Mains cable extentions

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
John Duncan said:
Covenanter said:
Yep it's that kind of thing that led to the current measles epedemic, unscientific mumbo jumbo promoted by an unscrupulous press.

Chris

Whoa. You're comparing the MMR scare with mains cables?

Is this forum part of said unscrupulous press? If so, do I need vaccinated? :twisted:

It would seem some are not susceptible to inoculation.

It all depends on if one caught it early in life....having immunity is key.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
John Duncan said:
Covenanter said:
Yep it's that kind of thing that led to the current measles epedemic, unscientific mumbo jumbo promoted by an unscrupulous press.

Chris

Is this forum part of said unscrupulous press? If so, do I need vaccinated? :twisted:

It would seem some are not susceptible to inoculation.

It all depends on if one caught it early in life....having immunity is key.

Either way, it doesn't appear to be terminal.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

In concept but not necessarily in scale, keep up JD.

So who are the unscrupulous press in this case, out of interest?

I'll let Chris develop his theory in that regard, for both MMR and cables.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

I certainly wasn't saying that there is a similar level of seriousness but that there is a parallel to be drawn. The "unscrupulous press" in this case are those parts of the hifi industry who fail to systematically address these issues contenting themselves instead with making money rather than protecting the consumer. There is of course no regulator to "strike them off" as happened to the MMR man.

Chris

Reggie Mental

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

I would say clueless rather than unscrupulous in this particular case. Can I trust the opinion of a reviewer that claims audible differences between mains blocks?

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
It's certainly worth a shot.

I believe Graham Slee have their own forum, where useful advice might be forthcoming (if you haven't already been down that route).

Edit. This might help: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/do-homeplugs-cause-interference-with...

Thanks for the advice and link. I did contact Graham Slee about it, and got a reply from the man himself - unfortunately it was mostly a moan about EU regulators not protecting small companies!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Reggie Mental said:
Can I trust the opinion of a reviewer that claims audible differences between mains blocks?

Not unless they do 'blind comparisons' and use test equipment to take measurments to confirm that what they think they're hearing is really correct.

Most HiFi magazine reviewers (including WHF) review equipment in sighted tests which are notoriously unreliable. If You can see what you're listening to you're susceptible to expectation bias which can easily cloud your judgement.

Musicnonstop

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Im so convinced by the benefit of clean/regenerated mains, i would like to try one of these.

http://upsmart.co.uk/ag1500-regenerator-1500w-p-1742.html

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Musicnonstop said:
Im so convinced by the benefit of clean/regenerated mains, i would like to try one of these.

http://upsmart.co.uk/ag1500-regenerator-1500w-p-1742.html

The two fans whirring away will surely be a distraction?

And only £499 - bargain! :wall:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Reggie Mental said:
Can I trust the opinion of a reviewer that claims audible differences between mains blocks?

Not unless they do 'blind comparisons' and use test equipment to take measurments to confirm that what they think they're hearing is really correct.

Most HiFi magazine reviewers (including WHF) review equipment in sighted tests which are notoriously unreliable. If You can see what you're listening to you're susceptible to expectation bias which can easily cloud your judgement.

Quite, but how do you listen to an equipment rack (for example)?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:

no different than any other peice of equipment that's not a speaker. I mean you can't *listen* to an amplifier, unless you like the possible noise of electric hum.

It's *knowing* that it's on rack x that gives you the expectation bias. if it's all covered up behind a sheet you have no idea if it's on an av rack or a pygmy shrew :D

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Overdose said:

no different than any other peice of equipment that's not a speaker. I mean you can't *listen* to an amplifier, unless you like the possible noise of electric hum.

It's *knowing* that it's on rack x that gives you the expectation bias. if it's all covered up behind a sheet you have no idea if it's on an av rack or a pygmy shrew :D

It was rather a rhetorical question.

Anyhow, everyone knows that AV equipment on Pygmy shrews would sound flat and lifeless. :shifty:

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:

Anyhow, everyone knows that AV equipment on Pygmy shrews would sound flat and lifeless. :shifty:

Hedgehogs for the win, much more isolation with those spikes :D

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
steve_1979 said:
Reggie Mental said:

Quite, but how do you listen to an equipment rack.

You put HiFi equipment on various different racks and listen to that.

So long as there are no other variables in the test, if you can hear a difference between racks in a 'blind comparison' then you know that these differences are due to the rack as that's the only thing that's been changed.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:

A pygmy shrew would definitely sound flat and lifeless with my 26kg subwoofer on it!

It would probably be quite lively with something like a Squeezebox Touch on it though.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Lawrie, you may want to lose that email address as your username, if you don't want to get spammed! If you want to change, et me know what you'd like your username to be, and I'll sort it.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
I have three Tacima conditioners (one plugged into the mains serving my broadband, sonos and NAS drive, one plugged into the living room for the Sky, BluRay, Sony Stereo amp and Apple TV/EX) and I also have a rather expensive (£60 mains lead plugged directly into the mains feeding my new(ish) panna 50 inch tele and have to say I can't tell the difference.

I did a blind test (using the wife to use just normal mains and the conditioner) for my stereo amp and couldn't notice any difference at all.

The mains cable to the TV 'may' have improved the picture slightly - giving less noise on darker scenes - but my god it is neglible.

Just my opinion people. Pay your money, take your choice! :)

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
That's interesting - having decided it was all a load of nonsense because it failed its primary purpose. I moved it into my home office as I needed a 6 strip instead of a 4 for the burgeoning amount of stuff in there. And I hesitate to say it, but my screen is definitely sharper and I had to turn down the bass on my subwoofer which suddenly seemed a bit over eager. :?

Lawrie

Aug 4, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Andrew. I tried to change that recently.

Any of the following user name would be fine 'Lawrie', 'Lol' or 'Gooner'.

Cheers!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Done – remember you'll need to sign in with your new username and your password when coming back to the site.

And now, it's back to the wire-wrangles...
smiley-wink.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts