Rega Elicit R

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
You aren't condoning the idea that amps should sound different surely?
In many ways, I suppose they shouldn't. But they do.

The ideal (as I understand it) is that more money buys more power, better longevity/reliability, better build quality, lower distortion and closer component tolerances etc. but not fundamentally different characteristics in terms of sound.

I would hope that more expensive amps converge to an ideal (rather than diverge because of added 'seasoning').
The presentation of more 'expensive' amplification is just as diverse as the budget amplifier arena. I would say that this goes to show that the differences between amplifiers is partly down to the way manufacturers do things, but also the way they want them to sound - rather than because their abilities are being stretched, as some state.

There should only be a Rizla paper between the sound of two very expensive amps because the two manufacturers can demonstrate that they understand how to get as close to that 'ideal' as possible.
True. I'm sure all manufacturers try and extract the maximum amount of detail from the source for your listening pleasure - then it is just down to how they want to present it to you.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
drummerman said:
Would also like to see a before/after of a record cleaning machine.

regards

My local second-hand record shop (I used it until I gave up vinyl a couple of years ago) has a twin deck Keith Monks cleaner (regularly replenished and maintained by KM themselves as they are local too).

I always had any purchases cleaned before leaving the shop (£2 an LP at the time with a brand new anti-stat sleeve thrown in).

I also used to take in any brand new LPs to have them cleaned before playing them.

The main difference was that I never experienced any static from the cleaned LPs. (Even after many plays.) In terms of appearance I would get rainbow colour reflections off the surfaces when moving the LP around near a light or a window. Before cleaning this rarely happened and the LP would look dull (even new ones).

I don't know about 'before and after' affects on sound quality because I never played a record until it had been cleaned.

The (very) few records that had any unwanted noises after cleaning were taken back. I didn't tolerate pops or clicks.

Saw your post, wanted to reply ... and then forgot. - Old age and all that.

It seems expensive but then good quality sleeves are at least 20 to 30p/pc.

I just wonder if one of these expensive machines can do a better job than me.

I'll get in contact with Movement Audio and see if they have one ...

regards

NHL said:
HiFi Choice August will review it!

Hi NHL

I am sure that they'll also like the Elicit-R
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Just in case there's people not received the August edition, I won't spoil it but...

It seems, despite not hearing it, I know this amp already. Certainly the first test is almost a mirror image of the Pulse with description such as "slight leanness, and a hint of brightness to the treble...". What adds weight is the fact WHFI have chosen the Naim CD5si and Totem speakers as an ideal match. That sounds familiar.

Spooky.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't know the Leema Pulse but I've been listening to the Elicit-R for the past day or so.

It certainly reflects the sound of the input source - so the attributes mentioned could be as much the CD player as the amp. Anyway it's a very informative and enjoyable amp - really a very smooth & sophisticated Brio-R with a lot more power! I'd say it takes what's good about the Roksan Caspian M2 and adds a more insightful midrange - possibly at the expense of a little bass tightness, though the bass is always available. Could be my 15 yr old speakers.

Not sure I can get to grips with the volume steps though. There's an explanation of that in the manual but I didn't really get it.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Oddly enough Jerry, I was about to post something similar today.

I had a listen to a various Boards Of Canada tracks yesterday, and did notice that bass was a little over warm, possibly due to a little bit of looseness in the bass. Having said that, I have only heard it with the Spendor D7's and ProAc D30R's so far, so it could be that these two speakers are just a little too much for it to control. Maybe D18's and A6r's are more its ideal limit - we'll see what I get to try other speakers out in due time.

plastic penguin said:
Just in case there's people not received the August edition, I won't spoil it but...

It seems, despite not hearing it, I know this amp already. Certainly the first test is almost a mirror image of the Pulse with description such as "slight leanness, and a hint of brightness to the treble...". What adds weight is the fact WHFI have chosen the Naim CD5si and Totem speakers as an ideal match. That sounds familiar.

Spooky.

Hi plastic penguin

I've used pre amp of the Elicit-R with ATC's SCM100ASL Profesional monitors and i've not come across a slight leaness or a hint of brightness.

Anyway onto test the Elicit-R's power amp next using an SCA2 pre amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Spooky.

Hi plastic penguin

I've used pre amp of the Elicit-R with ATC's SCM100ASL Profesional monitors and i've not come across a slight leaness or a hint of brightness.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Not saying it has leanness, just conveying what WHFI review said. They also said the Pulse is lean but I've not come across this in the 3 years I've owned it.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Spooky.

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Not saying it has leanness, just conveying what WHFI review said. They also said the Pulse is lean but I've not come across this in the 3 years I've owned it.

Ignore the review - go listen yourself!

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Spooky.

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Go listen yourself!

No need TBH.

WHFI wrote in the (Elicit) review: "This is one of the best stereo amps we've heard at this price..."

While the Pulse review ends by stating: "...look for sources and speakers that will complement its fleet-footed, detailed and dynamic sound, you can put a confident foot on the ladder out of the mainstream and into the exceptional."

All that for £750. :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Spooky.

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Go listen yourself!

No need TBH.

WHFI wrote in the (Elicit) review: "This is one of the best stereo amps we've heard at this price..."

While the Pulse review ends by stating: "...look for sources and speakers that will complement its fleet-footed, detailed and dynamic sound, you can put a confident foot on the ladder out of the mainstream and into the exceptional."

Yes but how many years ago was that, you know hifi changes almost overnight. :)

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Spooky.

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Go listen yourself!

No need TBH.

Yes but how many years ago was that, you know hifi changes almost overnight. :)

No it doesn't. Yes sure it was back in 2008 but it's still exceptional. Ah, and Leema have upgraded it for me, too. :)

Try and listen to one and you'll be surprised how good it is.

A

Anonymous

BigH said:
It does in WHF reviews, every year the award winners are better than last years. My previous comment was "tongue in cheek" but no symbol for that.

It made me chuckle

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
It does in WHF reviews, every year the award winners are better than last years. My previous comment was "tongue in cheek" but no symbol for that.

OT (sorry) but what happeneded to the system you had in your signature recently?

BigH said:
It does in WHF reviews, every year the award winners are better than last years.

That's their business. New equipement. Over the years myself and others have asked about 'Old' vs 'new' review, but have yet to hear a satisfactory reply.

As long as the Leema still keeps going it'll stay. I've not heard anything I prefer, without spending silly money.

plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Spooky.

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi plastic ppenguin

I wasn't aware that WHF had also reviewed the Elicit-R.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
It does in WHF reviews, every year the award winners are better than last years.

That's their business. New equipement. Over the years myself and others have asked about 'Old' vs 'new' review, but have yet to hear a satisfactory reply.

As long as the Leema still keeps going it'll stay. I've not heard anything I prefer, without spending silly money.

I wonder why. Their job is to promote new hifi. Years ago some mags used to do old v new. IMHO amps have not changed much in the last 20 years. I'm sure you are right to keep what you have, don't understand this contineous upgrading myself.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site

Yes it in the First Look section at the front, a whole page I think of the August 2013 issue when I quickly looked in Sainsbury earlier!

It is a very positive review!

I confess that I do actually want one

MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Spooky.

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi plastic ppenguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Yip - the August edition. Compare the two aforementioned amps reviews and they are eerily similar. As I put in my original post they've paired the Elicit with Naim CD5si and Totem speakers. Coincidentally, I 'have the CD5i-2 and have heard the Pulse with Totem speakers. In my own strange way I thought it was interesting....

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

I wonder why. Their job is to promote new hifi. Years ago some mags used to do old v new. IMHO amps have not changed much in the last 20 years. I'm sure you are right to keep what you have, don't understand this contineous upgrading myself.

Don't know, apart from some older kit can be difficult to source.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
Which Totems?

The ones WHFI tested with the Elicit are the Rainmakers. Ones I've heard with the Pulse are the Arros.

Thanks, Totems are meant to good, I would have liked to have tried the Rainmakers/Dreamcatchers but no dealer around me stocks them. As imports from Canada probably a bit expensive compared to UK ones which are a similar size.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts