Rega Elex R driving ATC SCM11 (new version)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
A friend of mine - is driving ATC SCM 19s with an Elicit R to great effect - check out his posts on the Rega FB page, Richard Plater is his name

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it's a pity, they are quiet hard to track down outside of the UK. Given the potential sale perhaps a dealer could accommodate a shipped home demo. Then again they're not the lightest speakers to be shipping around.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
A friend of mine - is driving ATC SCM 19s with an Elicit R to great effect - check out his posts on the Rega FB page, Richard Plater is his name

You quite often read about even the Brio r comfortably driving speakers it probably shouldn't be able to. Maybe Rega underrate the power of their amps. This is often said of Naim too and they are not entirely dissimilar.

ChrisIRL said:
stevebrock said:

You quite often read about even the Brio r comfortably driving speakers it probably shouldn't be able to. Maybe Rega underrate the power of their amps. This is often said of Naim too and they are not entirely dissimilar.

Do you? I've read many times about the Brio-R powering Totem speakers but ATC/Rega is a new one on me.

Romulus said:
Rick the HiFi dealer clearly confirms that the NAD C32BEE (power out put only 50 watts per channel) drives the SCM 11 (he does not specify which version?) and SCM 40 speakers without problems.

Hi Romulus

I've used the C325BEE with SCM7 MK2, SCM11 MK1, SCM19 MK1, SCM40 MK1 and now with the current (curved) SCM7 MK3, SCM11 MK2, SCM19 MK2 and SCM40 MK2 passive monitors.

We've also got some clients using Arcam Mini Solo with SCM40 MK1 passive monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Not specifically Rega/ATC but definitely I've read that in a number of reviews and forums. I'm not proposing that the Elex r is getting the best out of the SCM11s, but I think the SCM11s are so good they're probably getting the best out of the Elex r if that makes sense? I've never been so glued to any set up I've had. A couple of weeks ago I added an irdac to the system for purely practical reasons because it has plenty of inputs that I needed. Having used one in previous set ups I wasn't looking for a big sound improvement, but I knew it didn't do anything bad either. I was amazed at the unexpected improvement, it was like flicking a switch labelled "soundstage and detail". Again I put this down to the ATCs getting the best from the electronics.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
ChrisIRL said:
stevebrock said:

Do you? I've read many times about the Brio-R powering Totem speakers but ATC/Rega is a new one on me.

I presume you are refering to the Brio R PP ? The Elciit R has plenty of power on tap and is more than capable of drving the ATCs with excellent results !

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
Yeah it's a pity, they are quiet hard to track down outside of the UK. Given the potential sale perhaps a dealer could accommodate a shipped home demo. Then again they're not the lightest speakers to be shipping around. 
Northern Ireland is in the UK, but there are times when it doesn't feel like it.

curved SCM11 passive monitors - What Hi-Fi Awards 2015 winner for Best standmount loudspeakers £800 - £1200
thumbs_up.gif
WHF Award winners for three consecutive years
shades_smile.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

SteveR750

This thread highlights the difficulty in power matching, there isn't a simple rule other than you can't have too much power.

Any amp will pretty much drive any speakers, the critical question is how loud to you want to go? If it's just going to be background / low levels in a small room then a 50w amp would be adequate. However if you want stadium levels in a large room it won't. The reason atc speakers need a more powerful amp than most is because they are below average sensitivity, so they need plenty of volts to generate a high SPL. In simple terms, higher power rating means a higher voltage gain. They don't need huge current reserves as their impedance is relatively flat. What you don't want to do it try and achieve disco levels with your Rega, it would likely damage the speakers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
curved SCM11 passive monitors - What Hi-Fi Awards 2015 winner for Best standmount loudspeakers £800 - £1200 WHF Award winners for three consecutive years

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

You missed the Elex-R (best amp £700 - £1000).

Don't you sell that as well?

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
This thread highlights the difficulty in power matching, there isn't a simple rule other than you can't have too much power.

Any amp will pretty much drive any speakers, the critical question is how loud to you want to go? If it's just going to be background / low levels in a small room then a 50w amp would be adequate. However if you want stadium levels in a large room it won't. The reason atc speakers need a more powerful amp than most is because they are below average sensitivity, so they need plenty of volts to generate a high SPL. In simple terms, higher power rating means a higher voltage gain. They don't need huge current reserves as their impedance is relatively flat. What you don't want to do it try and achieve disco levels with your Rega, it would likely damage the speakers.

Thanks for advice but disco levels not required, or wanted for that matter. I value my hearing. With this combo so much detail and energy comes through at moderate volume you don't feel the need to crank it up anyway. I listen in a smallish room and with the volume dial at 10 o'clock position it fills the room. SCM11s have lovely dispersion, sound really travels from them, very generous sweet spot.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
MUSICRAFT said:
curved SCM11 passive monitors - What Hi-Fi Awards 2015 winner for Best standmount loudspeakers £800 - £1200 WHF Award winners for three consecutive years

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

You missed the Elex-R (best amp £700 - £1000).

Don't you sell that as well?

play nice Chebby pmsl

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
ChrisIRL said:
stevebrock said:

I presume you are refering to the Brio R PP ? The Elciit R has plenty of power on tap and is more than capable of drving the ATCs with excellent results !

Yup, I know. I heard the Elicit-R driving a pair of PMC 23s. Very good. But the Elex-R with ATCs for all formats and living with it on a daily basis? That'd be down to the OP to have a home dem and deciding.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
ChrisIRL said:
stevebrock said:

But the Elex-R with ATCs for all formats and living with it on a daily basis?

Why not? Check the "what is a powerful amp" thread. I see no issues here.

ChrisIRL said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
ChrisIRL said:
stevebrock said:

But the Elex-R with ATCs for all formats and living with it on a daily basis?

Why not? Check the "what is a powerful amp" thread. I see no issues here.

No reason why not, but given the Elex is borderline on paper, at least, and the ATCs not the most benevolent with lower powered amps, it's always best to try one at home.

When I use my TT the cartridge is a low MV and requires extra volume, as does the Blu-Ray player when played thru the amp (and my speakers are relatively easy to drive by comparison). There's no right or wrong solution: It's right if it gives you sufficient volume thru all formats and 'wrong' if it doesn't.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
What about SCM19 with the Elex-r, powerful enought? I will try to find an audition for this kind of money.. the new color satin black make it even more interesting. I'm seeking really good soundstage and more musicality compare to my other speakers.

Got the amp myself but It seems that it can't drive my biggest speakers Jbl studio 290 as I want when they make a loud click noise when I play with high volume but they do give me a nicer soundstage then my smaller Monitor audio bronze 2, I can also crack up a pair wharfedale diamond 155 with no noises.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Given those speakers have a spec of 91db/ 8ohm I can't imagine the Elex r having trouble driving them unless you're playing at extremely high volumes. What position is the volume dial at when you hear the clicks?

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
11 clock with no equalizer, for example at the beginning with this song https://open.spotify.com/track/4wpdef5ZvBxdtevmijrXHQ
when tested with my other amp Marantz pm6004 it punch same if not maybe slightly more with no noise, It seems that the noise appears when there is sudden "attack" in the sound at high volume?

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I seem to remember in the WHF review of the Naim Unitiqute which is only 40 watts per channel they drove all sorts of expensive speakers without any problem so I would think that that the Rega would be fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts