Question for Plastic Penguin

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry text did not come out last time.
I have some MA RX1 speakers which I hope to eventually upgrade to RX6.
What do you think of pairing them with a Creek Evo 2 amplifier?
Next question is what CD player would you recommend with the above for £600/£700.
Final question do you think there is a better amp at same price.

Lo Fi said:
Where is PP

Been to the outlaws most of the day.

No idea about the RX range - not heard any of them. Assuming they have similar traits to the RS range the SQ and synergy between Creek and MAs is superb.

What source do you have? And what sound are you looking for?

Bare in mind, also, the Evo 2 I dem'd was brand spanking new. The dealer had it delivered to my house direct from Creek and auditioned it for less than a day, even though I was meant to have it for three. The reason was simple: lacked the inputs needed, and no reflection of its ability to perform.

Great match for Creek Evo is Arcam from personal experience. Look at Creek's own Evo CDP, Exposure 2010S or even Rotel.

Edit - Just re-read your original queation and missed the last one. Considering the Creek retails between £600 - £650, invest in the Leema Pulse MKI (my amp). For £699 + carriage you get an awful lot of amp for your money. A great amp for £1300, spectacular for £700. The only caveat with the Pulse is you'll itch for better speakers - think PMC DB11 as absolute minimum.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leema-Acoustics-Pulse-Integrated-Amplifier-Black-NEW-/180689319472?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2a11ec3630

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
Lo Fi said:
Where is PP

No idea about the RX range - not heard any of them. Assuming they have similar traits to the RS range the SQ and synergy between Creek and MAs is superb.

Bare in mind, also, the Evo 2 I dem'd was brand spanking new. The dealer had it delivered to my house direct from Creek and auditioned it for less than a day, even though I was meant to have it for three. The reason was simple: lacked the inputs needed, and no reflection of its ability to perform.

Great match for Creek Evo is Arcam from personal experience. Look at Creek's own Evo CDP, Exposure 2010S or even Rotel.

Edit - Just re-read your original queation and missed the last one. Considering the Creek retails between £600 - £650, invest in the Leema Pulse MKI (my amp). For £699 + carriage you get an awful lot of amp for your money. A great amp for £1300, spectacular for £700. The only caveat with the Pulse is you'll itch for better speakers - think PMC DB11 as absolute minimum.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leema-Acoustics-Pulse-Integrated-Amplifier-Black-NEW-/180689319472?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2a11ec3630

Fully agree with all PP's comments there apart from the Leema Pulse will need better speakers

Absolutely not...

The Leema Pulse (and I've heard it with both) will drive the M/A RX2's and RX6's absolutely superb

For me though the Leema needs a good source; minimim Rega Apollo/Cyrus 6SE or Audiolab 8200 CDP's

hifilover1979 said:
plastic penguin said:
Lo Fi said:
Where is PP

Fully agree with all PP's comments there apart from the Leema Pulse will need better speakers

Absolutely not...

The Leema Pulse (and I've heard it with both) will drive the M/A RX2's and RX6's absolutely superb

For me though the Leema needs a good source; minimim Rega Apollo/Cyrus 6SE or Audiolab 8200 CDP's

If the OP is like me, he'll want to find out what the Leema is fully capable of, and to that end it'll take a good £1,500 speaker, hence why I mentioned the "itch". I agree, in isolation, the Leema and MAs is as close as ideal as one could hope for at the figures currently banded. My biggest mistake was comparing Totem Arro with MAs a few months back.

Leema and MA? sublime.

Would like to add that in a previous post about 3 weeks ago (can't remember the title or poster) I did state that after hearing Totems, PMCs and various CDPs, I thought I was only achieving about 65% of the Leemas full potential*, with my current set-up. Given how content I am with my set-up I would rather have a contented 65% than a unhappy 100%, if that makes sense.

*This is a pure guesstimate, not based on conjecture or science.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your valuable advice PP.

I will have a look at the Leema on special offer looks a bargain.

Going back to the Creek are you saying that the Arcam CD17 current model is a good source along with the EVO and Exposure CDPs.

Current source is a Sony 23 year old Midi System hence changes.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Forgot to ask which model Arcam and Rotel CDP you thought would be a good match, bearing in mind I prefer to buy new.

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

The Arcam CD17 is a good player but better can be had (i.e. Rega Apollo) etc...

Personally I wouldnt go for the Rotel CDP's. They're good but the Arcam CD17 is better...

Other than those I think the next along would be the Audiolab 820CD

2nd hand through will give you a few other options (i.e. Arcam CD192, Rega Saturn etc...)

Lo Fi said:
Forgot to ask which model Arcam and Rotel CDP you thought would be a good match, bearing in mind I prefer to buy new.

Thanks again

As dan mentioned the CD17 can is a good player. However, if it were my money I'd be looking at Exposure 2010S2 with the Creek: the Exposure is very snappy sounding, whereas the Arcam and the Rega (not heard but told that it is smooth).

As regards Rotel, I was basing my knowledge on older models. The newer ones don't get very good reviews but still worth checking out.

If you go with Leema then the Rega Apollo would be minimum (Saturn would be better), up to Roksan Caspian M2.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Think I may well go for the Leema it is actually the Leema Pulse II which I assume is OK, they are also selling the Leema Stream II CD for £599 do you think this is worth having, the What Hi Fi review is not that great.

Assuming I do get the Pulse 2 what do you think is the best CDP to purchase, new that is don't like buying SH, to go with my RX1s

A

Anonymous

The Leema CDP isnt great IMO

My £££ would be on the Audiolab 8200CD or the Cyrus 6SE CDP

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I could get either for about the same price but the Cyrus is the 2010 model which has recently been updated, what do you think

In that case I'd avoid Cyrus, Leema CDPs. Instead my original choice of Arcam, Exposure, Audiolab and Creek's own Evo CDP will do the trick nicely. If you're listening to a bright set-up for long periods it'll more than likely grate, hence the question.

Hope that's helped.

T

the record spot

If you can clap hands on a NOS Marantz SA7001-KI it'll bring one of the most analogue sounding digital front ends to your living room that you'll get for the money. Was £600, but if you can find one, you'll do well with it. Lovely player. Failing that, the excellent Leema Stream was very well reviewed and can be had for £600. Worth shortlisting if nothing else.

the record spot said:
If you can clap hands on a NOS Marantz SA7001-KI it'll bring one of the most analogue sounding digital front ends to your living room that you'll get for the money. Was £600, but if you can find one, you'll do well with it. Lovely player. Failing that, the excellent Leema Stream was very well reviewed and can be had for £600. Worth shortlisting if nothing else.

I'm old and experienced enough not to write off a product unless I've heard the Leema CDP, but I remember when WHFI review 'One Make System' test about 18 months ago they said that the Leemas are great for very short listening sessions, but concluded it was too in ya face.

BTW, excuse my ignorance, but what is "NOS"?

Cheers, pp

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
In that case I'd avoid Cyrus, Leema CDPs. Instead my original choice of Arcam, Exposure, Audiolab and Creek's own Evo CDP will do the trick nicely. If you're listening to a bright set-up for long periods it'll more than likely grate, hence the question.

Which models PP dont want to get it wrong, dont forget I prefer new

Lo Fi said:

Which models PP dont want to get it wrong, dont forget I prefer new

Arcam CD17, Exposure 2010S2, Audiolab 8200. Another one which springs to mind is Roksan Kandy K2, or if finances allow Caspian M2.

A

Anonymous

I dont agree with avoiding the Cyrus CDP; it's a superb player and fits in well with a majority of systems

If you're refering to the usualy 'Cyrus' sound; you'll find that it's the amp that mainly brings that problem up

Dolnt discount the Cyrus until you've heard it at least; not just on nay say or peoples opinions

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts