Rega Elicit R

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Had a call today, the Elicit R is now on demo - think I might make the trip tomorrow to Nottingham on the train (nearest Rega dealer to me).

I am quite interested in the phono stage part as heard Rega have made improvements to it so it should be better than the Brio R phono stage!

Excited!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
We've been running ours in with a pair of Spendor D7's since Monday - very impressive so far. Quite a weighty unit, and build quality is excellent. It'll be interesting to pitch it against the new Naim Nait XS2 once it arrives.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Had a call today, the Elicit R is now on demo - think I might make the trip tomorrow to Nottingham on the train (nearest Rega dealer to me).

I am quite interested in the phono stage part as heard Rega have made improvements to it so it should be better than the Brio R phono stage!

Excited!

I thought you were not going to buy it?

empacher

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
We've been running ours in with a pair of Spendor D7's since Monday - very impressive so far. Quite a weighty unit, and build quality is excellent. It'll be interesting to pitch it against the new Naim Nait XS2 once it arrives.

David - any other impressions you can share? understand it is still breaking in but how is it stacking up to other comparable amps that you are familiar with? thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

Excited!

Hang on! How do you compare phono stages when one amp costs £500 and the t'other is £1500?

Amps don't make a difference do they :grin: :p :roll:

(why are some smileys showing properly and some not?)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
empacher said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

David - any other impressions you can share? understand it is still breaking in but how is it stacking up to other comparable amps that you are familiar with? thanks

Not at the moment. We've been running it in in the room where we've been running in the D7's for the past three weeks or so. They've been running in on various Naim bits (Uniti2, NAC-N172/NAP155, UnitiLite, Nait XS, Nait 5i etc, depending on what is plugged in at the time), so I can only compare to the Naim XS type sound. I haven't heard it with vinyl yet.

As I say, the main comparison I want to make is against the Nait XS. I know this doesn't have a phono stage, but its a similar priced amp, and for me is one of the better sounding ones under £2,000. When I get a chance, I'll be popping the R500's on it and comparing it to the Nait XS2 when that turns up in a few weeks time. If I get a chance, I'll try and compare it to the current Nait XS.

spockfish said:
Can't wait to hear it. Our prime-minister wants me to spend money to gear-up the economy. So.... :D

Hi spockfish

:grin:

Anyway, i think you'll be impressed with the delivery of the Elicit-R particularly with your speakers as the Elicit-R will grip, drive and energise the 752's far more effectively
smiley-smile.gif
Fwiw, its been a week since i used the Brio-R.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

David@FrankHarvey said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

Excited!

Hang on! How do you compare phono stages when one amp costs £500 and the t'other is £1500?

Amps don't make a difference do they :grin: :p :roll:

(why are some smileys showing properly and some not?)

They do when burn-in properly and with the right cables. :twisted:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
What am I thinking - Listening to Thriller on my RP6 - Billie Jean just sounds fantastic............

Do I actually need a new amp? NO

Do I need a phono stage? NO

I need to buy her some Agent Provocateur undies first - so its not all bad!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
In all seriousness in the grand scheme of things - if I was spending £1500 on an amp I would be foolish not to listen to the likes of a Nait XS, Leema Elements, Electro.....

stevebrock said:
In all seriousness in the grand scheme of things - if I was spending £1500 on an amp I would be foolish not to listen to the likes of a Nait XS, Leema Elements, Electro.....

TBH I've been taking the'rise' a little, but you have been doing a lot of tweaking - the next step is to become a serial Horlicks drinker - and you're happy with your bundles, so why upset the status quo (or Thin Lizzy...). It's like me saying I'll go and audition a Tucana. Not much point when there's no serious desire to change. Just enjoy. :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

TBH I've been taking the'rise' a little, but you have been doing a lot of tweaking - the next step is to become a serial Horlicks drinker - and you're happy with your bundles, so why upset the status quo (or Thin Lizzy...). It's like me saying I'll go and audition a Tucana. Not much point when there's no serious desire to change. Just enjoy. :)

Your are right PP

The RS3 was the icing on the cake & my last big purchase - BTW they are getting better - love 'em.

Think its just out of curiousity and becasue I am a very unlikely Rega fan as I always dismissed Rega purely on the quirky looks - until the Brio R caught my attention!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well everything Rick@musiccraft has said about the Elicit R is spot on!

It really is a big authorative sound, Listened to an RP6/Exact throgh it with RS5 speakers!

The soundstage was huge, so much clairty and depth - it was simply stunning!

It was incredibly involving and actually made my hairs on my arms stand up.

Do I want one? YES

Can i afford one? NO

An hour later my missus came in to collect me to go and purchase some new Shoes.....she is a happy bunny tonight as she has gone out in them, kids gone to the parents - so a night in with a bottle of Rioja and put some records on! My Brio R is a cracking little amp still - love it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts