Question for Monitor Audio RX / Radius HD Owners

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Help - I currently have 2 x B&W M1 as Front L & R and a Kef Ci3-80QT in ceiling for my centre speaker.

But the Kef is struggling to produce a decent sound stage, 87hz to 27khz (I think), you can tell the M1's are picking out more detail at the top end, and as the centre handles 60% of the sound, I feel I need something with more range at both ends of the spectrum, hence not just buying another M1, so:

I am thinking of replacing my Front L, C & R speakers with either of the following 2 options:

Option 1: 1 x Radius 250HD centre (goes down to 50Hz) and 2 x Radius 180HD Front / Left (60Hz I think)

OR

Option 2: 1 x RX C centre and 2 x RX1 Front / Left (both go down to 45HZ)

Currently running on a denon 1910 (may upgrade to the 2310) with a Velodyne Impact Mini Sub.

How do your MA's sound? and do you think I will hear a improved sound stage than I have currently

markjaspi:

Help - I currently have 2 x B&W M1 as Front L & R and a Kef Ci3-80QT in ceiling for my centre speaker.

But the Kef is struggling to produce a decent sound stage, 87hz to 27khz (I think), you can tell the M1's are picking out more detail at the top end, and as the centre handles 60% of the sound, I feel I need something with more range at both ends of the spectrum, hence not just buying another M1, so:

I am thinking of replacing my Front L, C & R speakers with either of the following 2 options:

Option 1: 1 x Radius 250HD centre (goes down to 50Hz) and 2 x Radius 180HD Front / Left (60Hz I think)

OR

Option 2: 1 x RX C centre and 2 x RX1 Front / Left (both go down to 45HZ)

Currently running on a denon 1910 (may upgrade to the 2310) with a Velodyne Impact Mini Sub.

How do your MA's sound? and do you think I will hear a improved sound stage than I have currently

Hi markjaspi

Either of the Monitor Audio options will give you superior results than you curently have.

With the Radius HD Series (if your budget allows and can accomodate them) than i would suggest that you try and go for three R250HD's as they are quite a bit better than the R180HD's.

However the pick of the bunch is the new Silver RX series which will even show the already superb Radius HD range a thing or two.

The Monitor Audio speakers will be fine with the AVR-1910. If you are thinking of upgrading to the AVR-2310 than please also consider Yamaha's RX-V1065 or better still the new RX-V2065. Yamaha AV amps + Monitor Audio speakers = great match (time after time).
emotion-1.gif
In addition to the Mini Sub MA's R370HD and also the superb RSW-12 (now discontinued although new ones can are still available for £400-500) are also worth consideration.

Btw, what rear speakers are you using?

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

You seem to have quite a collection of speakers - I take it the polk's do surround duties ?

As for the main 3 (L,C,R,) it always best to go with matching speakers preferably, but definitely matching drivers.

Can you not add another M1 ?

Questions ref the MA's would be -

Do you want the L+R to sit flush on the wall ? If yes then the HD Radius would suit very nicely although I would recommend at least R225's rather than 180's (good for rears).

If space is good then the Silver RX are also very good indeed, but the centre is a pretty big unit in height (6" drivers) and the RX1's would need stands and be placed not to near any walls as they are rear ported.

As for how mine sound, well I am more than happy and it is the first time in a long time that I feel that upgrading is far off in the future. The sound stage is superb - mine are approx 8' apart for the L+R, they handle sound tracks brilliantly and do a decent job with music also. My wife and I think that the MA's look as good as they sound and they blend so well around our display.

I don't think you will go wrong either way and it will be interesting what others think as well.

Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Guys,

Thanks for your input, yes my speakers have sort of evolved rather unlogically.

I originally had Polk audio LCi80's front L&R, and LCi60s Centre & surrounds, in a 7.1 standard setup, fed by a Onkyo 876, due to the position of my projector screen, recessed into the ceiling.

I then felt the LCi60 was lacking for centre duties so replaced it with the kef (bargain on ebay).bad move.

In the mean time we had a new baby so we reduced the 876 to a 1910 and don't seem to use the projector (baby's room just above the lounge) then, I tried the new Dolby Prologic Z, hence the addition of the 2 x BMW M1's as a short term measure (cheap as chips).

So with now with no screen, I can now wall mount the centre Below the TV, hence I want a complete new front end from one manufacturer, with my Polk Audio LCi80's doing front height & LCi60's rear surround duites.

Both options would have to be wall mounted on some sort of bracket, so I guess your saying that the RX1's will not be suitable.

I have seen a bracket for the RX centre made by B-tech although it is not pretty, and altough I like the idea of the the RX range, i think my wife, when given the option will want the radius HD's (She just want's her lounge back I think)

A

Anonymous

Better idea of things now.

The supplied mounting brackets for the Radius HD's are absolutely the easiest and best that I have ever come across.

Each bracket comes with a paper template that you simply mark through in the orientation of your choice and then drill / screw the bracket in place. The speaker then simply mounts on to it allowing also for concealed wiring (or not) and the end result is a speaker that sits solidly about 5mm off the wall - you can add the supplied rubber domes to hold the speaker square or (as I did) add two large ones on the outer top and bottom and two smaller ones on the inner top and bottom to give a degree of toe-in.

All the best.

markjaspi:

Guys,

Thanks for your input, yes my speakers have sort of evolved rather unlogically.

I originally had Polk audio LCi80's front L&R, and LCi60s Centre & surrounds, in a 7.1 standard setup, fed by a Onkyo 876, due to the position of my projector screen, recessed into the ceiling.

I then felt the LCi60 was lacking for centre duties so replaced it with the kef (bargain on ebay).bad move.

In the mean time we had a new baby so we reduced the 876 to a 1910 and don't seem to use the projector (baby's room just above the lounge) then, I tried the new Dolby Prologic Z, hence the addition of the 2 x BMW M1's as a short term measure (cheap as chips).

So with now with no screen, I can now wall mount the centre Below the TV, hence I want a complete new front end from one manufacturer, with my Polk Audio LCi80's doing front height & LCi60's rear surround duites.

Both options would have to be wall mounted on some sort of bracket, so I guess your saying that the RX1's will not be suitable.

I have seen a bracket for the RX centre made by B-tech although it is not pretty, and altough I like the idea of the the RX range, i think my wife, when given the option will want the radius HD's (She just want's her lounge back I think)

Hi markjaspi

Fair enough.

If the speakers are to be wall mounted than the Radius HD series will be ideal. As soulton has already mentioned (good post btw) the Radius HD speakers are supplied with their own brackets which are easy to wall mount (i have six R90HD's and one R250HD wall mounted in store and they look and sound stunning).

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Rick,

Thanks I think I have made my mind up now on the Radius option, I can get 1 x 250HD & 2 x 225HD for £630 or 3 x 225HD for £600 so I just need to decide which of those is the best way to go.

Mark

markjaspi:

Rick,

Thanks I think I have made my mind up now on the Radius option, I can get 1 x 250HD & 2 x 225HD for £630 or 3 x 225HD for £600 so I just need to decide which of those is the best way to go.

Mark

Hi Mark

I would than go for the second option.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Everyone,

I am based in Singapore, and interested to purchase 3 x 250HD (L/R/C) to go with my Definitive Technology UIW-55 rear speakers (in-ceiling downward firing).

Will that configuration pair well?

Also, there's no dealer in Singapore that has 250HD. In fact I was told no one in Singapore probably have the 250HD. But I've heard the 90HD. Is there alot of difference between the 90HD and 250HD and is it worth investing in 250HD?
Any feedback and suggestions will be much appreciated!
Many Thanks,

Henry

henrykck:

Hi Everyone,

I am based in Singapore, and interested to purchase 3 x 250HD (L/R/C) to go with my Definitive Technology UIW-55 rear speakers (in-ceiling downward firing).

Will that configuration pair well?

Also, there's no dealer in Singapore that has 250HD. In fact I was told no one in Singapore probably have the 250HD. But I've heard the 90HD. Is there alot of difference between the 90HD and 250HD and is it worth investing in 250HD?
Any feedback and suggestions will be much appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Henry

Hi Henry

I am not sure whether the 250HD's would pair well with the definitive speakers however the 225/250HD's are worth the extra outlay over the R90hd's.

Btw, what AV amp and sub do you use?

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks Rick. I have not bought my AV amp and sub yet. But I am thinking of the Denon 3310 amp and probably the RXW-12 sub.

Any good recommendations?

Best,

Henry

markjaspi:

Rick,

Mark

There's no difference between the R250HD & R225HD except the size of the speaker cabinets. I went for 3 X 225HDs instead of 250HDs to save £75. My speakers were being housed in a cabinet in any case.

The R250HD speakers match height for height with 50-inch TVs.

henrykck:

Thanks Rick. I have not bought my AV amp and sub yet. But I am thinking of the Denon 3310 amp and probably the RXW-12 sub.

Any good recommendations?

Best,

Henry

Hi Henry

Please also consider Yamaha's RX-V2065 or RX-V3900. A great match for the Monitor Audio's. You are spot on with the RXW-12.

Happy new year.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Rick,

I keep going around in circles with this one and still can not decide which way to go.

I think if I bought 3 x 225's I would still wish I had bought the RX range.

Is there a huge differenece in performance, because although I would be wall mounting the RXC and RX1's (may even stretch to the RX2's), I could ensure that they are not flat to wall.

I am just thinking in terms of avoiding any future upgrades that my be required, and If I redecorate in the future (when my toddler stops touching everything see should not) I may be able to sit them on stands.

So would you consider the RX range much superior to the raduis HD's

markjaspi:

Rick,

I keep going around in circles with this one and still can not decide which way to go.

I think if I bought 3 x 225's I would still wish I had bought the RX range.

Is there a huge differenece in performance, because although I would be wall mounting the RXC and RX1's (may even stretch to the RX2's), I could ensure that they are not flat to wall.

I am just thinking in terms of avoiding any future upgrades that my be required, and If I redecorate in the future (when my toddler stops touching everything see should not) I may be able to sit them on stands.

So would you consider the RX range much superior to the raduis HD's

Hi Mark

As i said earlier as good as the Radius HD Series is the Silver RX's will show them a thing or two. The Silver RX's are not as convenient to accomodate and can cost more than the Radius HD however the extra effort/expense is worth it.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

My two penneth would be as Rick says the RX's are certainly an upward step to the HD's IMO.

You could also try the RXFX rears They look pretty cool against the wall, and you could get the white ones to match the paint work assuming it's a light decor
emotion-5.gif

A
emotion-21.gif
to the RXW12 too.

A

Anonymous

Happy New Year and thanks again Rick for the recommendations.

I checked with the Monitor Audio distributor here in Singapore and the 3 x 250HD order will take about 3 months!!! Or pay for all the UPS shipping myself if I want to expedite it. Not sure if I have the patience to wait that long and will probably cost a couple of hundreds more if I pay for shipping myself....
emotion-6.gif

They have the 3 x 225 (non HD) in stock currently - but what's the difference between the 225 and 225/250HD? Should I go with this option instead of waiting/paying more for shipping?

Many Thanks,

Henry

A

Anonymous

Rick,

I am definately going with the RX option, in terms of future upgrades for the Amp, I like the prologic II Z Height, so the Yamaha's are out of the question.

How would the Onkyo 807 match these speakers or maybe the 1007.

Thanks for your help,

Mark

henrykck:

Happy New Year and thanks again Rick for the recommendations.

I checked with the Monitor Audio distributor here in Singapore and the 3 x 250HD order will take about 3 months!!! Or pay for all the UPS shipping myself if I want to expedite it. Not sure if I have the patience to wait that long and will probably cost a couple of hundreds more if I pay for shipping myself....
emotion-6.gif

They have the 3 x 225 (non HD) in stock currently - but what's the difference between the 225 and 225/250HD? Should I go with this option instead of waiting/paying more for shipping?

Many Thanks,

Henry

Hi Henry

As bigboss mentioned earlier there is no peformance difference between the R225HD and R250HD. The differece is that the 250HD is 760mm wide and weighs 5.2kg (for 50-60" screens) and the R225HD is 610mm wide and weighs 4.8kg (for 40" screens).

If you don't need a speaker the size of the R250HD than go for the R225HD.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

markjaspi:

Rick,

I am definately going with the RX option, in terms of future upgrades for the Amp, I like the prologic II Z Height, so the Yamaha's are out of the question.

How would the Onkyo 807 match these speakers or maybe the 1007.

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Hi Mark

I would not discount the Yamaha's just yet because they have offered their 'presence' (front effect/height) on their AV amps for as long as i can remember. It is only now that others are now bringing out their versions. And lets not forget Yamaha's DSP (Digital Soundfield Processing) and not Digital Signal Processing.

RX-V0165, RX-V2065, RX-V3900 or DSP-Z7 (when the fireworks begin
emotion-1.gif
) with the Silver RX's will do the trick nicely. You can than use R45HD or as i do R90HD for front presence.

Choose a Yamaha my friend. Yamaha inspires confidence.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Rick,

Thanks I will look into these amps then, one last question promise.

Although I can physically fit the RXC in, it's going to look ugly(bracket not the speaker) compared to the 225HD, I am set on the RX1's, would a 225HD with the RX1's match sonically or is it a no go in your opinion.

(Our should I just not tell the wife & set up the RXC whilst she's at work and waiting for the fireworks when she gets home)

markjaspi:

Rick,

Thanks I will look into these amps then, one last question promise.

Although I can physically fit the RXC in, it's going to look ugly(bracket not the speaker) compared to the 225HD, I am set on the RX1's, would a 225HD with the RX1's match sonically or is it a no go in your opinion.

(Our should I just not tell the wife & set up the RXC whilst she's at work and waiting for the fireworks when she gets home)

Hi Mark

If you can get away with the RX-LCR and also enjoy fireworks
emotion-5.gif
than this is the ideal option. If not, the R225HD will still work well with the RX1's although the quality won't be as good as the RX-LCR.

Btw, i am innocent in this.
emotion-5.gif
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Sonically the drivers are totally different so I would not 'mix and match' ranges of speakers even from the same manufacturer.

I agree that the silver RX will out perform the Radius (more so musically) and if you can accomodate, then go for them.

As for mounting the centre, then have a play at making your own mount - I had AE Aegis 3 floorstanders and their large matching centre at one time and had a company bend a piece of 4mm steel plate (90 degrees) which was just short of the speaker cabinet size which I then fixed to the wall as a 'L' and stood the centre speaker on it. You could not see the bracket once I sprayed it black to match the cabinet of the speaker - even from the side it just did not stand out.

Just an idea.

A

Anonymous

Soulton,

Thanks for your input, I think I would just go for the B-tech Brackets and spray the white to match the gloss white speakers.

As for the RX1's I am just a little nervous about using a universal bracket (suitable for 7kg of course) and screwing into the rear casing of the speaker, although MA's tech. adviors had said this would be Ok.

Spoilt by previous lifestyle speakers having their own brackets I suppose.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Rick. The stock that the distributor has currently is for the R225 (non-HD). Is there a difference between R225 and R225HD?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts