New Or Old Amp For Under £200

antandshar

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have £200 to buy a new or old amplifier and was wondering if it's best to go for a new or secondhand one? I appreciate that older secondhand amps may have potential problems, but i'm just not sure what to do. I've bought several amps since getting back into listening to music, but they've all been second hand. That's not to say they've all been bad, but just not what i hoped. I have just sold my Tannoy 633 floorstanders after reading the review for the Monitor Audio BX2 Bronze and was so pleased i bought them as the sound is great, and now it's got me wondering if a new amp would be a bigger improvement or a "better" used one?

I'm currently using a Teac AH-500i component amp. It's a dual monoblock amp with a huge Torordial transformer. It has had great reviews online and has a great sound but is quite old now. My CD player is a Sony CDP-XB930 QS (with puck) which I quite like the sound of and of course my BX2's. The amp i'm thinking of getting is the Yamaha AS500. Richer sounds are selling one at my local store for £160, ex demo but with no remote or box. The used one's i've been looking at are the Cyrus one, Marantz PM5005 or a Rotel, although i'm not sure which would be the best model. The Marantz is actually in my budget new from richer sounds, as is the Denon PMA720AE and I like the look of the Yamaha AS201. Really confused! Please help. One thing more, My local hifi shop is selling a used Arcam Delta 290 for £150. Are these a good amp? I like Punchy, lively music with a good soundstage and forward vocals.

TRENDING THREADS