Rat Poop inside Kef XQ20 speakers

massano

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Today I opened my Kef XQ20 speakers for the first time. I wanted to remove the crossovers to put them in external boxes, and upgrade the internal wiring, and someday the crossover components.

To my surprise, I found rat poop inside the speakers. I am very disappointed with Kef, and I can only think that this came from their manufacturing in China.

I bought the speakers new, and they have always been in my house. I don't have rats in my house!

I want to alert everyone, because this could have been very dangerous. Rat poop can carry viruses, and it's easy to imagine that inside a bass-reflex speaker, small dust particles can be sent into the air and propagate any disease present in the rat poop.

I have pictures, and I can send to anyone if needed.

Beware of this kind of problem. I will alert Kef. I am very disapointed. I recently had moved this speakers to my child's room, and I don't want to imagine if something bad could happen...

Regards

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ok, so you've got kids for starters and you moved the speakers in to there. How of you know none of them put something in there?

Also, how do you know you don't have rats? Most people who have rats or mice that come in their house never know it.

I'm not saying it didn't happen in china, but you seem to be 100% sure of something you can't prove. just seems a tad odd to come posting on a message board for such things.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
ok, so you've got kids for starters and you moved the speakers in to there. How of you know none of them put something in there?

Also, how do you know you don't have rats? Most people who have rats or mice that come in their house never know it.

I'm not saying it didn't happen in china, but you seem to be 100% sure of something you can't prove. just seems a tad odd to come posting on a message board for such things.

Mice like silk ties. From bitter experience.

Benedict_Arnold said:
cheeseboy said:

I have seen one wearing a bow-tie, perhaps it was yours.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
cheeseboy said:

I have seen one wearing a bow-tie, perhaps it was yours.

Clearly a better class of rodent chez nous *biggrin*

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
massano said:
Hi,

Today I opened my Kef XQ20 speakers for the first time. I wanted to remove the crossovers to put them in external boxes, and upgrade the internal wiring, and someday the crossover components.

To my surprise, I found rat poop inside the speakers. I am very disappointed with Kef, and I can only think that this came from their manufacturing in China.

I bought the speakers new, and they have always been in my house. I don't have rats in my house!

I want to alert everyone, because this could have been very dangerous. Rat poop can carry viruses, and it's easy to imagine that inside a bass-reflex speaker, small dust particles can be sent into the air and propagate any disease present in the rat poop.

I have pictures, and I can send to anyone if needed.

Beware of this kind of problem. I will alert Kef. I am very disapointed. I recently had moved this speakers to my child's room, and I don't want to imagine if something bad could happen...

Regards

Russ What-his-name will be round to collect it shortly. New product - speaker CoG adjustment compound. Adjusts the centre of gravity of your speakers so that they sit more evenly on your stands or carpet spikes. Be sure to order the correct compound according to your speaker type.

99.99 an ounce.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
So how many 'poops' did you find in your speakers?

I've had rats and unless you left your speakers in a room that allowed them undisturbed access I can't see them climbing into your speakers just for a look around.

It probably happened at the factory where the part-assembled speakers were stored.

I wouldn't worry about dust particles - my guests had the full run of all my cavity walls, both roof spaces and under the floorboards and I'm still here to tell the tale. *smile*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts