• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Rega Elex R driving ATC SCM11 (new version)

Romulus

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2014
74
36
10,570
In What HiFi November issue I read the Standmount Speaker group test ( average approx £1000- less or more) and the favourite winner (according to the article) was ATC SCM 11 speakers. The same article recommended or suggested this 'System Builder' which included Rega Elex R amplifier, Naim CD5si CD (its a fine CD heard it in a audition) and Custom Design Stands. I looked up the Rega Elex R amplifier specifications and ATC SCM 11 specifications. To my suprise the power out put for the amplifier was 72.5 watts per channel into 8 ohm and the recommended power amplifier for the speakers was 75 - 300 watts (quoted sensitivity 85d). One review of these speakers suggested that the ATC SCM11 should be powered at least by 100 watt amplifier in order to drive the speakers properly. Has What Hi Fi got it wrong in their choice of amplifier or does the Rega Elex R amplifier have 'special' watts like the Naim amplifiers, is there a secret 'transient power' that enables the amplifier to drive more difficult loads? Can someone please advise me as I am interested in the amplifier.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
Sometimes, you've just got to try it, as specs don't always tell the whole story.

Since I haven't heard this particular pairing I can't comment with certainty, but suspect it would work fine (unless running a disco)....though the Elicit would be better, of course.
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,232
4
19,195
If your listening distance is 3 metres and you listen at an average volume around 85dB and require headroom of 10dB (a 'perceived' doubling of volume) your ATCs need 90 Watts.

4 metres distance and you'll need 160 Watts.

However, you probably aren't buying ATC SCM11s for 'the quiet life' ( :) ), so I would double those figures if you want to let rip without any distortion.

ATC don't write those 75 - 300 watts specs for a giggle.
 

ChrisIRL

New member
Apr 12, 2014
36
0
0
I have this combo and really like it. The Elex r drives them well. Alot will come down to type of music, volume you want to play at, recording quality etc. Overall it gives a very convincing and nice sound. I sit about 12 feet from my speakers and with the volume dial at about 10 o'clock it cruises away at approx 70 to 80db comfortably with plenty to spare.

My previous amp, a Roksan Kandy K2bt at 150 wpc did arguably control them better but didn't sound as nice overall as the Elex r. Then again I was a big fan of the Rega brio r so do like the Rega sound, maybe the Roksan was technically better. You could just go for a Rega Elicit r with it's 110 wpc to be completely safe, at least Rega charge a not unreasonable upgrade price between the Elex and Elicit.
 

ChrisIRL

New member
Apr 12, 2014
36
0
0
Just looking the previous model SCM11, ATC recommended rating was 50 to 300 wpc. The mid/ bass is the exact same unit so I don't know why the jump. I did read a post somewhere once by someone who had worked at ATC that they had a number of speakers returned for warranty repair with burned out voice coils caused most likely by amp clipping. His words, not mine. Perhaps people were pushing them too hard with 50 wpc amps, they do sound nice turned up! (and sound great at low volumes too).
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,232
4
19,195
MUSICRAFT said:
I've used a NAD C325BEE with ATC's SCM7, SCM11, SCM19 and SCM40 MK1 and the current MK2 curved monitors on many occasions over eight years without issue.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft
Excellent! Kerching! Get a NAD and save a packet. (And they don't get more knowledgeable about ATC than Rick.)
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,636
83
19,770
You can drive any speaker with any amp, but in the real world where some, like me, use the amp for playing DVDs and Blu-rays, they need more oomph... this for me is where speaker matching is crucial.

Don't doubt a budget amp will suffice with ATCs if you have a decent dem room or only play CDs but I would struggle to listen to all formats with ATCs and my pokey 80 watt amp.
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
Hi chebby

I just want to clarify that if a NAD C325BEE can get on with the ATC monitors mentioned then an amplifier such as the Elex-R with its higher quality of power/performance is going to get an even more from the ATC's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

Pedro2

Well-known member
Nov 29, 2010
42
0
18,540
I drove the scm11s with a Roksan Caspian power amp. They sounded great although the sound hardened as the volume increased. Think that this was more a characteristic of the amp as it had been commented on by others. Now use a linn Chakra amp with more power. The atc's will just keep on getting better with better source/amplification but can still sound great with amps under 100 watts.
 

Romulus

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2014
74
36
10,570
Thank you for your replies and I am more confused .....! On one hand ATC advise that for a SCM 11 (version 2) a minimum of amplifier power of 75 watts per channel is required, and some suggest a little more in order to get the better control of speakers. On the other hand Rick the HiFi dealer clearly confirms that the NAD C32BEE (power out put only 50 watts per channel) drives the SCM 11 (he does not specify which version?) and SCM 40 speakers without problems. On another thread (Naim Forum) a person confirmed he was using a Naim Nat 5Si amplifier to drive ATC SCM 40 (second version) and he was very satisfied with the sound. I suppose the answer is to experiment myself and audition the components to see for myself.
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,232
4
19,195
Romulus said:
Thank you for your replies and I am more confused .....! On one hand ATC advise that for a SCM 11 (version 2) a minimum of amplifier power of 75 watts per channel is required, and some suggest a little more in order to get the better control of speakers. On the other hand Rick the HiFi dealer clearly confirms that the NAD C32BEE (power out put only 50 watts per channel) drives the SCM 11 (he does not specify which version?) and SCM 40 speakers without problems. On another thread (Naim Forum) a person confirmed he was using a Naim Nat 5Si amplifier to drive ATC SCM 40 (second version) and he was very satisfied with the sound. I suppose the answer is to experiment myself and audition the components to see for myself.
Oh dear! He's dropped enough hints. This is where you find Rick to buy your ATCs ...

http://www.musicraft.co.uk/

And this is where you find Rick to buy your Rega Elex-R ...

http://www.musicraft.co.uk/

He can answer all of your concerns and sell you the gear afterwards.

All the best :)

chebby @ chebbycraft
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
ChrisIRL has this combination and says it works for him. Like I said at the start, I believe it will be OK...but there is no substitute for listening to it yourself.
 

drummerman

New member
Jan 18, 2008
540
1
0
Nad amplifiers have traditionally been very load tolerant and usually have very high dynamic headroom.

I vaguely remember reading a group test of amplifiers up to £1k in which a NAD output almost 1.5kw into the lowest loads. It didn't came out top overall but was in contention. In addition I think it scored the best bench test results for distortion and S/N. - Still got the mag somewhere so could get the info if required.

It would have/will likely outperform the afromentioned Rega Elex in most respects other than perhaps 'musicality' (whatever that means for you personally). The reason I believe it lost that particular test and subjective, as many things Hifi.
 

ChrisIRL

New member
Apr 12, 2014
36
0
0
n
chebby said:
Romulus said:
Thank you for your replies and I am more confused .....! On one hand ATC advise that for a SCM 11 (version 2) a minimum of amplifier power of 75 watts per channel is required, and some suggest a little more in order to get the better control of speakers. On the other hand Rick the HiFi dealer clearly confirms that the NAD C32BEE (power out put only 50 watts per channel) drives the SCM 11 (he does not specify which version?) and SCM 40 speakers without problems. On another thread (Naim Forum) a person confirmed he was using a Naim Nat 5Si amplifier to drive ATC SCM 40 (second version) and he was very satisfied with the sound. I suppose the answer is to experiment myself and audition the components to see for myself.
Oh dear! He's dropped enough hints. This is where you find Rick to buy your ATCs

And this is where you find Rick to buy your Rega Elex-R

He can answer all of your concerns and sell you the gear afterwards.

All the best :)

chebby @ chebbycraft
I purchased my ATCs from Rick after shopping around and couldn't have asked for a more pleasant and professional experience. There was no sales push of any kind, just solid advice and opinion about the SCM11s that I wanted to buy. A couple of weeks after receiving them one of the speakers developed a small cosmetic issue and I couldn't have been looked after better by Rick and ATC and the problem was rectified immediately, all shipping expenses covered.

I contacted Rick again after a couple of months enquiring about a Rega Elex r and whether or not he thought it suitable for the SCM 11s. He suggested it would be perfectly capable as he has done in this thread. So when I decided great, I'll take one please, he informed that he couldn't ship Rega overseas so couldn't personally sell me an Elex r. He didn't try to push any alternative.

Odd that he would confirm to me the suitability of the Elex r despite knowing from the beginning he couldn't sell me one. Glad I took his honest advice too, it's a great combo.
 

radiorog

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2013
54
0
10,540
drummerman said:
Nad amplifiers have traditionally been very load tolerant and usually have very high dynamic headroom.

I vaguely remember reading a group test of amplifiers up to £1k in which a NAD output almost 1.5kw into the lowest loads. It didn't came out top overall but was in contention. In addition I think it scored the best bench test results for distortion and S/N. - Still got the mag somewhere so could get the info if required.

It would have/will likely outperform the afromentioned Rega Elex in most respects other than perhaps 'musicality' (whatever that means for you personally). The reason I believe it lost that particular test and subjective, as many things Hifi.
But which NAD amp was this? They do amps into the £1000's of pounds, so then you would expect it to be a contender.
 

ChrisIRL

New member
Apr 12, 2014
36
0
0
CnoEvil said:
ChrisIRL has this combination and says it works for him. Like I said at the start, I believe it will be OK...but there is no substitute for listening to it yourself.
Hi Cno,

Have you ever listened to the newer SCM11s? I'm a big fan of the LS50s like yourself. I think you could really like the 11s given what you've described liking about the LS50s. They're a very obvious and audible enhancement for a not unreasonable price difference.
 

ChrisIRL

New member
Apr 12, 2014
36
0
0
chebby said:
ChrisIRL said:
I purchased my ATCs from Rick after shopping around and couldn't have asked for a more pleasant and professional experience. There was no sales push of any kind ...
I know, he sold some of the old style SCM11s to a friend of mine. (Tried very hard on the phone to sell me some too.)

I just wish people wouldn't do this silly dance. The mods are history. Sell him a b####y system Rick otherwise i'll break in and take the wretched things around there myself!

All the best.

Take care.

Thank you.

Good night.
? OK, some history I'm unaware of. I can only speak of my own experience which was good.
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,232
4
19,195
ChrisIRL said:
I purchased my ATCs from Rick after shopping around and couldn't have asked for a more pleasant and professional experience. There was no sales push of any kind ...
I know, he sold some of the old style SCM11s to a friend of mine. (Tried very hard on the phone to sell me some too.)

I just wish people wouldn't do this silly dance. The mods are history. We now have a speaker maker (and amplifier distributor/agent) openly flogging stuff here. Sell him a b####y system Rick otherwise (a ) i'll break in and take the wretched things around there myself! (b ) IQ-Abrahamsonson-Boggit will be driving to the guy's house with some freshly glued speakers and a box of Norway's finest.

All the best.

Take care.

Thank you.

Good night.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
ChrisIRL said:
Hi Cno,

Have you ever listened to the newer SCM11s? I'm a big fan of the LS50s like yourself. I think you could really like the 11s given what you've described liking about the LS50s. They're a very obvious and audible enhancement for a not unreasonable price difference.
I'm not aware of anyone who sells them in N.I.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS