pulse with description such as "slight leanness, and a hint of brightness to the treble...". What adds weight is the fact WHFI have chosen the Naim CD5si and Totem speakers as an ideal match. That sounds familiar.

Spooky.

Hi plastic penguin

I've used pre amp of the Elicit-R with ATC's SCM100ASL Profesional monitors and i've not come across a slight leaness or a hint of brightness.

Anyway onto test the Elicit-R's power amp next using an SCA2 pre amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Not saying it has leanness, just conveying what WHFI review said. They also said the Pulse is lean but I've not come across this in the 3 years I've owned it.

Hi plastic ppenguin

I wasn't aware that WHF had also reviewed the Elicit-R.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Yip - the August edition. Compare the two aforementioned amps reviews and they are eerily similar. As I put in my original post they've paired the Elicit with Naim CD5si and Totem speakers. Coincidentally, I 'have the CD5i-2 and have heard the Pulse with Totem speakers. In my own strange way I thought it was interesting....

Hi plastic penguin

Thanks. I've now read WHF's review of the Elicit-R
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

S'okay. :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
Stevebrock

Sorry if I've asked you this before, but how are you getting on with the subplatter on the RP6? Was it worth getting?

Yes!

The noise floor has gone, can hardly hear pops and crackles - god knows how it works but it does - i guess it is more stable & damped compared to piece of plastic rubbish they put on it!

Music sounds more lively!

BTW had my DAC on today for the first time in ages - really gobsmacked how close it sounds to vinyl - it really is that good on some music!

Of the good sounding ALAC files I have, if all my CDs sounded as good as they do then I would not of gone vinyl - but 75% of my ALAC files sounds compressed with no dynamaics

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Steve - sounds like a great incestment, though I'm a bit wary of getting the original bearing out.....

Just read the WHF Elicit review - extremely positive and bears out my findings about the midrange/upper detail and revealing nature of the amp.

Now for a review of the Aria.

Larry

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the Rega Brio-R and is very happy with it, but of cause it has its limitations, so I´m very curious about the Elicit-R. So my questions is, do any of you think the Elicit-R would be good with my Dynaudio Focus 140 speakers (airy, smooth and (maybe) slow) and the Nordost Blue Heaven Leif Series speaker cables ( very fast, detailed and somewhat analytical ) + Blue Heaven USB cable on my Calyx DAC (smooth) ? After I changes to Nordost cables I got a heck lot more detail and better soundstage, but I feel that Brio-R is the one part giving the system some warmth. I´m not into super neutral, so I´m afraid to get that with Elicit-R :?. Some guy mention the amp is smooth when he heard it, but WHF say it had a hint of brightness in treble in their setup, so system matching is super important. Does Elicit-R still have a small amount of warmth ??

( By the way I sold my Musical Fidelity M3i amp at twice the price when I got the Brio-R, because it was too airy, lost grip of bass and had no real foundation in my setup. So I know what a better amp can give you in matters of detail, soundstage and transparency)

@ Larry

Due to the Elicit-R being a new release, few people have actually heard it in detail. Pretty sure it'll be a good upgrade on your Brio but whether it'll give you the sound you're looking for is another question. You'll need to dem the two and decide for yourself.

Larry

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I know I know, I´m just impatient :cheer: . I live in Denmark, so maybe we´ll get the Elicit-R some time later than you guys.

Larry said:
I know I know, I´m just impatient :cheer: . I live in Denmark, so maybe we´ll get the Elicit-R some time later than you guys.

Hi Larry

As i said earlier I've used the pre amp of Elicit-R with ATC's SCM100ASL Profesional monitors and i've not come across a slight leaness or a hint of brightness.

As good as the Brio-R is however one of the areas the Focus 140's will benefit from is Elicit-R's greater quality of power which will enable the Elicit-R to grip, drive, energise and offer even better stability at almost any comparable listening level.

Fwiw, over the last few years Rega have released excellent products such as the RP1, DAC, Brio R, Apollo-R, RP3, etc. however i've found the Elicit-R to be the most enjoyable. Even at £1598 i feel the Elicit-R is Rega's finest VFM product relased over the last three years.

I think you'll find the Elicit-R will be worth the wait. The Elicit-R has soul.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Larry said:
I have the Rega Brio-R and is very happy with it, but of cause it has its limitations, so I´m very curious about the Elicit-R. So my questions is, do any of you think the Elicit-R would be good with my Dynaudio Focus 140 speakers (airy, smooth and (maybe) slow) and the Nordost Blue Heaven Leif Series speaker cables ( very fast, detailed and somewhat analytical ) + Blue Heaven USB cable on my Calyx DAC (smooth) ? After I changes to Nordost cables I got a heck lot more detail and better soundstage, but I feel that Brio-R is the one part giving the system some warmth. I´m not into super neutral, so I´m afraid to get that with Elicit-R :?. Some guy mention the amp is smooth when he heard it, but WHF say it had a hint of brightness in treble in their setup, so system matching is super important. Does Elicit-R still have a small amount of warmth ??

( By the way I sold my Musical Fidelity M3i amp at twice the price when I got the Brio-R, because it was too airy, lost grip of bass and had no real foundation in my setup. So I know what a better amp can give you in matters of detail, soundstage and transparency)

How the Brio R handle your Focus 140, as they are more difficult to drive that my Excite X12?

I love my combo, the Brio R is a magnificent amp, it offers alot for the price, but i think my Dyns will benefit with the double the power as your's Focus as well! For instance imaging will be much better and I want to witness the fading act that the Dyns do so well!

I'm waiting on my Rega Dealer to receave the first Elicit R to demo it with my Dyns, so I think PP advice is the best one!

:cheers:

Larry

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys for the answers. My Dyn 140 and Rega Brio-R is my desktop setup, so I only listen on low to moderate levels. When I turn up the volume quite a bit the big bass of the 140 starts to kick in, but with the Nordost cables everything is fast, tight and for the most part under control. The only thing I miss from my old Musical Fidelity m3i amp is the bigger soundstage and the more transparant og detailed midrange. So I hope the Elicit-R would bring that back and of cause full control over the speakers. Just saw a danish shop announce that the Elicit-R will be in the shop in 10 days, so I plan to hear it soon :pray: .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Larry said:
Thanks guys for the answers. My Dyn 140 and Rega Brio-R is my desktop setup, so I only listen on low to moderate levels. When I turn up the volume quite a bit the big bass of the 140 starts to kick in, but with the Nordost cables everything is fast, tight and for the most part under control. The only thing I miss from my old Musical Fidelity m3i amp is the bigger soundstage and the more transparant og detailed midrange. So I hope the Elicit-R would bring that back and of cause full control over the speakers. Just saw a danish shop announce that the Elicit-R will be in the shop in 10 days, so I plan to hear it soon :pray: .

If you are looking to spend that sort of money, you should imo check out Electrocompaniet ECI-3 or possibly PI-1.

Larry

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Thought they were warm sounding amps, but just read impression "Sound is a little on the bright side. If this doesn’t completely alienate you, there is a lot to enjoy in the rest of the ECI-3’s character, especially the way it deals with detail. Precise, but not clinical, sums it up."

Maybe too cold for my taste, will research more ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Larry said:
Thought they were warm sounding amps, but just read impression "Sound is a little on the bright side. If this doesn’t completely alienate you, there is a lot to enjoy in the rest of the ECI-3’s character, especially the way it deals with detail. Precise, but not clinical, sums it up."

IMO. There is nothing bright or cold about the ECI-3, but it's worth a listen to check for yourself.

This is more what I found: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/amplifiers/electrocompaniet-eci-3-618281/review

Larry said:

Which other brands can you audition locally?

Larry

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Well I live in Copenhagen so I have some hi-fi stores around, but I have really only thought about that the Elicit-R, the new Naim nait XS 2 and Heed Obelisk could be an option....or maybe an used amp from higher up. Saw an used Audia Flight one III today at 1395 £, but it´s located in the other part of the country so wouldn´t travel after an audition.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts