Question Record cleaning kit

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

Sorry for my multiple threads.

I’ve recently bought a new deck and have inherited some old LP’s.

There seems to be many options when it comes to cleaning records. My issue sounds like dust and static. Lots of crackles and pops.

Out of interest would the below kit be any good does anyone know? Any recommendations appreciated.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

Separate threads for different questions are a good idea (y)

How many LP's have you inherited?

Invest in a carbon fibre brush first.

If you want the basic deep cleaning method then a Knosti Disco Antistat Gen II is cheapest way to go.

If you're in for the long game then you need to invest in a Project RCM (vacuum), or a Velvet Vortex (ultrasonic), but you'll need deeper pockets for both of these.

You can easily and cheaply make your own cleaning solution for any of the above. Come back when you're ready for the recipe. Oh, and factor in the cost for new liners and poly outers as it's not a good idea to use the old ones once you've cleaned the LPs.

Separate threads for different questions are a good idea (y)

How many LP's have you inherited?

Invest in a carbon fibre brush first.

If you want the basic deep cleaning method then a Knosti Disco Antistat Gen II is cheapest way to go.

If you're in for the long game then you need to invest in a Project RCM (vacuum), or a Velvet Vortex (ultrasonic), but you'll need deeper pockets for both of these.

You can easily and cheaply make your own cleaning solution for any of the above. Come back when you're ready for the recipe. Oh, and factor in the cost for new liners and poly outers as it's not a good idea to use the old ones once you've cleaned the LPs.
What DougK has said...... :) , as I was about to say very similar. It's really going to depend on your budget and the number of LPs you're needing to clean

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
I’ve only got about 20 records. I don’t think I’ll have many more than 50 at the most.

I‘ve ordered the basic kit I listed above. I’ll see what difference if any that makes.

Thanks Doug & Al for your advice (y)

D

Deleted member 108165

You could always see if there is a local LP cleaning business near you.

As a note I've only got about 50 albums but I still invested in a Knosti and then upgraded to a Project RCM... I like toys :)

Oh, and never, ever use tap water for cleaning records as you'll regret it. Cleaning fluids should contain distilled water, IPA and a wetting agent (Ilfotol is good).

Reactions: Al ears
You could always see if there is a local LP cleaning business near you.

As a note I've only got about 50 albums but I still invested in a Knosti and then upgraded to a Project RCM... I like toys :)

Oh, and never, ever use tap water for cleaning records as you'll regret it. Cleaning fluids should contain distilled water, IPA and a wetting agent (Ilfotol is good).
IPA? Thought that came in pints..... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts