Question for Andrew Everard - Denon or Teac All in one? And Tannoy V1 or Monitor Audio BR1?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - I currently have a Teac CR-H240 from a few years back, and wondered whether anyone knows if the Denon DM-38DAB sounds significantly better, or whether I'd just be better off buying better speakers for the Teac? Sound quality is very important to me so am happy to get the Denon if it's superior. I read Andrew Everard's recommendation of the Tannoy Mercury V1 speakers with the Denon in a post a couple of weeks ago, but I wondered what people thought of the MA BR1s against the V1s, as I know these are still available from some retailers. I listen to all kinds of music including classical and often historical recordings from the 20's and 30's. I'm hoping Andrew is reading this and can comment...! Cheers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:Andrew, if he's lucky, is on his way to Japan for the holidays, so you might have to wait a bit for his recommendation...

Still skiing/dog-sledding to Helsinki airport probably.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I've done quite a bit of listening to the Denon M37 (will be near identical to 38) with Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs (again, not V1 but similar?) - I've found classical (Radio 3 DAB) is what the system's least impressive with. Much better with rock and pop (e.g. 6 Music), so perhaps save yourself the money on the unit and put it toward speakers.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Greetings from the Finnair lounge at Helsinki airport, where it's a bracing -20C outside.

Given that I'd suggest you buy the Denon CD receiver unit - the RCD-M38DAB - without the 'standard' speakers, I'd say your best course of action would be to buy the speakers - either the BR1s or the V1s would do very nicely - and try them with your TEAC system, then try to get an audition of the Denon with the same speakers.

You may well find the TEAC, with the addition of some better speakers, will do everything you want.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Greetings from the Finnair lounge at Helsinki airport, where it's a bracing -20C outside.

Yet oddly not closed and aircraft are coming and going as usual.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Lee H:Andrew Everard:

This one again? Can you not work it out for yourself?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
the_lhc:Lee H:Andrew Everard:

Meaning?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Lee H:the_lhc:Lee H:Andrew Everard:

Meaning?

Meaning can you not work out why an airport that has snow for the best part of half the year, every year might deal with it better than one that gets it once or twice a decade?

Anyway there are better threads where this has already been discussed, the one called something like "Another month of this" has been through it in some detail.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not going to bicker, so this will be my last post on the subject. It's just immensely frustrating that after the death of my father in law at the weekend in Florida, my wife has been unable to fly out to go to his funeral due to the weather. Whether the snow is a regular or irregular occurrence doesn't take that away.

Andrew, enjoy your trip. OP, hope you like your upcoming purchase.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts