Denon AVRx2000 vs Yamaha RXV675 vs Sony 1040 best receiver pound for pound

will2012

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Am looking to replace my old Yamaha RXV595. Need some advise on which receiver is best for the Money - also with Tannoy HTS-101 speaker package

Denon AVRx2000 @ £249.00 or £579.00 inc speakers

Yamaha 675 @ £349.00 or £649.00 inc speakers

Sony 1040 @ £399.00 or £699.00 inc speakers

2 things about the RXV595 which annoyed me;

1) speech never seemed loud enough (the effects drowned out the words)

2) No stereo sound from all 4 or 5 speakers (the options were 2 cannel stereo, mono movie or an effect that seemed to ruin the sound)

Any advice much appreciated (or alternative speakers) and can a stereo sound be achieved incorporating the rear channels from any of these 3 receivers? I understand from Denon that it has a "Multi-channel stereo" setting, Can't find anything on the Yamaha or Sony?

I did not get chance to read the What HiFI supertest results for these three, but that was when they were all £500, now the Denon is £150 cheaper than Sony. Suppliers I have spoken to have said the Yamaha sound is much better than the Denon and even suggested the Yamaha 475 as being better.

I had also considered using a more discreet setup using boston xs se package in white (denon 2000 and boston around £470) and maybe a set of Tannoy mercury V1 @ £80 for music?

Thanks

Will

mattd90

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I listened to the very same choice and although I have always been pretty sceptical of award winners I cannot fault the Sony STR-DN1040 as not only does it have more options for connection and streaming than the others it's sound is very immersive and has brought my old Jamo A102's back to life over the Onkyo TX-NR509 it has replaced. As a Jack of all trades it's perfect for the centre of my AV/HIFI needs.

Auto calibration was as near as it gets to bang on the money and the centre speaker now has vocals which are authoritative and cut through the loudest of scenes.

All crossovers were automatically set bang on for my taste and once the Q-Acoustics speakers arrive soon I've no doubt the bar will raise again.

I've just paid £399 for it and it's the best money I've ever spent. Outstanding piece of kit that has given me the AV bug all over again.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Matt on this.

Watched oblivion last night and the sound was spectacular, from the intense scenes to the detailed parts, no complaints here.

Music is were this amp impresses more though, streaming directly from the NAS or Sonos gives great detail. I use pure direct if I'm sat in front and multi stereo if I'm playing pool which seems to give a fuller sound (maybe it's something to do with the in-ceiling rear speakers diffusion of the music).

Absolutely no complaints, fully recommended here. Haven't listened to the other amps so can't compare.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts